What is being reasonable?

Ziltoid

Apr 25, 2012
Hello new user here.

I bought a new tv (50 inch lg) in dec 2010 for just short of £700 from a well known high street seller (not a big or small company, in between).
It decided to break down through no fault of my,2 months out of the 12 months warranty.I contacted the seller who at first fobbed me off offering me 20 pounds off a new tv,which i politely declined.
I then found the sales of goods act online along with some templates for some letters.i sent the first letter off saying i didnt think the tv was fit for purpose,week later i got a call saying if i payed £65 i could get it repaired,i said i didnt think this was acceptable.

So upon further looking online i found if i needed to take things further i would need an engineers report.£120 later the engineers report says the screen has gone and a circuit board has broken and in their view the tv is "beyond economic repair".

So i sent another letter off with the engineers report to the shop i bought the tv from.I had another call this week saying they will now repair it but wont refund me for the report from the engineer.
now as the tv is no longer made im a bit skeptical about a repair.
Im a bit lost as to what i should do.refund/repair/or replacement?
would i be unreasonable not accepting a repair (i would get paranoid everytime i went to switch it on!!)

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
It's always advisable to follow a repair/replace path , reason being, you could go to court for your refund, but they can answer with 'we offered a repair, they refused' potentially swaying the verdict.
Obviously it's your choice what to do, it's your tv after all. However under the SOGA , the tv would be required to be of 'Satisfactory Quality' (S.14) . So this would be in your favour.
The engineers report you can claim back the cost for at court if you opt for a refund, however also note, with the refund, it would only be a partial refund to account for the use you have had.

If this tv was mine, I'd accept the repair, and if it goes again within the next 3 years due to no fault of your own, then I'd opt for the partial refund & engineers report.
The above is possible as goods should last 'a reasonable amount of time' taking into consideration it's use and the cost of the goods. £700 for a tv is quite a lot, I'd say you should expect 4 maybe 5 or more years of use out of it.

Hope this helps.