Harveys Furniture Shambles

martinwillmott

Apr 18, 2012
Bought 2 sofas in the sale, spent over £1000, dont know what they're like yet because Harvey's delivery service is worse than useless, Once they have your cash they don't give a damn, 28 phone calls I made today, like talking to a brick wall, Delivery was this morning between 8 am and 11am, I got a call fom the delivery driver asking where I lived, the instructions given at purchase were not on his paperwork, I explained he was 50ft from my flat and told him exactly where it is, I decided to pop home from work so 10 mins later I got home, guess what No sofas! I called the driver, where are you? he said he couldn't deliver because of double yellow lines and I would have to re arrange a delivery. My old sofas had been collected at 8 am and disposed of so now we're sitting on the floor. Goods vehicles are allowed to load and unload on double yellow lines so either this idiot shouldn't be driving or he's scared of rain, the latter is my guess. My wife was watching from the window, no truck stopped outside, the shopkeeper below confirmed this too.
I called every department throughout Harveys and got nowhere, I explained my wife and I and our 11 month old baby will be having dinner on the floor, they don't give a damn! They said when the sofas are returned to their warehouse and put back on their system then they will arrange for the sofas to be delivered at a later date! Through the day and 28 calls 7 of which were cut off or hung up, I got loads of excuses, the driver said there was a junction he would be blocking, the junction is 165 ft away, how big is this truck? he said he tried to call me when he couldnt deliver, er no! no missed calls! by the end of the day and loads of shouting and threatening to broadcast this I finally got a date, instead of sometime in the future they are now delivering on friday, On friday I'm taking time off work, I will make sure those sofas come off that truck.
I will never buy anything from Harveys ever again and I would strongly advise anyone else to stay well clear, I've since found stacks of crap reviews including loads on BBC's watchdog program website.

Andrew Kay

Jun 1, 2012
I ordered two new leather suites on 4th Dec 2011 for delivery 1st 2 weeks in March 2012.Transferred £400 from a previous cocked up order as deposit.
Rang in Jan - all ok, Feb , all ok for March Delivery. Rang March - no-one knew anything, would get back to me.More calls - nothing.

On the 20th May they rang to say it was here and could they deliver - I refused and asked for compensation - they agreed £500, so I paid in full and agreed delivery for saturday between 1-4pm.

Stayed in , waited, waited and nothing, Rang store at 4.10 , driver rang at 4.20pm - " we're running late - it'll be 2 - 2.5hrs..... if I get there at all"

As we were going out I cancelled delivery to re-arrange.

Rang so called Customer Service on Monday - who were extremely unhelpful and didnt want to know. Today ( Friday ) Delivery rang demanding £250 to deliver. I explained it was all paid up but "Pauline" said it wasnt and wouldnt do anything without £250.

I rang Cust Services, the woman was unbelievably rude and unhelpful, I asked to speak to a manager and she refused to put me through. I asked about the £250 and explained it was all paid for - she said the £250 was for delivery as the £500 compensation couldnt be applied until after delivery. Then I would have to wait for the £250 to be refunded !!!

I said I had had enough, cancel and refund, she said I dcouldnt as it was in the warehouse - I explained all the issues and she basically said "tough" - pay up or you dont get it, you cannot have a refund.

Now, I am the wrong person to treat like this believe me, the store manager has been helpful throughout and resolved all the problems but no-one else is bothered. I am awaiting a call from the dep store manager as I write.

Harveys are useless, I will never buy from them again and will issue legal proceedings next week for full recovery plus damages unless this is resolved satisfactorily.

Wish I had seen this and Watchdog first !!

So, I am all paid up, they have failed to

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
THe problem with many of these big chain stores is that the staff in the stores either have good intentions, but don't know how to make sure that the things they promise actually happen. Or more likely, because they have to deal with you face to face, they fob you off to get you off their backs, and so that you will think it is just customer services who are difficult. When in fact it is the whole company.

Your situation sounds very similar to that experienced by many of Bensons customers. Although this isn't surprising at all, as they are both part of the Steinhoff International Group.

I should think that you have very good grounds to cancel. Especially when you take the time frame into account, combined with all the failed deliveries.

