Coopers Sewing Machines

Anyone who has had dealings with this firm and can prove it with a receipt

• Total voters

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton

Were you buying these machines as a consumer or for business? A verbal contract is binding, but it is only as good as the paper it is written on.

Tony

Darrkland

Jan 16, 2010
hiya I Bought A brother xr6600 in july-ish, so around november It started to play up, I contacted them, I was basically trying for a month to get them to pick it up, well they arranged city link to come on tuesday, i waited in ages, but i had to pop out to take my baby to drs, an when i got back ther was a tickit, city link said i had to rearrange delivery through coopers, so i went on coopers chat live on the discount site (cant call as switching phone provider), an i new the only way i could contact was via live chat, as emails they dnt reply to them, (now i no why), well this is a bit of the log from live chat,

''

System: Please Wait while connecting to an operator

You're connected to operator - Coopers

Coopers: please call tomorow

Leea : i can not call

Leea : no phoneline

Coopers: canwe call you

Leea : only via mobile

Leea : 07********9

Coopers: if you missed the collection , you will be charged for the collection. each time we call out it costa £10

Coopers: well phone tomorrow

Coopers: please call our despatch team tomorrow

Coopers: they openat 9.am

Leea : i wasnt told an exact day/time

Coopers: call tomorrow

Coopers: not n

Coopers: mt

Leea : i was told from tuesday onwards, they wer unsure because of the snow

Coopers: not my department

Coopers: well there you go

Coopers: please call tomorrow

Leea : ?

Coopers: please call tomorrow

Coopers: goodnioght

Leea : ther i go what, i have a small child i care for i cannot wait in al day in hopes of colection

Coopers: oh well

Coopers: these things are meant to try us

Leea : well dont worry i'll make sure coopers are aware of your nasty customer service

Coopers: i am really not nasty

Coopers: i have asked you to call tomorrow 5 times

Leea : and i have told you i cannot

Coopers: you must speak to them............''

I got an instant call from what sounded like that patronizing mr cooper himself, he will not let you get a word in, he said i got a log saying you are complaining about our customer service?

before i could say no, the person i spoke to, i am disgusted by there manners, he said well i dont see a problem, they are a call centre in india, i said well thats no excuse for their manners, but all he would say is oh well there you are, exact same mannerisms as the logger!! etc etc,,

went on about how he cant pay city link 10 pound every-time to pick up a machine, if i cnt be bothered to be there, I said but they have only been once, he tried sayin they came on wednesday also,

they did not an they should leave a card if thats the case, if i hired them id want proof they have been! he said they dnt always leave a card!!, argued for ages said he wud arrange one more pickup thursday (yesterday) but nothing an nothing today!!!!,

now reading all this bad press im reluctant to even send the machine for repair, il probably will not get it back!!! .. so annoying, My course work is on hold, my business is lacking as i really need my machine!!!

greenasgrass

Jul 7, 2009
Hi Darrkland
Have you tried taking your problem to Consumer Direct. They told me that they have a lot of problems with Coopers and forward complaints to Trading Standards.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
After reading all this I won't be buying from them. Any other recommended people I can get one from? I have been thinking about buying one for ages. Thanks.

greenasgrass

Jul 7, 2009
Hi Rachelle
I found, after my disasterous purchase from Coopers, that Tesco Direct had a really good selection. I would look there first.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks greenasgrass. I will take a look. I'm nervous about forking out too much in case this turns out to be just another one of my whims and I don't actually get to do any sewing. Although, considering I take my clothes to the dry cleaners for them to sew on buttons, etc, if I managed to learn how to do that with the machine it probably wouldn't be too long before I saved myself some money.

Edward Duncan

Jan 26, 2010
We also had a shocking consumer experience with Coopers Sewing Machines when we purchased a sewing machine from their website sewingmachinediscount

Below is a copy of a consumer report I lodged with Trust Pilot in respect of our contact with Mr Cooper of Coopers Sewing Machines who trades form the website

Misleading advertising, overcharged for amount agreed over telephone, and verbally abusive managing director

We recently purchased a sewing machine from this company. The website advertised an offer with a 10% discount on all machines. We took the offer up, but when the machine arrived it was apparent we had not been given the advertised 10% discount that we had checked by phoning the company prior to agreeing the purchase.

