second hand van issues

Bigbadden

Jan 2, 2014
Hello

I started up my company in June and decided to purchase a van in July as I needed to be able to deliver to my customers.

I bought a 2007 Peugeot partner 1.6 hdi and during the purchase the garage told me about the new turbo that had been fitted etc etc. The van was £2295 and it was in very good condition so I bought it, I then had the van sign written by a local company. About three weeks into ownership I noticed the van was emitting a lot of smoke from the exhaust, so I took it to my garage and asked them to look over it and give me an estimate for repair. They told me that the vans turbo had gone and would be about £1100 for a new one fitting,they told me to take my van back to the garage I bought it from as the turbo would probably be covered by a 12 month warranty. I did and the garage told me to take it straight down to their garage and it would be repaired. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I contacted the van sales garage to see what was happening. He said he'd call me back, he never did, so I called again the next day. This went on for a week before he told me to contact his garage direct, they told me there was nothing they could do as the turbo didn't have a warranty...(it had been sold out of the back door of a parts company for cash)...the van sales garage told me they were appalled as they didn't know anything about the scheme and they would sort me a replacementvan as it wasnt cost effective for them to pay for the repair. In the meantime I could have a loan vehicle to use until a suitable replacement had been found.
I was given a van older than my own, with some health issues of it's own alternator and radiator both went within a week...he did have them replaced however within a couple of days. Just before Christmas I phoned the garage to ask if he had sourced a replacement van as the road tax was due to expire on the loan van, I was told they would have another loan van available to me as the van search was pretty useless at this time of year. A day later the van broke down on me leaving me stranded....I called the garage and explained what had happened...he told me he would have a replacement loan van with me in a couple of days. I never got that van but he did text me to tell me he would sort something out for me...I contacted the garage today to tell them I needed a van as I have 2 jobs to do next week and he told me he was sourcing a new engine for mine as he can't get me a van. I told him I'd like my money back as it's gone on too long he told me he would drop off my keys for my van tomorrow and pick up his loan van. I asked when my van would be ready and he said when you've paid for a replacement engine fitting!

Obviously I'm in a bit of shock as I think I've been fair and patient and was not expecting this, do I have any rights or is this where it ends and I'm left £2295 out of pocket with no van?
Help
Thanks
Den