Samsung Digital Camera

TheatreTechie1989

Jul 17, 2013
My partner bought me a Samsung digital camera on 27th Dec 2011.

In June 2012, the camera developed a fault. The screen would start to go white at the bottom, until the whole screen was completely white. At this point the camera would lock up and have no function, even after switching off and on again, the screen would immediately show white and the camera would not function. I changed the card and the battery, and still no joy. After a few hours, I switched on again and the camera functioned, but only for a short time before the fault re-occurred.

At this point, I returned it to the retailer, who performed a factory reset and advised me to try it again, and if the fault re-occurred, contact Samsung directly.

The next time I used the camera, all was fine, but a couple of months later the fault returned.

I contacted Samsung, who advised me to send the camera to them for a free repair as it was still under warranty. This I did, and the camera was returned to me after a couple of weeks, and all was fine.

After one or two uses, the fault showed up again. I then contacted Samsung, and once again returned the camera to them for a free repair, although it was now just out of warranty. When the camera returned, it appeared to be working correctly.

I have not used the camera much until recently, but a couple of weeks ago the same fault returned. I contacted Samsung again, and they told me that they would repair the camera for a third time, but on this occasion it would be charged for as the camera was now out of warranty. I explained to them that the fault is the same and the problem has obviously not been resolved. I told them that considering this, they should not charge me. I was then told there was nothing they could do, it was out of warranty, and the repair is now chargeable. It’s their policy.

Should I pursue this matter with Samsung, or should I take it further?

The camera has only been used a dozen or so times since new, and is in mint condition. I have used only Samsung batteries, cards and accessories with it.

As this has been a re-occurring fault from new, would I be right in assuming the fault was a manufacturer's defect, and considering it has been sent for repair twice and the fault has never been rectified, surely it should still be repaired, replaced, or a refund given under the warranty? After all, the fault renders the unit unsuitable for its intended purpose.

Where do I stand with regards to this matter?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You would need to go back to the retailer rather than Samsung, explain the situation and ask them to pay for the repair. See the Sale of Goods link below. I hope that helps.

TheatreTechie1989

Jul 17, 2013
You would need to go back to the retailer rather than Samsung, explain the situation and ask them to pay for the repair. See the Sale of Goods link below. I hope that helps.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

As suggested, we contacted PC World, who advised us to drop the camera into their nearest outlet, and we were given a case number and contact number for the shop assistant to call.

We popped into our local branch, and spoke to a nice chap who phoned the number we had been given previously. He told us that all PC World could do, was offer £65.00. We told them that this was not good enough, and that the camera since purchase has continued to show the same fault, and is therefore unfit for its purpose. The man told me to contact head office, but there was probably not more they could do or offer.

As far as I'm concerned, it is disappointing, and an insult to have been told this.

Should I now take this matter further? Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks again.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How much did you pay for it? How much are second-hand ones on eBay going for? Refunds do not have to be for the full amount