PC Not Working

Elaine

Dec 9, 2008
I purchased a HP PC from PC World on 11th August 2006. It was not set up until September 2006. In March 2007 the PC crashed. Tech Guys replaced graphics card and motherboard. Still not working properly I put up with it as I was working away on contract and not at home to wait for a courier to collect and take to HP etc. I called HP at the beginning of December 2007 and explained the history. They informed me that as it was now out of warranty I would have to pay a one off fee of £264 for them to collect and repair. I arranged for collection on 7th January 2008. They had the PC for five weeks as it kept failing Q.A. I was informed by the Repair Dept., that parts they were replacing were failing Q.A. and they felt that something in the system was eating parts. It had the motherboard replaced again and in total 27 parts fitted. As I work away, the PC has hardly been used. However, I got it back on 13th February and set up on 4th March. At the end of June 2008 it stopped working. I emailed PC World to see whether I should take the matter up with them and they informed me that as it is outside of the warranty and HP have been paid to repair the PC I should take the matter up with them.

I contacted HP Customer Complaints who said that they were not interested. I have started small claims proceedings and HP's solicitor has informed me that they are not responsible. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Elaine,

It is reasonable to expect a PC to last longer than a year and regardless of the fact that the warranty is only for one year - the Sale of Goods Act would have provided protection had you gone to PC World in the first instance. Anyway, you contracted HP to repair the PC and it has failed again. One of your statutory rights under the Supply of Goods and Services Act is to have the job done with reasonable care and skill, if this is not the case you can seek redress - this might be useful:

Making a Small Claim | Consumer Information

On what grounds is the HP solicitor saying that HP is not responsible? Are they saying you have a claim against PC World? Did Tech Guys (PC Worlds Repair Team?) not follow HP's guidelines when doing the initial repair?

Best regards,

Tony

Elaine

Dec 9, 2008
Thank you for responding.

PC World/Tech Guys did carry out the replacement of the graphics card and motherboard in March 2007 whilst under warranty. The Tech Guy was useless and uninterested. However, it was still not functioning correctly but I could not wait at home for HP to collect, repair, redeliver as I work away. I contacted HP at the end of December 2007 and arranged to pay a one off fee of £260 to have the PC taken to their Repair Department in Warrington as it was now out of warranty. They had the PC for five weeks as it kep failing Q.A. I got it back February 2008, set up March 2008 and it stopped working June 2008. I contacted HP Customer Complaints who said that they were not interested. In turn, I contacted PC World who informed me that they could not help as it was out of warranty and that HP had been paid to repair the same to revert to them.

I have started Small Claim proceedings and HP's solicitor has informed me that HP are not responsible as I did not buy it from them. However, two weeks ago they offered me a replacement Slimline Pavilion S3431 on the proviso that I returned my PC first. I declined as I have had to purchase a replacement PC in in the interim and the outstanding costs do not come close to the cost of what they were offering. I have since had a letter from HP's solicitor to say that HP are not responsible under the Sale of Goods Act. Is this correct?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Elaine,

Apologies I have been away. The solicitor is correct they are not liable under the Sale of Goods Act as you bought the PC from PC World and not HP directly. You might have a case under the Supply of Goods and Services Act as it is reasonable to expect a repair to last more than a few months. Have a look here: -

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 | Consumer Information

I hope this helps

Tony

Elaine

Dec 9, 2008
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your response. I have been in touch with PC World who have finally admitted that they are responsible. At this late stage, having commenced Court proceedings against HP, they are requesting that I get an independant engineer to provide his findings and pay for this. Are they correct?

Many thanks Tony.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Elaine,

The burden of proof lies with you after six months, so it is reasonable. They will pay if it is shown to be faulty, so make sure they are happy with the company you choose and the quote. And get them to confirm in writing that they will pay.

Good luck

Tony