replacing a replacement - Warranty terms

carlostjackal

Aug 2, 2012
Hi everyone and firstly thanks for taking the time to read this message.

I am new to the forum and it looks like a great place to get tonnes of information.

Anyway, back to the reason for my posting.

Put simply

I bought headphones in April 2011
They failed and were replaced under warrantly in Sept 2011
The replacement headphones have now also failed so I wanted them replaced under warranty
I am being told by the supplier that 'under the sale of good act' the warranty runs from the original purchase and not from when they were replaced.

Is this correct? I've searched the sale of good act and my head almost exploded.

I don't want to go back to the company unless I know my rights (as this is the first time I've had this and they deal with it all day)

Hope someone can help.

Carl

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
I'm afraid that I think they are correct.

A warranty is separate contract, if you like, provided by the seller/manufacturer in addition to the goods supplied. It is like insurance for 1 year and they are not obliged to give you a warranty at all.

If the warranty is for 12 months them they are obliged to conform with the warranty conditions in those 12 months. They would be obliged to replace goods as often as necessary in those 12 months but when the warranty comes to an end (after the initial 12 months) then you no longer have a warranty at all.

If the warranty started again each time they exchanged goods then it could continue for life!