Doorstep Selling Query

Joe

May 9, 2008
We often have people selling books and jewellery coming to our workplace. Are these transaction covered by the door step selling regs?

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
To be honest Joe, I have no idea. You'd think so as they are, essentially, selling on your doorstep, but as it's a place of work, there may be a loophole. Do not hesistate to ask!

Joe

May 9, 2008
It was organised by work - a company called the book people, so I guess it was solicited and not covered by the distance selling regulations.

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
I think they may still be covered because it covers distance selling like catalouges etc
You should still be covered by the normal consumer regs and there should still be information provided by the book people explaining what your rights are.
These sites are quite good at explaining the rights but I would say that it might be a thing to question your work about because I think the way it works is that the rep approaches your company and asks permission to sell there.
Distance Selling (Mail Order, Telephone and Internet Shopping) Quick Facts - BERR

Doorstep Selling

I found the book people's website but it doesn't explicitly say.

Online Help - Policies - the Book People

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
We have our own guide here: Doorstep selling - Your right to cancel | Consumer Information

It needs to be updated given this from the OFT:

Doorstep selling

On 1 October 2008, the law will change with respect to buying goods and services in the home. From this date, consumers will be entitled to a seven day cooling off period, whether the sales call was solicited or not, and cancellation rights must be supplied in writing. These terms only apply to goods and services over £35 in value.

The OFT and BERR are jointly carrying out a campaign to warn businesses and consumers about the change in the regulations. BERR have carried out a business campaign, while the OFT will be launching the consumer campaign during October 2008.

The OFT will be working closely with colleagues from Local Authority Trading Standards Services and LACORS, who can help us get our messages out to the most vulnerable consumers.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I know with Avon they offer a no-quibble 90 day money-back guarantee - so that certainly far exceeds what you are entitled to under the law. So I thought it is worth checking with the Book People directly what they offer.

They say you can return anything within 7 days for an immediate refund:
Online Help - Policies - the Book People