swan s14030n steam iron

30b peartree

Jan 25, 2012
i purchased a swan steam iron,s14030n,for my wife in august 2011.in october 2011 the iron inexplicably blew up.it gave off a loud bang and a spark of fire from the end of the corded lead nearest the actual iron.my wife was using it at the time.the whole incident was distressing as the spark caught my wife on her wrist causing her a scorched/burnt mark.she also immediately dropped the iron fearing it would probably give off other sparks.the bedroom carpet suffered a burn mark from the spark and it is now also further marked from when she dropped the iron.
i initially sent swan a letter on 24th october but they didnt bother to reply.i eventually got through to someone at swan in november who was sympathetic to the incident and arranged for a courier to pick up the offending iron so it could be sent back to their factory for tests.
we didnt hear any more from swan until in mid december a new iron was delivered.there was no letter of explanation or courtesy telephone call to explain either their findings or what they proposed to do regarding both the injury suffered by my wife or the damage to the carpet.after returning from my xmas holiday i still had heard nothing from swan.i sent them a recorded letter on the 9th of january this month requesting they gt back to me in fourteen days to let me know what was happening.yesterday i recieved a letter just stating that they apologised for what had happened and that as a result of the factory testing out the iron they had concluded that it was a fault caused whilst in manufacture.
to date they have not offered anything with regard to the damage caused to the carpet or the injury and distress caused to my wife.has anyone else had any similar problems with this particular model of iron.does anyone have any advice as to what i should do now.

chaddy

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,

Yip, this happened to us as well...luckily the wife didnt get burnt...we are in the process of contacting Swan. Unfortunately cant find our receipt....we bought it around the same time as you bought yours so still fairly new...bit worrying especially when theres sparks and stuff.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
What happened in the end Chaddy with your Swan Iron - did they sort it out for you