Harveys Furniture Shambles

our7inches

Jul 23, 2009
The advice that i can give is NEVER shop at Harveys.

We moved into a new house as first time buyers and had no furniture so bought a considerable amount from Harveys. This included a dining table and chairs, wardrobe, bed-side tables, bed frame and an under bed storage unit. We obviously spent quite a considerable amount of money and were told by the Sales Assistant that all the furniture would be delivered in 4-6 weeks and that anything which was not ready built would be built by them for us.

Well what a joke that was!

Unfortunately we had no written proof that our furniture would be built for us which is a lesson we learnt the hard way, we just presumed that such a large and reputable company would be good to thier word.

Our furniture came in dribs and drabs. First we had the dining table and chairs. A week or so later, the bed side table and wardrobe shelves. About another fornight goes on and we get the wardrobe which was pretty dificult to assemble but, with the help of my father we managed. However then comes the problems.

The bed which we ordered came after only 12 weeks, despite countless phone calls to them when every time they would assure me that the bed would definately be here within a week and managed to always 'pass the buck' explaining that it was not thier fault.

So we start to build the bed, and find nearly all the holes have been drilled in the wrong place. They are all completly out of line and it is impossible to build the bed. Another series of phone calls means that, 2 weeks later one of thier engineers comes out to check that what im saying is true. After a very short visit when he told me that hes "not at all surprised" and that we should probably "expect for it to happen again" should we get a replacement.

We couldnt quite believe how incompetant Harveys were being and decided to look for an alternative bed which we did and found another company who we would rather deal with. So we phone back to Harveys to ask for a refund on thier faulty bed. Again I get passed from sales advisor to customer services to sales advisor as everyone denied responsibility. Finally i manage to speak to the manager of my local store who informs me that they do not do refunds, only replacement or repair. I was so shocked by his rudeness that I informed him that legally he had to under the sales of goods act. He then got very angry with me and told me to speak, via writing to the head office.

After around 20 minutes he phoned me back (presumably after he realised how rude he had been) and said that he would arrange for a collection and a subsequent refund.

This was all duely arranged and, after speaking to thier collection service a collection was arranged for today (Thursday 23 July) and I was told to phone in the morning to find out a rough time of collection. This morning I phone thier customer services 3 times. This was not out of a love of being put on hold but instead because they actually cut me off twice! After finally getting through without being cut off we are informed that there is no collection arranged for today.

We are furious and feel like just dropping thier broken bed in the middle of thier showroom.

The bottom line is... we will never deal with this company again and I reccomend that anyone reading this does the same

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It sounds like eventually you might be ending up in the small claims court, or at least threatening to do so.
I suggest reading the information on the home page of this site, which will give further ideas of possible action and compensation.
It will be important to be able to provide clear and concise evidence of what happened and when. Getting all the documentation together with a list of occurances will help. Taking photos of defective parts or problems may help.

Good luck.

Steve Hicks

Jul 14, 2009
That's terrible news. I always do A LOT of research before buying items of furniture, even if it's from a shop rather than online. I've heard many mixed reviews about Harvey's and to be honest, I don't think I would take the risk. I hope you manage to get your problem resolved!

our7inches

Jul 23, 2009
Just an update.

Well after us being pretty furious this morning, we decided that we couldnt bear any more phone calls and wild goose chasing and so went down to the shop where we bought it. As my wife and I are both quite young we asked my parents to come along too so that we would be taken more seriously.

After a pretty heated discussion with the manager we told him that, as we have a lot of guests coming to our house on monday it is essential that they collect the bed before then. When he said that it was not possible we suggested leaving it at the store (its the one at Wessex Gate, Poole by the way if anyone was curious). He started making excuses that they had no room until we clearly saw a big storage area at the back.

After a lot of persuading he finally agreed that they could take the bed if we brought it and so we did immediately, leaving the defective bed in his showroom, and recieving a complete refund.

My advice to anyone who is in this situation with Harveys or any other company is

1. ALWAYS get written proof of everything, any promise or service that you are told will be provided, get the name of the person who said it, some written confirmation and if possible a reference number

2. If something goes wrong then be forcefull. Although I disagree with treating staff badly, it seems that the only way that things actually happen is by demanding your rights and threatening legal action. ... be sure of the law before you do this though!

