Unusual one - parcel (new phone) left with neighbour and stolen from neighbour

Tom R

May 22, 2013
Bit of an unusual one this. I will try to be as concise as possible.

I ordered a new phone on a 2 year contract from Vodafone: a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I was out yesterday when the delivery driver tried to deliver so I selected by text to have it left with a neighbour, so they did.
Parcel was signed for at 11.32.

Mid-afternoon some time the neighbour noticed the parcel had been sliced open. When he looked closer someone had removed whatever was inside and put one of his drinking glasses inside it as some crude effort of disguise.

FYI - his 2 late teen/early 20s nephews were in the house decorating that day and were in and out of the property all day long.

Anyway - I get home from work and am greeted with this story.

I ring Vodafone who say they need a crime reference number. Neighbour says he also rang the police but that he doesn't have one.

I ring the police and they say no crime was reported by my neigbour, but they arrange for officers to come and take statements etc.

Long story short - It's pretty bleedin' obvious that the two lads in the house have stolen my handset. However, because they were in the house legitimately the POlice say it would be impossible to use fingerprints on the packaging etc as they could have handled anything while in the house.

Even though I have never taken possession of the phone myself Vodafone have of course wiped their hands of it. Likewise the courier firm who delivered as they say they are contracted point to point (fair enough)

So basically, there will never be anybody daught for the actual theft. My only recourse here is to claim via my insurance I have with my bank (Natwest) for a new handset.
I have processed teh claim and await the outcome within 72 hours

My questions are this:
1) Is my insurance likely to replace the handset? The theft was not on my property and I was never in possession of the phone personally (though I did give authorisation to leave with a 3rd party)
2) I said to Vodafone that if my insurers don't pay out then I obviously wish to cancel the agreement with immediate effect. They told me this would cost me £906!

Surely this last part can NOT be remotely correct, can it?? How can they possibly legitimately hold me to a 2 year contract on a phone I have never even taken posession of for a single second?

Of course, this will all be moot if my insurance pays out, but it's a worry until I find that out!

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Tom Ross - Leeds

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
To be fair (which is very rare where Vodafone are concerned) none of this is their fault and so they shouldn't be losing out a two year contract.

The neighbour should take full responsibility for this and if your insurance doesn't pay out then he/she should, or at least try to claim off the house insurance.

Vodafone should be able to block the phone to make it worthless to whoever has taken it.

Lee_Vodafone

May 9, 2012
Hi Tom,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

So I can make sure that the missing phone is blacklisted could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible to discuss matters further?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK