Second hand car with major faults help!

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
Hi,
I purchased a second hand car for my daughter,who is a learner,and her boyfriend 2 weeks ago.
The car was clean,automatic,low mileage,48,000 and we paid £1795 for it.
24 hours after we collected it warning lights came up and it went into limp mode twice in 2 days!
She rang the dealer the next morning who advised her to ring the warranty company,which she did,and they told her to take it to a garage,find the problem(s) and ask the garage to contact them.
I took the car into the garage,had it on the diagnostics which revealed 13 active faults!
He advised me there were 2 serious auto gearbox faults and the repair would be £1200 plus vat,Accelerator faults would be £260 and 2 x cat faults,and other faults which would amount to a lot more than the value of the car.
The warranty company said nothing was covered so i returned the car to the garage,showed them the report and requested my money back.They said 1 problem can bring a few faults up,battery was flat that caused it blah blah blah.......
They said i had to give them a chance to check it and possibly repair it,which i agreed to on advice from trading standards.
They have taken it to 'their garage',it is still there at the moment,who have basically erased all the faults,and as no warning lights have come on for 2 days,they are saying there are no faults and the car is fine!
I have been assured,and got it in writing,from my garage that the gearbox faults cannot come on due to a flat battery or any other problem,the gearbox is slipping and also has low pressure,plus a list of all the other faults found.
I have again told the dealer i want a refund because of the faults and also my daughter has no confidence in the car and doesn't want it back!
She is very upset with it all as it is her 1st car.
They have stated that if by the middle of next week no faults show up the car is ours,if they do,they will give a refund.
The faults will come up again at some point but any advice would be very welcome as i believe if any faults did show up they would erase them again and still say it's fine.
We don't want the car back for the above reasons and also she would have a repair bill of £1200 plus vat hanging over her for the future at least.
Am i right in thinking that i am entitled to a refund as i informed the dealer within 36 hours of the faults and they are liable for repair,replacement or refund within this period,if not 6 months?

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
I have now returned the car and got a refund due to the faults after sending the garage a letter stating i was rejecting it under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979.
Happy days.