When we phoned up to complain the managing director (Mr Cooper) was extremely verbally agressive and shouted and swore down the phone several times in an utterly offensive manner (telling my wife to "f*** off" several times etc). When I (her husband) phoned to complain, I was met with a very similar experience and was equally appalled by Mr Cooper's language (which was just as awful), verbal hostility and truly shocking attitude.

On the phone Mr Cooper claimed he was 79 and dying of terminal cancer. Whilst the validity of such a claim is clearly hard to ascertain, and even more so over the phone - he did not sound like such an individual, and a video podcast of him from last year on his website clearly does not support such a statement.

A quick Google search reveals a multitude of similar complaints about this company and individual.

This company's website makes the following statement,

"In these harsh economic times it is not uncommon for competitors, disguised as consumers to provide misinformation about our company, in consumer forums. If there should be the slightest doubt, then please do not hesitate to contact our suppliers directly, and they will unequivocally redirect you to us".

Our consumer experience reflects all that we found in the above consumer forum complaints referred to. I have no doubt that these complaints are in fact genuine.

THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY AVOIDED

I am not in the habit of complaining, but such behaviour cannot be tolerated. There are many more vulnerable people who could have a similar experience. Trading Standards has been contacted and I am investigating how else this matter can be taken forward

greenasgrass

Jul 7, 2009
Hi Edward
I hope that you have more luck than me with Trading Standards, they did not bother to reply to my letter when I sent them the details of my experience.
Coopers behaviour towards their customers should not be tolerated, I wonder how many complaints Trading Standards have to receive before they act.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Edward
I hope that you have more luck than me with Trading Standards, they did not bother to reply to my letter when I sent them the details of my experience.
Coopers behaviour towards their customers should not be tolerated, I wonder how many complaints Trading Standards have to receive before they act.
It is possible that the letter was lost in the post. You can send an FOI request asking Trading Standards whether they are planning to do anything. They work for us and are accountable to us, which includes businesses as well.

greenasgrass

Jul 7, 2009
I do not think that my letter was lost in the post. I complained to Consumer Direct and I also emailed Trading Standards and sent copies of documents by post, neither of my communications was acknowledged.

caoilte

Mar 7, 2010
Hello everybody,
I just wanted to thank all of you for posting your experiences of Cooper Sewing Machines on this website.

I was just looking to buy a sewing machine and was considering getting one from Coopers. I'm now very much relieved that I found this forum posting first and will be looking else where.

Thank you all again.

grandma

Mar 8, 2010
Hi,i must be one of the lucky ones.i ordered a sewing machine from coopers on friday night at 10.30pm and it arrived today at 12pm.i call that good .have not as yet tried it but it is well packaged and looks great.i am well pleased.grandma.

MummaLush

Mar 17, 2010
Really worried when reading this after ordering a Toyota Jet Black from Coopers but I shouldn't have been. I ordered on Saturday and it was delivered on Tuesday! Great machine and price. Good times :D

Xena

Mar 17, 2010
Misleading advertising, bad and abusive customer service:

Went on the Cooper website to look for an overlocker sewing machine to buy. Right on top of the website written in big red letters it said that on that specific Tuesday 10% discount would be offered on all sewing machines. After doing a price comparison with another company I decided the go with Sewing Machine Discount t/a Cooper Sewing Machine, because of the 10% discount offered. At check out I filled in the promotional code, entered my debit card details and submitted the order. I received confirmation of my order, only to find out that on this specific model no promotional discount was offered….I was wondering why have I not been informed of this, before I was prompted to enter my debit card details? I decided to phone the company and raise the issue... After speaking to a lady who could not explain why this has happened, I was transfer to the MD (Jay Cooper) who answered the phone in a very rude manner. Got constantly interrupted and verbally abused while trying to explain the issue. When I finally got a word in, I explained that I am the customer and that I would like to bring it under their attention that their website is very misleading. I got told that should I carry on like this I would not be a customer for much longer. I replied that I would like to cancel my order, because I was mislead to believe that I was going to get a 10% discount. He then said no problem, my order will be cancelled, but that 20% would be deducted from my refund for "admin" charges.I said that I have rights as a customer and that I would have to go to the ombudsman with this case. I was told that I can do what I like and got cut off…….
I got phoned back after about 15 minutes by the same man, as I recognized his voice, only to be told that I had spoken to his partner, that the call has been recorded and that I was the one who was rude and threatening. I was stunned, as I merely wanted to explain my case, got interrupted continuously and now had to endure even further verbal abuse. I tried to repeat what had happened and why I was unhappy. Finally he claimed that somewhere on another page on the website, right at the bottom, it said that on some products no discount will be given and that customers should phone for details....eventually found the note written on another page (not on the product page itself) small print and right at the bottom. He yelled that it was written in bold and underlined....but to be honest it was the smallest quoted text on the entire page....Finally I was told that I can cancel and that should I want to complain to the ombudsman or anybody else, he can even provide the numbers I should call…….

