Samsung Laptop/Argos Query

GafferGC

Dec 6, 2010
Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me out with a query.

I purchased a laptop from Argos in May this year a few weeks back the DVD/CD drive stopped working I always had it in mind to call Argos about it but as most of my media was saved on the laptop it wasn't a major hassle.

Anyway last Monday, I power the laptop up it comes on I log on etc and suddenlt it turns itself off and I can't get power to go through. When the AC adapter is plugged in the LED light is flashing furiously when I disconect adapter from the laptop the LED light stays on.

So I make the call to Argos Customer services and after a 10 minute call I'm advised that the guy can't help, fair enough so he gives me the number for the techs and I call them only to find out they are closed due to weather conditions. I eventually get through on Tuesday and speak to a tech who can't help so he advised that they would pass details to their engineers who would contact me to arrange collection and repair - which initially I am happy with. They call promptly within a few hours advise that DHL not meeting delivery targets due to weather again understandable so I agree to take the laptop to the store for them to get it to the engineers.

I am told it could take 16 days for repair. Now this is were my problem comes in, I am a self employed odds compiler for an online bookmaker and my laptop is my main tool for work I am losing between £100 - £225 per day. Can I claim any of this back from Argos? Do I have the right to demand a new machine, I don't accept that a laptop under 7 months old should develop two major faults.

I spoke to a duty manager in store who gave me the customer service number he told me to phone them to complain as he couldn't authorise a new laptop and as he wasn't a store manager he was the highest point it could go to in the store. I called customer service like I was told to do and the agent I spoke with again wasn't helpful despite her being "empathetic to my position"

Sorry if thats a bit long winded just wanted to paint the picture.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

GC