3. (the lesson i learnt the hard way) Always check reviews of a company before giving them large amounts of your hard earned money,

Thank you for your help happywriter and Steve Hicks

nat1983

Jul 29, 2009
Harveys is the worst company i have ever dealt with and i am so down about the whole thing. got solid oak bedroom furniture delivered 9 weeks ago- it hasn't moved from where the delivery men left it. We only finished carperting Sunday-opened the box and removed all the packaging to find the solid oak wardrobe broken. We cannot get a refund as the fault wasn't reported within 3 days. We've been passed back and fourth for days and waiting for calls backs that never happen. I tried then to go down the 12 month guarantee option only to be told that customer service have declined my case and that thats the end of it?? how frustrating? is there nothing i can do? the people at Harveys were unpolite, impatient and just dont care. At one point i was told "go put it together, and if it's stil broken ring back"!! well it's not going to fix itself is it! if it wasn't £600 for the wardrobe i could laugh at this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Nat1983, Harveys are not telling the truth there is no requirement in law to report a fault within three days. The fact of the matter is within the first six month the item is considered faulty at time of delivery and the retailer has to prove otherwise. Given the circumstances you may be able to reject the item and get a full refund. This will not be easy and a replacement would be an easier outcome to achieve. The best thing to do would be to phone Consumer Direct - number at top of the page.

Tony

WATERSIDE

Jul 4, 2011
I have had terrible problems with Harveys for the last 5 months or so.

We ordered the Calais range of furniture. They tried inititially to deliver something other than our order. they eventually got the order right but what they delivered was a load of tosh with faults all over. That was reported to Customer services who said that as the original contract had been signed more than 7 days ago ( i.e when we placed an order which was due to be delivered in 6 weeks time). When alerted to the Sales of Goods Act they asked me to get that person to speak to me. HOW A PIECE OF LEGISLATION CAN TALK IS BEYOND ME.

They agreed to send another unit but that turned out to be even worse. They obviously thoought I was lying so they send an independent engineer out who confirmed in a minute the goods were rotten form top to bottom. They eventually agreed to send a third unit out but refused me the right to go up a complaints procedure as they appear to have no escalation policy.

the third unit came out and it was even worse. They have agreed to refund the cost of that unit but offered no compensation for all the time we have taken off work to deal with these matters or in recompense for all the distress we have been caused.

this last unit is being send back and a refund being issued.

My advise is to never shop at Harveys again: if you have to always pay with credit card so you are covered just in case.

Conclusion: a terrible company to deal with with negative staff once a product has been sold. If you ever buy from them always use a credit card

shearer63

Aug 18, 2011
Hi 3years ago i took 3heart attacks,so i had to recover, well i had 5 more slight ones.anyway my wife had got a new lether suite 2weeks ago,she has found light blue marks on it,so we tried everything to clean it but it will not come of, so we phoned the store to tell them,the boss said it was probiley die trancefer from cloths and that he will not ghange it or give us a refund,i said to him so we are meant to sit on the suite with no cloths on and tell anyone who comes into our home to take of there cloths before they sit down,he just said that is up to us then put the phone down.my wife had to stop me going down to the store.

eeyorebob

Aug 15, 2011
Thats terrible customer service!! I will be looking for a new sofa soon, and by the sounds of the experiences in here i will NOT be considering Harveys. I cant believe they treat people that way and still expect people to buy from them! (I've worked in Customer services, not for them btw lol, and we would never treat people this way!)

24/7 TopDeals

Jun 2, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Thats terrible customer service!! I will be looking for a new sofa soon, and by the sounds of the experiences in here i will NOT be considering Harveys. I cant believe they treat people that way and still expect people to buy from them! (I've worked in Customer services, not for them btw lol, and we would never treat people this way!)
I haven't worked in Customer services but I did work in a supermarket
long time ago and the first thing they told me was " customer is king"

Gerrit :cool:

Mday121

Jan 22, 2012
I had purchased a kitchen table and chairs from Harvey's at a cost off £900 and was told it would be assembled when it is delivered. The sales man was saying all things to get a sale.To cut a long story short it arrived and the delivery driver just left it in the kitchen and was not told about assembling so he left I called the store and was told that they had spoken to the driver and he stated I had told him to just leave it in the kitchen. I explained I had said no such thing. I then asked if somebody could reattend to assembly the table and chairs as I had paid for this in the price. Basically it was a waste of time so in the end I done it my self . To me they took my hard earned money and didn't care about customer service will never use again and will tell all my friends about their company. You have been warned. Buy at your peril.

