Wrongly sold?

Lld5

Oct 24, 2016
Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this?

So long story short, my disabled grandparents went to a motibility shop to get a
Piece of equipment to help them lift their wheelchair into their car. The person in the shop said yes we have this we will order it for you. Upon receiving said piece of equipment they realised it did not do what the required. When they returned to the shop, the shop refused them a refund saying that my granparents had ordered the item. They said they could have a credit note or the shop would sell the piece of equipment second hand for them but they would loose around 40% of the value, which is near enough £1000. My grandparents refused and just want their money back
So they can go elsewhere and buy what they really need. The shop is refusing any refund, so my question is...
Do they have a case if they take the shop to the small claims court?

As they don't want to waste time and money if they will loose.

Thank you

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hello,

It's really tricky. When you buy in a shop you can only return something based on your statutory rights if it is not as described, faulty or poor quality.

Do shops have to give me my money back?

So it really depends on the circumstances - was the wrong thing ordered by your grandparents or by the shop?

I hope that helps

Tony

Lld5

Oct 24, 2016
Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply, well my grandparents explained to the shop what they needed and the shop said this
Piece of equipment would do the job so ordered it for them. Obviously upon receiving it and trying it out, they realised it doesn't do what they needed it to do.