Stopping unwelcome phone calls.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Many people do not realise the availability of TPS - telephone preferance service. This is a free register of phone numbers which their subscribers have requested to avoid uninvited marketing or other calls.
By calling 0845 070 0707 your phone can be included. The effects may take 28 days.
Uninivited calls made to a number on the list, may result in a serious fine to the sender.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It doesn't stop them all though - I still get lots of calls from autodiallers etc

Tony

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
The calls can be minimised.

If the registration is more than 28 days, the sender is liable to a serious fine. They are obligated to check the number they are calling is not on the TPS registry. Making a note of the number/sender's name and inform on them should stop reoccuring calls, and give them a bill.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I registered with the TPS years ago and I've re-registered (or tried to) since and I still get the calls, though I do tell them I am on the TPS and they should not contact me. Which tends to stop them in their tracks. However it doesn't stop all the calls sadly.

I also find companies are getting cuter into tricking you. The other day I was called and a voice asked me if I could help with some five minute market research. I don't mind doing research and I wasn't busy so I said yes, and the chap then ran through the terms and conditions very quickly, however I did hear "By answering yes to any of the questions you are giving permission to these companies to contact you for marketing purposes."

So I clarified that with him and just said I wasn't interested in the "research".

To me, it was just a form of gaining "agreement" for companies to cold call me.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
We are TPS registered and it does reduce, but not remove. Like Tony we still get strange silent calls that I assume are autodials. A caller identifying phone is a boon (in more ways than one if you have friends who like to talk for hours, just before Lost is about to start!!!!)
I am perfecting my ice-queen reponses however. When they ask if I have a few minutes, I say No. BT is the absolute worst and I have told several callers that I will never "go back" to them for my calls specifically because of the huge number of 'courtesy calls'. That does not seem to have been recorded in my notes! I do always preface it with an acknowledgement that my beef is not with the member of staff, but I do say that it is certainly not 'courteous' of them to invade my home in this way!
It may not change a thing, but voicing my displeasure makes me feel slightly less invaded and disempowered.
I hope very soon that companies recognise the negative effect of such harassment.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Sounds as though you are used to handling this kind of situation.
I know that many cold-calling firms tell their staff not to bother about the TPS; just to go ahead anyway and be polite to any annoyed respondants.
Do you have any other methods to avoid the junk callers?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Anyone have statistics on the success of telephone marketing?

I would love to know if any companies succeed through cold-calling individuals by phone.
I am completely put off and wouldn't buy anything from a house-invader on principle. It reminds me of those retaurants, when I'm on holiday, who have someone outside almost begging passers-by to eat there. I would rather cross the roa and starve!
Especially noxious is the caller who feigns familiarity - does it work with anyone, apart from the very vulnerable?
It has been going on so long I suppose there must be a level of cost effectiveness - but certainly not with me........
What are your thoughts What Consumers?!!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Unfortunately for consumers it does work - to a small extent. The 'conversion' to a sell varies a lot, but numbers of 1% - 5% are quoted; so some people do follow it up. It is a numbers game, and one which employees are often told to do when they are not otherwise occupied.
In my experience few employees enjoy the job, but their management don't care too much about that.
The variations on cold calling have been around a long time, so there must be a result - otherwise that would have been realised by now by employers who would not waste their money.