kareneric

Jan 22, 2012
It's not just Harveys we had a suite delivered this Thursday from DFS electric recliners the following day when in the recline position one sofa decided not to return to upright. When my son checked the transformer he got an electric shock! It is still in the recline position. Phoned DFS and they said we are only entitled to a repair not replacement or cancellation. Surely that's not acceptable I say it's over 4 grand one day old and you are saying i have to accept a repair would you? She answered it's not me with the problem is it we will get an engineer out to you next Friday, it's blocking access to the room its a health and safety issue we can't wait till Friday I say. My partner ended up having to visit the store and kick off so now they are sending an engineer tomorrow. Anyone else had this problem? Any advise on how to deal with it would be greatly appreciated. We no longer have confidence in the furniture or in DFS and want it replacing they say they have a legal right to repair it and we are not entitled to anything else. Buyers beware read the small print. I'm sure DFS stands for Dud Furniture Store

fatboy

Feb 4, 2012
Brought a sofa last year in November, was told that I would have the wait till January, which was fine

And I explained my circumstances that I was in a third-floor flat, and had a little balcony where they can manoeuvre the sofa into my flat, now I know I'm naive and with my learning disability which I am registered disability I didn't think of asking about refund policy, as I expected a big firm like Harveys that there won't be any issue,

also purchasing in November they also charged me extra for delivery to the flat as they said don't deliver to flats,

I then had to wait till February this year for the sofa that's over three months, when they came to deliver, the first thing after they said they are from Harveys won't fit through my door,

They said that my door isn't the normal size, and they borrowed my tape measure and started flapping about making the door looks smaller than it was,

They hadn't even taken the sofa out of the van let alone try to fit it through, and they refused to deliver it,

So I phone customer service straightaway after they left, customer service then said it's company policy not to give a refund if it doesn't fit through the door, even though they never tried, and they wouldn't budge one bit

so I then went to citizens advice bureau, I explained that none of their refund policy was explained and nothing mentioned about door frames as their policy, on my receipt nothing was mentioned about their refund policy or about door frames

they also said I didn't have to do is tell them about my learning disability, so
they said that I was entitled to a refund on the sofa, which I'm still waiting for them to respond to the letter,

Friday I got a phone call from the actual store were i brought it, where the salesman who sold me the sofa, said he never mentioned that they don't deliver to flats only if they haven't got any lift they charge extra because not having lefts,

when I challenged him on that he said I was making things up, I then said about my receipt as I didn't sign my receipt, which he said was a copy and I don't have to sign a copy even though he signed the copy,

Then I asked why did you not explain the refund policy on a day of purchase and he turned round said we don't have to anything of sort, when I mentioned about my learning disability he said that I should have said straightaway, so they don't tell me about their refund policy but I have to humiliate myself by explaining my disability

he was very arrogant the whole time of conversation, through the whole conversation with the salesman he would not budge about refund, and he said he will talk to his manager on Saturday and I haven't had a response.

how long do I Wait till they respond from citizens advice bureau letter

fatboy

Feb 4, 2012
Just updating with what's happening with Harveys so far, last Friday I got a phone call from the sales team from where I brought the sofa,

His attitude was terrible in made me feel stupid and it was all my fault, after heated debate he said he needed to speak his manager on Saturday

I never got any phone call from many manager on Saturday or any phone call to tell me that this still being investigating,

Now I think that phone call on Friday wasn't related to the letter what I sent them last Wednesday, so Monday I phoned, the lady was even more ruder than the salesman who i spoke to last Friday,

She abruptly said that the need to investigate the letter and they would ring me back straightaway on Monday before I could even respond the phone was put down on me

Now it's Wednesday still had no contact, so I've been to citizens advice bureau again, been told I have to keep badgering them till they make a response,

And when I mentioned about the door size again at citizens advice bureau, pointed to me saying on the checklist about measuring, I said that's not specific information about door sizes and their return policy, they then agreed that it doesn't say anything about if it doesn't fit through a door you don't get a refund.

terenez

Feb 17, 2012
My wife and I bought two sofas from Harveys in a sale. They started deteriorating after 6 months and after being repaired did the same thing another 6 months after that. The second time the "technician" stated that they were beyond repair and we should have a replacement. Unfortunately the nearest replacement was £200 more expensive and the closest they would come was £135 for replacements or a refund with 20% held back for the use we had had from the sofas. This was money I didn't have but they would not shift so reluctantly, after lots of arguments on the 'phone with customer services and endless calls to head office, we paid the £135. I felt this was deeply unfair. It was not our fault they had sold us the sofas (Serena range - now, unsurprisingly discontinued) which were simply not of merchantable quality and we were only asking for a replacement of similar character and value. They interpreted "value" as "price" and argued "betterment" but I pointed out to them that we were entitled to something of better quality as the previous sofas were so bad and it was not our fault they had sold us such shoddy goods. I was contemplating small claims court but in the end tried emailing the managing director with all the details - I kept it factual and polite with no threats. Two days later I received a call and a charming woman by the name of Fran Chapman informed me that they would replace the sofas as agreed and refund the £135.It obviously pays to go to the top if you can and keep it calm and factual.:)

