Samsung Despair

Chris Hempsall

Jun 11, 2013
Hi,

I purchased a new Samsung Note 10.1 in December 2012. I purchased this tablet computer in Qatar where I lived at the time. Since then I have returned home to live in the UK.

This tablet computer no longer works. I contacted Samsung to explain and was asked to return it to their service centre so that it could be repaired under the warranty which the product was supposed to be supplied with.

After about a week the tablet was returned to me with a product repair card that indicated a number of tests had been carried out and the problems rectified. However, as the device would still not switch on, that was obviously not the case. Only after searching the courier packaging further did I discover a letter which stated that Samsung were not obliged to repair my product as it was not purchased in the EU. (In actual fact the later states that the reason the product is not working is because it is of non-European origin - this is obviously not correct as it has worked in three different EU countries over the last six months).

Subsequently to this I contacted Samsung's "Senior Customer Services Executive" who replied with the same information; essentially that because the product wasn't purchased in the EU they were not obliged to repair it. However, he did suggest that I contact Samsung in the Middle East so that they could arrange to repair it.

I have now contacted Samsung in the Middle East (several times!) and received a response that tells me I cannot courier the product back to them and they will only accept deliveries for warranty repairs by the customer in person. In other words I would need to purchase a circa £700 airline ticket in order to return a £400 product!

Samsung UK's position appears to be that although I live in the UK my tablet wasn't purchased here so it's not their problem. The position of Samsung in the Middle East appears to be that although my tablet was purchased in the Middle East I no longer live there so it's not their problem!

I paid a premium price for my tablet computer because I believed that a global business such as Samsung would provide good, or at least adequate, customer service. They have not. I am not unhappy that it has developed a fault, I understand that complicated electronic devices will occasionally do this, but I am disgusted that Samsung are refusing to repair it. As far as I can see Samsung expect to receive all the benefits of globalisation whilst not accepting any of the responsibilities or, perhaps less politely, are engaged in trying to cheat me!

When I think of the numerous duty-free outlets in the Middle East airports selling electronic goods I realise what a widespread scam this must be.

Regards,

Chris Hempsall