Washer Dryer 5 Year Parts Warranty - Part Obsolete

Jules03

Apr 27, 2016
Please could you help. First of all apologies for the lengthy message.

I bought a Hoover washer dryer in June 2013 through Appliances Direct online which cost £487. It came with the standard 1 year manufacturers guarantee plus 5 year parts warranty.

An error code of E07 came up which refers to the door latch and under the manufacturers guarantee period Hoover sent an engineer and repaired it. Since then the machine periodically showed the E07 error beyond the manufacturers guarantee period and I would have to switch off at the wall to open the door which I could live with occasionally.

Now though the push button Fot the door is stuck in the machine and as the machine came with a 5 year parts warranty I called Hoover who sent an engineer on the basis of me taking out a Domestic and General 6 month insurance and if the machine could not be repaired it would be replaced. (The model is still available but has been upgraded with a handle on the door itself rather than a push button!)

The engineer came and said that the whole panel needed replacing and would take 5-7 days as it had to be shipped in from Italy.

I called and chased Hoover to find out when the part would be available and they told me it is now obsolete and to speak to Domestic and General.

D&M have now said that I was mis-sold the insurance and they wont replace it but said they would investigate and get a recording from Hoover. I asked D&M for a copy to be sent to me also.

In the meantime, I called Hoover back and asked the spares dept what is happening given that I have a 5 year parts warranty as there is no reference to what happens if the part is obsolete on their terms and the guy I spoke with didn’t know but came back to me saying that Hoover would provide a concession off a new appliance if D&M do not cover for replacement. He couldn’t confirm what that would be however.

I then received a voicemessage from D&M saying that they have now been told by Hoover that they do not have the recording of my phone call with them to prove the insurance was mis-sold to me!

I read somewhere that as the washer drier is expected to last clearly for at least five years (given that Appliances Direct passed on the 5 year parts warranty) that I could be entitled to have the machine replaced under the Goods & Services Act?

There is no reference to anything on the Hoover parts warranty referring to obsolete parts. The machine is still sold with an upgrade of a handle on the door as opposed to the push button I have - it would seem they must have had problems to change it! It is the same panel and appearance with exception of the push button.

In the meantime I have had to go without a washer Dryer for over a week and getting desperate.

I need to know what my rights are and if I can claim a replacement machine – any help would be appreciated given the cost of the machine and it seems unreasonable for Hoover not to replace it given the 5 year parts warranty given that you would expect the machine to last that long.

As I bought the item through Appliances Direct and paid by credit card so now not sure if my next step is to contact them or if my credit card company will help.

i look forward to hearing from you.

Jules