mattlatch

Mar 27, 2010
Do not use this company. My partner recently purchased one of thier items. She paid via debit card online, the next day they requested proof of ID before they send outthe item. When we called them to ask why they said it was because the address she gave for the debit card was different to the address her card was registered to with the bank. the next day they had taken the money from her account. Again we called for an explanation at which point Mr. Cooper himself spoke to my partner and actually shouted at her down the phone and was so rude she actually cried. I tried to speak to him via the online chat on their website. He told me he wasnt going to talk more about it and then he PHONED my partner and shouted at her for having me pester him.

We contacted trading standards and the bank and told them what happened, within 24 hours the money was back in our account. Mr Cooper said he would keep 20% of the payment which obviously didn't happen. We were advised that the bank details were correct and that he was possibly delaying sending out the item as it was not in stock.

Either way, Mr. Cooper is extremely rude. His business sucks and I'll be shocked if one day someone doesn't visit him personally to get their money back. He can't be trusted.

If you've been scammed by him, DONt worry, just go straight to your bank and to trading standards and they'll get your money back quick.

mattlatch

Mar 27, 2010
When Mr. Cooper stings you, its simple:

1) Print off all receipts
2) take it to your bank
3) Ask them to getyour money back
4) CALL trading standards
5) Send mr Cooper a request to cancel the order and request a full refund or you will report him for possible fraud within 30 days.

ALSO: i actually found a cheaper machine at ASDA

jazzer

Apr 18, 2010
Hi, I was thinking of getting a machine and was doing some research and came across singerdirect.co.uk which I thought to begin with was the official singer website. However, after looking on the site and seeing the 'About Singer' page I thought, hmm, if this was the official Singer site it would say 'About Us'. After checking out the video message from Mr Cooper and the picture of the shop on the contact page I thought, something not right here. The site also brags about beating Argos prices which I didn't think an official Singer site would do because after all, Argos is selling Singers!!

Googling for this singerdirect ste's reviews threw up absolutely nothing so it must be a recently acquired name. So, after discovering this was in fact Coopers' and did some more Googling eventually ended up here. I have since discovered that there are at least 2 other names used, sewingmachinediscount and coopersewing as well.

I never buy from a site that has no reviews so it wasn't really a lucky escape but anyway I just thought I'd warn others of the names being used for this 'company'. He claims on the video they are officially agents or whatever for Singer which may or may not be true but if so I wonder if they know how he operates. It can be seen here at singerdirect on the about-singer page. Sorry I have not enough posts to be allowed to post the link but you can find it from that I'm sure

monto

May 21, 2010
I have just been scammed by Coopers,I am a pensioner .£139 for machine, said it had been refused do not go here,read the reviews they are true. wont give me tracking number. wont get my money back.been verbaly abused by Mr Cooper as well, he hung up on me. you have been warned

sheezy

May 21, 2010
I have purchased an overlocker from Coooper sewing machines and have nothing but praise from their service. They phoned me to appoligise as they had not stock of the machine I wanted and it would not be available for two weeks. They also gave me further discount because of this and have promised me extras as well. I got a phone call yesterday to say they machines were in and mine had been dispatched. This was within the two week time scale.
So I can't compalin at all about them.
Shelagh