fatboy

Feb 4, 2012
My wife and I bought two sofas from Harveys in a sale. They started deteriorating after 6 months and after being repaired did the same thing another 6 months after that. The second time the "technician" stated that they were beyond repair and we should have a replacement. Unfortunately the nearest replacement was £200 more expensive and the closest they would come was £135 for replacements or a refund with 20% held back for the use we had had from the sofas. This was money I didn't have but they would not shift so reluctantly, after lots of arguments on the 'phone with customer services and endless calls to head office, we paid the £135. I felt this was deeply unfair. It was not our fault they had sold us the sofas (Serena range - now, unsurprisingly discontinued) which were simply not of merchantable quality and we were only asking for a replacement of similar character and value. They interpreted "value" as "price" and argued "betterment" but I pointed out to them that we were entitled to something of better quality as the previous sofas were so bad and it was not our fault they had sold us such shoddy goods. I was contemplating small claims court but in the end tried emailing the managing director with all the details - I kept it factual and polite with no threats. Two days later I received a call and a charming woman by the name of Fran Chapman informed me that they would replace the sofas as agreed and refund the £135.It obviously pays to go to the top if you can and keep it calm and factual.:)
have you got the e-mail managing director of Harveys, i look like i might be going to court

hxalan

Mar 5, 2012
Ordered a settee, wouldn't fit through the lounge door because the hallway stopped it tipping back far enough to get in.

The delivery man told me that this particular range was returned to the warehouse more than any other as it would not fit through most modern internal doors.

Despite this they refuse a refund, say it is my fault for not ensuring it would fit in before I ordered it.

Every other suite we have bought, and we are pensioners who have had a lot of furniture delivered in our lives, has been able to fit but we were supposed to be our own experts on judging angles and degrees pertaining to their particular furniture. Even the highly experienced delivery man didn't know until he had tried, but we were supposed to.

Avoid like the plague. Fine furniture, decent prices but if something goes wrong, forget it, they aren't interested and they will try and keep your money no matter what.

Mar 10, 2012
I am a delivery driver for Harveys and they do not treat their staff well at all.
1. We have to provide our own sat navs. If they get stolen whilst we're in a customer's property we have to buy another.
2. We have to bring in our own cordless drills to attach the feet because the company wont supply them. They keep on telling us "they're on order" but this has been the case for the last 3 months.
3. We have to provide our own hammers/mallets as some feet need to be banged in rather than screwed in for the same reason as above.
4. We are salaried and our contracted hours are 48 per week but we're all doing 60 per week and not entitled to any overtime. Our salaries are £18670, but average this into 60 hours per week and that equals £5.98 per hour (which is less than minimum wage).
5. Customers always complain to us that they've had to wait 17 weeks for their furniture to arrive. This is because they hold no stock in Britain, and it is made in China (where the sweat shops pay $7 per week to their employees) so the delay is for it to be made and shipped over.
6. We are only entitled to 21 days holiday per year which is the minimum that employers have to provide.
7. Bank holidays and Sundays are counted as normal days so we don't get paid any extra for working them, and they are compulsory work days.
8. The lorries don't get cleaned so we're all driving round in filthy lorries.
9. Harveys' motto is 'A great place to shop, a great place to work'. Rubbish! We're all looking for other jobs as we can't stand working there, and we're not seeing our families as when we get home we're so tired that we go straight to bed.

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
This is a common story with many big retailers, especially in the furiture industry, and especially with this group of companies. I don't know if any of you are aware, but Harveys are part of the Steinhoff International Group, which is a South African corporation. The group includes in the UK:
Bensons for Beds
Sleepmasters
The Bed Shed
Harveys
Reid
Cargo

And the manufacturing side includes:
Relyon
Sprung Slumber
Hulka
Steinhoff

See: http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk/whoiswho.html

It seems the whole group has a reputation for poor quality, and terrible customer service. And they seem to ignore SOGA (Sales of Goods Act).

Those who have furniture that has developed a fault within six months are entitled to a refund, as the item is deemed to have been faulty when manufactured.

Rather than just badgering them as suggested by the Citizens Advice Bureau, I would contact Trading Standards. Because the only time they seem to act is when Trading Standards are involved, and you start quoting SOGA.