Contact Trading Standards. And while you are at it, I would also contact Watchdog. THen when you send Harveys a letter, make it clear that you have been in contact with both.

angel50

Jun 29, 2012
I wish I had read all of the complaints about Harvey's before buying from them, our story is that we ordered a dining table, 4 chairs, coffee and side table back at Easter, finally after waiting ages I rang them in May to ask what had happened to our goods. They said that it was all at the warehouse except for the coffee table, I asked if they could deliver what was there and I would pick up the table from a Harvey's store, the answer was NO. I rang again at the beginning of June stating that I was off for two weeks and would be home for the delivery, they said the table would be in on 6th June and that someone would call at the end of the week to arrange delivery, they finally called a week after they had said, we were then on holiday. Finally they began arranging a date for delivery (3 months after ordering), then came the SHOCK - THEY ONLY DELIVER ON A THURSDAY IN OUR AREA. We gave them a choice of Mondays, Wednesday's and Fridays but this was not good enough for them, after several calls later back and forth with them their final answer was ONLY THURSDAYS FOR DELIVERY, a chap called Liam (customer services), said that we were being inflexible by not taking Thurs off work to accommodate them, I asked to speak to his manager, he refused to get anyone and at that point I cancelled the order, he stated that I could not cancel at this late stage because they has ordered the furniture, my husband then went above his head and finally got a refund. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM HARVEY'S THEY ARE THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH, BEARING IN MIND WE HAD TERRIBLE PROBLEMS WITH BENSONS BEDS TOO - strange that they are run by the same organisation.

mmunday

Aug 23, 2012
Ive been waiting 18 months now and finally snapped, the 1st delivery 17-18 months ago was delivered damage, they where kind enough to order a replacement, No 2, that was delivered and was also damaged. it was scratched so the sent an eningeer to repair it,

Well the repair I could have done better with a brown crayon so I rejected the repair, we then waited another 10-12 weeks for the 3rd replacement, that arrived damaged so I rejected that as well, within two weeks we get a call to say they have a new suite for us, great I thought !!! I think the drivers got the hint I wasn't happy when they opened the 1st chair No 4

It was the same chair I rejected two weeks prior , they bodged a repair and sent it back claiming it was new !! it even had more cuts and marks on before I rejected it !!

Harveys did kindly offer a replacement No 5 !! . that was damaged as well. so they order just the safa, "Dont worry Sir we will match the colour" well another 10-12 week strech for a sinlge sofa. :eek:

The colour match ! err, it was a completely different colour , not even the same shade !! REJECTED !

Another 10-12 weeks and I think we are on our 6th delivery , that arrived and my wife rejected that one as the arm was damaged,

two weeks later with no call back, I phone them to find out what is going on, and those famous words "Dont worry Sir, we put a new arm on it"

Another two weeks and its the same suite, same marks, no new arm , dodgy repair !! MY GOD, how hard can it really be,

So we are 7 failed deliveries in, I have aksed for a refund and compensation, the service team can never get to talk to a manager, he is always busy and they will call back in 24 hours, they call and say no one has advised them what they can do,

This is the 2nd suite I have purchased from Harveys, I had to replace the 1st one as their insurance failed to pay out for a rip so I claimed on my house insurance, they wrote it off due to poor workman ship and I got a new one,

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM HARVEYS !

tigersgirl007

Aug 21, 2012
a sueggestion - why not nominate someone who has problems with Harveys print off - with permission of all concerned - the cases raised and email to CEO's scampbell@harveys-furnishing.co.uk and markus.jooste@steinhoff.co.za
advising that if no action is taken to resolve these incidents to everyones satisfaction it will be logged with BBC Watchdog and a case sent to Trading Standards. It will show them that there is a big problem with their services and it needs to be addressed. Give a time frame as to when you expect a response even if it is 'we acknoledge your complaint and are dealing' ...reading the below i will def not buy anything from them.

ciaran95

Aug 24, 2012
Guys I have had to put with the incompetence and down right couldn't care less attitude of Harveys for almost a year now. What I would love to do is gather as many disgruntled customers together as possible all over the country and hold a protest out side our local stores.

