Single most expensive furniture

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just waiting for a new sofa which will also be my single most piece of furniture. I really don't trust those sofa shops with their constant sales and we have to wait nine weeks. I think Ikea demonstrates the real cost of a sofa and 25% of what I paid at DFS : (

Tony

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Our dining room table is our main extravagance...closely followed by the sofa!

I can't understand how DFS etc can justify charging £6,000 for a sofa however...But then again....some mug must be paying it or they wouldn't retail at that price!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I bought my two sofas from Sofa World and realised that the time had come to get them recovered. I have now discovered that the cost of getting them recovered is almost as much as the cost of the sofa itself and I think I am going to have to live with the worn and torn look for a while longer. Why is it so expensive to recover a sofa? Is that where all the profit comes from?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I suppose it's the sofa, a DFS special! But our bed was a wedding present, from the in-laws, but made by a friend who is an expert cabinet maker. We have been married 27 years and it is as good as new. Its beautiful too, very simple, but made of Ash - a lovely coloured wood. I think that a similar bed would be around £1000 nowadays!!! If you can afford it (which we can't!) handmade is best!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Probably our leather sofa, bought it in 2006 for around £600 I think. We chose it for the price and the fact it only took four weeks to be delivered as opposed to 3 months.

I distinctly remember the cheeky buggers (Land of Leather) trying to flog me the "we'll take the packaging away for you... for ten quid" service

The rest our of furniture is Ikea stuff or cheap/free stuff we've picked up from charity shops/ex-landlords/ebay etc.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Although it's not furniture I thought I would add it here anway! Curtains! They are really expensive but I have just bought a pair (I've waited years to buy curtains!) and I do really like them/love them which just about justifies the cost!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Hey Rachelle - get that sewing machine revved up!!!! Curtains are simple if bulky to sew and you can add something called 'bump' to make them superwarm, and you can even add blackout lining (does what it says on the tin!) at a fraction of shop-bought, especially if you have a good fabric outlet nearby. I did hear however that Dunelm ready mades, or even made to order are very reasonable.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Oh I did say I was going to get a sewing machine didn't I? I have realised that what I am lacking, as well as money, is time and that is why everything is so expensive. All I am ever really doing is paying over the odds for the convenience of having someone else do something for me ...