smashed screen on smartwatch due to manufacturing fault

dansharpy

Nov 6, 2014
I was given a sony smartwatch for my birthday just over a year ago. However about 6 months ago I noticed the body of the watch was lifting out of the casing, I just pushed it back in every now and then and all was well. However about 3 months ago I looked at the watch and the screen had smashed. I believe this was because of the body lifting out and the edge of the screen being left vulnerable as I didn't knock it or drop it. Anyway I emailed Sony and they said to send it to their repair centre. I did so and enclosed a covering letter explaining as above. They sent me back a letter saying it would be £83 to repair the watch (bearing inind the watch itself was £120!) or £15 to have it sent back as it is. Slightly taken aback I emailed Sony and asked them why I was being charged for the repair when the damage was caused by a manufacturing defect. I have now been emailing back and forth for the last 2 months and today received a reply stating they weren't going to overturn the repair centres decision and the repair bill stood.

My question is do I have any sort of legal back up here as they aren't budging and now I'm left with no watch at all and I've spent the last 2 months wasting my time. I've asked for managers email addresses so I can discuss with them but all I can do is email the general support team (who are absolutely useless)

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long essay explanation!