I am that angry with how this company I feel this is the only thing that might make them listen. It would certainly make me and my wife feel better.

mcmack

Aug 24, 2012
There are plenty of great sales on furniture throughout the year, so you should never really have to pay full price for a piece. Debenhams has a really good furniture sale on at the moment. Check out MyVoucherCodes for discount codes available so you can spend ever less lots of great offers to choose from.

eddieold

Nov 29, 2012
Dont trust Harveys.its taken us 8 weeks to get our money back.We belive we only got it back that quick because we told them we were going to trading standards and CAB if we didnt get our money back. be firm with them and dont let them get away with broken promises.If anyone wants more details about our dealing with Harveys let us know

Pat and Rob

Apr 11, 2013
In January 2012 I purchased 2 leather AVELLNO sofa's from Harvey's. for just over £2,000 They were delivered on time in Feb 2012 with no problems. however in Nov 2012 both sofa's sank in the middle and the stitching between the seats split and black fabric became exposed. (They are brown leather sofa's). I have called Harvey's out several (3) times to look at the sofa's have been told that it was a manufacturing fault but another man came to look at them and stated is in the sofa's settling.
I have just received a report from Castelan which states that the sofa's are within manufacturing tolerances. I questioned what the manufacturing tolerances were and was told upto 20%, so does this mean that a sofa can sink by 20%? The man said yes!!
He explained that this was in the "Care Guide" I was given when the sofa arrived. I explained that I have all the documents from Harveys and did NOT receive a "Care Guide" explaining the tolerances and would NEVER have bought the sofa's knowing this.
I have spoken to the Branch where I purchased the sofa's and I should have been given a "Care Guide" when the sofa was delivered but staff at the branch are not aware of a 20% tolerance.
I asked if I could claim on the 5 year guarantee but was told NO as this was normal wear and tear and not covered by the guarantee.
Has anyone else heard of these 20% tolerances on new sofa's??

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the stiching or fabric has split it's a fault, regardless of what their care guide says, sofas are meant to be sat on, in fact I am sitting on one now that is 10 years old and has no visible wear, discolouration, split seams, wonky frames or shrinkage, the Co-op incase you're wondering.

Write to their complaints department and tell them to sort it now or in court, let us know what their response is, which you should receive within 8 weeks and we'll help you along with the next step.

EMcKinnon

Apr 17, 2013
My eighty-three year old mother bought an easy chair from Harveys, they delivered it put the legs on, left and on closing the front door the chair fell over on to it's side. One leg was completely broken the others loose. I called within 15 mins of them leaving it with her, their delivery men knew fine well what condition they had left the chair in stuffing polyethene in the socket and jamming the broken leg in.
I called Harvey's, told them the condition and the fact that it had not even been sat on to be told an independant furniture person would have to come out to examine it.
He stated one leg needed repaired and all four needed strenghtened.
It has been two weeks now of calling them and them not calling back. Understandably she does not want it repaired or the poultry 10% discount, nor does she want another one of the same, nor does she want to choose something else from them and wait another 12 weeks for delivery.
They refuse point blank to a refund and their customer service is severely lacking in any compassion for any purchaser buying from them.
I intend to persue this on her behalf, but for the sake of not refunding her money they have lost any future business from our family and anyone we can discourage. Bad Ccompany to deal with.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They cannot refuse a refund, you (your mum) needs to write and reject the furniture and give them 7 days to refund the cost and collect the chair or she will see them in the Small Claims Court, not sure how this company keeps trading!

SargFowler

May 9, 2013
With me, i wasn't just one thing that went wrong. It was a whole novel full of chapters that went wrong.

The stuff they sell is really poor quality - we overheard one of the saleswomen say this in another store. The poor quality then causes you to ring customer service. This is a premium rate number so bear in mind your phone bill is about to go through the roof. Conversations you have with Harveys will be recorded in their "computer system" incorrectly and sometimes not at all. This makes subsequent phone calls amusing if it wasn't for the fact that my phone bill has now hit over £50. Best ask you speak to a manager and stand fast otherwise Harveys will fob you off with a load of false promises.

Get in contact with Trading Standards - they get a load of calls about Harveys.
Write everything down and send letters to Harveys confirming conversations (you can't trust them). Get Harveys to send you a letter confirming what they've said. I know they hate this because it stands up better in court.

Check your statutory rights and do your homework.

