VW

lilyput

Jun 28, 2013
I recently bought a used car from what I thought was a respectable dealership.
Within 3 months the car needed £1100 worth of work doing - brakes "shot", glow plugs, timing belt, cam sensor.

This was after I had been assured that the car had had a major service - it had done just over 60,000 miles when I bought it - not excessive for 57 reg.

I was concerned that there was a noise when I changed gear and was told that it was the turbo. I then discovered that there was a 24 month warranty available that would cover all such failures. I decided to purchase this for £350 because I was told that it would cover turbo replacement etc. This was on 28th May. I was asked to call in next day to sign documents (having paid money) I returned - no documents - I was told they would post them. I have had to chase and chase and finally today I received the warranty to discover that there is a £750 claim limit - I have never been told this and would not have paid £350 for such a warranty. I have not yet signed the warranty form - is there anything I can do?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes, I would just tell them that it is not what you wanted and you want your money back. It's legally unenforceable without a cancellation notice let alone no documentation at all!!!!

With any contract or sale which is concluded away from the trader’s normal business premise, you must be sure you have been presented with clear written notice of your right to cancel, at or before the time the contract is made. If you have not, the contract is legally unenforceable. This notice, which cannot be in the form of small print, or otherwise disguised, must also provide a cancellation form and advise you on how and to whom a notice of cancellation is to be made. You can use the cancellation form provided or a simple written notice, as long as it is clear of your intentions. And as long as you have posted your notice of cancellation before the end of the cancellation period, it doesn’t matter when it is actually received. For this reason, it is always advisable to send it recorded delivery.
Read more: Cooling Off Periods | Consumer Information
Follow us: @whatconsumer on Twitter | whatconsumer on Facebook

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Further to what tony has said, if all the terms of the contract were not provided, no contract exists, as the 'offer' would be flawed and therefore acceptance cannot occur.
On top of this, not notifying you of such a large excess would be in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

Adam