Store refusing to give me a receipt

Abs

Aug 19, 2013
Hi all, I recently took my iPad for a screen replacement (due to cracked screen) in a local shop on Old Kent road. The owner took my iPad but never gave me a receipt, he simply told me to collect it in three days.

When I went to collect the iPad I found that the new screen had a crack as well. The owner tried to explain to me that he had replaced the old screen but it too had cracked and was therefore only going to charge me 50% of the fee. I refused. I examined my iPad and found that the sides of the iPad were damaged - probably from the action of removing and putting in the screens. I therefore asked the shop owner why this had happened and he tried to buff me off by lying to me saying that the damage had always been there. He was very rude to me and tried to bully me into accepting his 50% offer. I refused and asked him to repair my iPad as per original request. He refused this. I then asked him to give me a receipt from his store - he refused too. He then threatened that if I wouldn't leave his store he was going to call the police. He became abusive and threatening and I called the Police.

The police tried to mediate over the telephone and gave him the choice of offering me a receipt or repairing it as originally agreed. He opted for repair; he refused to give me a receipt. I am yet to pick up my iPad and I do not know in what condition I will find it.

Can anyone help in advising me on what course of action I should take.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
A receipt is merely proof of purchase and is in fact provided by most stores on a voluntary basis.
He has no obligation to provide a receipt as such, if you paid by card / cheque / bank transfer or whatever: you have your proof of purchase.
If you paid by cash, you can request some form of tangible evidence that the exchange of money for goods & services did in fact take place.

Requests are simply that, a request, and he can decline the request. However if for any possible reason, this situation ends up in court, he will have to explain himself.
You can always write a letter (keep a copy of it too), and post it to him with your request for proof of purchase. That way, at court, you'll have evidence to show you requested it.

What is the reason for wanting a receipt anyway?

Abs

Aug 19, 2013
I need proof that they have done the repair on my ipad (as they claim that my ipad is fixed while its not).

I was planning to take my ipad to a mac dealer, get it fixed and bill them.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Well you can just ask for a hand written note from the shop as your proof. A receipt is merely proof of purchase / payment for a service... As I said before.

If the 'repairs' fail, and you've given reasonable opportunity to remedy the dodgy 'fixes' and have been more than reasonable, you are entitled to notify the store of your intentions to use another repairer at their expense. This would be under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, Part II, Section 13 - whereby they have failed to carry out the repair with 'Reasonable care and skill' & also under the Law of Contract for being in breach of contract.

How did you pay?

Abs

Aug 19, 2013
This guy has refused to give me a receipt hand written note or anything to show that they have done a repair.
I haven't paid them yet as they are re-repairing my ipad, going back to the store today to see what they say

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Right ok,
Well pay by card then, its the safest thing for you. There'll be transactional records and you'll have you bank statement.

Abs

Aug 19, 2013
This guy is a nasty piece of work, he's got a card machine but say's its not working, tried to pay him by cheque he refused , just cash is his answer and he does not want to write me a receipt.

I think he knows exactly what he is doing and knows the law too. It looks like i just have to end up paying him for a botched up repair that i will have to take it somewhere else to get it fixed and pay again.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Just tell him that you'll pay him by card when his machine is working again & take hold of your iPad (if you can), and leave the store. I'm pretty sure he won't phone the police considering his actions.

If hes threatening and abusive towards you, you go ahead and phone the police, after all, he'll be the one whos making threats.

I'd also get in touch with your local TS (if they have a direct phone), and if not, make a call to Consumer Direct (or whatever it now is) - they can pass the info on. You may also be able to turn up at your local council buildings and request to see a TS Officer. Chances are you won't be able to, but its definitely worth a go.

You could also record the shop person using your phone in your pocket - though this evidence would not be admissible at court, I'm sure the TSO would be interested in hearing it, and may provide enough evidence in order for an investigation to be made.

Abs

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks Alewis, I went to pick up the ipad, it has a new screen but the state of it is unbelievable ( un-even screen, side protection missing) , He wanted me to pay for the repair, I told him unless he give's me a receipt or lets me pay by card i will not pay him. He refused and said in seven days time if i don't pay he will have to sell the ipad.

Got some advice from citizen advice bureau yesterday they said if he refuses just walk away and they will help write to him with recorded delivery with his payment and i can get my ipad checked somewhere else and get it fixed and bill them for the repairs.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
It's no problem, and unfortunately there's not a lot that I can do, as he really isn't leaving much room for negotiating. He's definitely a dodgy fella thats for sure. And (although you won't want to hear), I wouldn't be shocked if the iPad no longer works.

Yeah a letter is definitely the way to go. Keep us posted on what happens, is be interested in knowing.
I'd definitely get in contact with your local Trading Standards too.