stuck with a faulty car and ignorant trader!

c2204

Oct 30, 2013
Hi.

I bought a used car from a trader as I thought I'd have more support!!

The trader said it had an intermitten linkage problem getting into 2nd gear which was more nuisance than issue, advising it would cost about £100 to sort. He reduced the car to reflect.

Within a couple of days the car began to knock loudly from the front so I took it to be checked. After a brief check I was told not to drive the car as the steering rack was dangerously loose and the car unroadworthy. I asked the garage to do a full diagnosis and also check the linkage problem.

The diagnosis was not good. I have a car that has a loose steering rack, a major mechanical fault to the gear box with a leaking seal and collapsed bearings, 2 tyres with illegal wear to the inner edges, and several other 'minor' issues. The cost to fix is extimated in excess of £800. I only drove the car 4 days - it's been off the road since 28th September.

I rang the trader but could only seem to speak with employees and never the 'owner', supposedly. I've spoken to the cab/trading standards advice line and have written to the trader twice requesting a full refund - I've been totally ignored!

On speaking to the advice line it was suggested I persue via small claims however, 1. Trading standards in my area apparently cannot assist further???? 2. I cannot get hold of the name of the 'owner/director'. 3. I've called companies house but the company is not 'ltd' so is not registered. 4. I've called the tax office to see if the company is VAT registered so I can get details but they are not. 5. I've called the police (101) who are also unable to help. 6. Without a name I cannot serve court papers and cannot persue the trader. 7. I've been advised to speak to the court clerk for advice in these circumstances...... otherwise it seems I'm lumbered and out of pocket :(

Is there any hope or have I been well and truly fleeced???
What can be done to prevent this guy ripping off others or causing serious accident to other unsuspecting buyers??

I've been advised the car is a death trap which has deeply upset me as I drove my 2 children in this time bomb! Surely trading standards have a duty of care towards other buyers and road users?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.