You really shouldn't have got involved with Harveys in the first place, but if you have, I hope these words of wisdom help.

Bevan07

Jun 13, 2013
Harvey's Harvey's Harvey's long story

Harveys
We brought mellissa 2x electric leather sofas beg 2011 within 6 months leather started to wear between the sofas through recliner action rubbing together actually took the leather back to the black rubber effect underneath and also the same to the seating position and head position. Phoned Harvey's said *they had never had a problem with these. They sent out young man not particually *interested said the head *marks was through hair gel ? We are retired my husband *always sat hear he doesn't use anything on his hair.The seating was to be expected to wear through sitting on it and reclining action would be expected to do that.
Had to chase Harvey's they agreed to exchange waited 12 weeks for replacement and within 2 months started to happen again sent out replacement *12 weeks later *when this arrived even the delivery men could not believe it the whole suite was different leathers. We would of liked our money back but they wouldnt agree we said right we will go for a fabric suite faux suede we chose just manual recliners this time not electric. GUESS WHAT didn't notice till 11 months down the line but same thing with this one only this time actually went into small holes where the recliner had gone up and down.*
Phoned harveys sent someone out he didn't have the right camera so to get a better picture he stuck his finger In the holes to make them bigger to take a photo we said hope this doesn't come back on us. No he replied.
Never seen this before on this suite I've been doing this job for 17years.
Would you believe Harvey's said it wasn't covered as he put it down to scuff marks so its not covered I even have a extra 5 year warranty.
My husband was not pleased and the man at Harvey's said basically what do you expect faux swede will wear we have now passed it to resolution team
Phoned them which appears to be same department she said will have to go back to ecomaster to see if he means this is a manufacturing fault she and this young man were extremely arrogant I told her I will not let this go they told me to ring back Thursday young man said he would have to email res team again.
Again very patronising young man. told him I knows this is still down to you as this is not satisfactory quality and that when I brought the product you did not state to us that *using the recliners might wear the fabric I have statory rights basically told me they were members of the ombudsman etc etc still waiting to hear.HELP!*
Are all of Harvey's staff trained to be completely utterly rude arrogant and patronising ?

cassa64

Aug 19, 2014
i know the feeling with harveys 1st large corner sofa faulty replaced but 2nd 1 is creaky etc and report by repairman said it was my floor so i am now taking this matter further i have found the email address for the director that was on watchdog this year i will give him time to reply and i will take it further not paying all this money to be fobbed off not a chance unhappy
DON NOT USE HARVEYS BAD FURNITURE AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE

cassa64

Aug 19, 2014
i am wondering that but daft people that dont know about it go and buy furniture from them and learn the hard way but i wont give up

James B

Sep 11, 2014
Dont trust Harveys.its taken us 8 weeks to get our money back.We belive we only got it back that quick because we told them we were going to trading standards and CAB if we didnt get our money back. be firm with them and dont let them get away with broken promises.If anyone wants more details about our dealing with Harveys let us know
Can I ask for the details as to whom you addressed your complaint too as im getting nowhere fast with my complaint about harveys.

wiltshireman

Apr 1, 2015
After being a very good customer of Harveys for five years I will no longer buy from them due to poor customer support. The only problem is just who do I now go to? The only company in the country who seems like one who actually values its customers in John lewis but for me they either are too expensive or don't make much that is my style. Whatever the future hold I will never buy from harvey ever again and will advise anyone who comes to my attention why I wouldn't either if I was them. Oh what is my gripe? I have now waited over six weeks since reporting a fault for the repair to be done, this is almost as long as we have had the settee! Saturday I will be visiting the store!

wiltshireman

Apr 1, 2015
Just an update on my previous moan, we are now told that a replacement motor will probably take 12 weeks to arrive. Why do they not keep some in stock????? Do they think they never go wrong? Only stupid people would think that!!! If this is so then the settee will have been out of action way more than when it worked, so does this mean not fit for purpose? Whatever, my advise to anyone who is thinking of buying from Harveys is DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I make myself clear? Do not be stupid enough to read this AND then take no notice!!!!!

The only problem now is where else do we go the next time we want to buy a new sofa, probably Germany where things are less likely to go wrong! Really convenient I think not!