Swimming pool in our newly purchased Ka

baldeagle690

Dec 23, 2012
Hi all, just joined this forum and it looks very good. On to our problem:

We've just purchased a 2007 Ford Ka from a local dealer and the first time it rained the footwells filled up with water. We took it straight back and they said they 'cleared out the drainage points' under the bonnet. However, every time it rains the same happens. They had another look and hosed it for 10 minutes and said they could see no water coming in. Today there was over an inch of water in one side. I had a good look myself and the water is coming in behind the front sound proofing which is why they can't see the point of entry. I didn't want to go further and start stripping the car apart as they could then blame me. There is either a joint gone under the windscreen or a crack in the bulkhead somewhere and the floor wil be gone within a few months.
They have said we cannot have our money back (we paid by credit card) but may be able to exchange for another car which we're not sure about. It has a limited 3 month warranty(engine & gearbox I think). How do we stand?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Bargain, you've got yourself a cracking deal - free swimming pool!
In all seriousness, as you have purchased the car from a dealer (acting as a business in the UK), you have statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act. As it is second hand, only S.13 'Description' and S.14 'Sarisfactory Quality' apply.
I assume that you don't find the car to be of satisfactory quality, and so it is for the dealer to sort out at no cost to you.
The reason it doesn't pass the satisfactory quality test is due to the fact that the reasonable person would not expect the 5 year old car to have a water leak resulting in flooded footwells.

Adam

Last edited: