Coopers Sewing Machines

Anyone who has had dealings with this firm and can prove it with a receipt

• Total voters

monto

May 21, 2010
I have purchased an overlocker from Coooper sewing machines and have nothing but praise from their service. They phoned me to appoligise as they had not stock of the machine I wanted and it would not be available for two weeks. They also gave me further discount because of this and have promised me extras as well. I got a phone call yesterday to say they machines were in and mine had been dispatched. This was within the two week time scale.
So I can't compalin at all about them.
Shelagh
Hi Sheezy, I have been on the phone this morning to Singer,they have a list a yd long about Coopers non-existent after sales

and deal all the time with complaints about Coopers,so you a lucky one,unless you are an employee?

monto

May 21, 2010
it late I know for I see it was in jan you wrote this,Singer themselves at Tyne and Wear do the £139 machine 4210, deliver nxt day also,They are investigating Coopers themselves. I had a chat with them saturday, and they have all kinds of horror stories about Coopers,please please do not buy from them.the stress for myself has been bad. They are using Singers name and Singer are not happy!!!!!! Monto

stefjamz

May 26, 2010
does anyone know if the shop actually exists in London???
Cooper Sewing Machines Ltd 666-668 High Road Finchley London UK
if this is a proper c/o ripping people off like this how come they have not been closed down or even arrested & done for fraud?

monto

May 21, 2010
Hi Stefiamz.
Yes this store does exist,trading standards are aware of the problems as are Singer, but they have to gather info before the can act.

Our machine by the way is broken,and will be on its way to be repaired after five hours use. We are by passing Coopers, cant face the hassle.

You just have to make sure you do not go to Singerdirect.co.uk to buy anything.

bigmac58

May 28, 2010
Hello all, I too had expereince of this firm late last year. The rudeness and personal insults/abuse were breathtaking. I did eventually receive what I had ordered and it works but out of concern for the likely afterservice I rang Toyota themselves to ascertain how I would receive service under the 3 year guarantee on the machine via the manufacturers if Coopers had been closed down by the authorities. I was told by the Chairman of Toyota UK they would honour the warranty in those circumstances via another dealer.

He further went on to say Coopers were one of their main outlets!! They are aware of the problems and are 'monitoring the situation'. I doubted anything will happen as he also told me John Lewis had stopped stocking Toyota machines and there was some suggestion they may stop selling fabrics.

I dont know the situation with Singer but it might be worth approaching them if you are worried/struggling to get any afterservice.

Regarding the rude individual. I too saw the video and the shopping channel. The voices seemed identical. The mannerisms were as a person with Tourette's Syndrome. Either that or this dude needs a wake up call rather sharply.

Good luck to all of you, and if you are reading this thinking of buying, think very very carefully.

bigmac58

May 28, 2010
Hi there, yes, I was shouted at in fact screamed at is more apt. I am amazed no one has phoned the police as it is an offence under the Telecommunications Act to use phones etc for transmitting abuse. It must be terrifying for women on their own.

monto

May 21, 2010
Can anybody help me sending replys to my threads?I am not sure how to do this.Thank you Bigmac for your thread

onlineshopper

Jun 11, 2010
I had already placed an order with Coopers (sewingmachinediscount.co.uk) before reading the above reviews so was rather wary if anything would arrive!

This company is certainly not your regular online shop - be assured that you will receive no contact/email in relation to the progress of your order or despatch etc unless you telephone them to find this out. I contacted Coopers around 3 times by telephone to check that the correct machine (an upgrade) would be despatched. Unsuprisingly they were due to desptach the original machine, not the upgrade, however after compromising on a couple of days delayed delivery I did receive the machine that I wanted, which was delivered on the promised day and I'm pleased with it.

I emailed a couple of days later to query the 'free gift' which was then sent to me (a canvas sewing machine case, scissors and threads).

All in all do not expect great customer service and do not trust that what you order will be the machine that arrives, however when I spoke to Coopers by telephone they were helpful and phoned me back when arranged. The experiences by other customers are truly dreadful, and although I had to do a lot of the chasing to arrange my order (which I expected after visiting the forums) I did not encounter any rudeness.

rainbowe

Jun 30, 2010
DO NOT BUY FROM COOPERS THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY

I ordered form this website, i rang the day after placing my order to cancel it, i spoke to Mr Cooper himself he was a very sweet talking and reassured me that i could return it after it arrived, told me there wouldnt be a problem. The machine arrived and i didnt like it, so rang him, his mood totally changed he was horrible, abrupt, and very unhelpful, said 'i dont know who you are, have never spoken to you and no you cannot have a refund' he then sniggered and puit the phone down i was absoluately gobsmacked, and furious and now am stuck with a machine i never wanted in the first place!

reviewer

Sep 15, 2010
Avoid like the plague

This is the rudest most unprofessional customer service I have ever come accross. I wanted to purchase a sewing machine for my wife's birthday. I clicked the chat and was asked to phone, i explained I was at work and could not phone. The operator began to be rude and closed the chat. I tried again and was bombarded with a barage of abuse!!

At this point I had made my mind up that there was no way I would buy from them, however I felt bad for them, as it is possible that they have a kid on the chat that could really be affecting their business badly so I phoned them.

I enquired about the Janome 4900QS sewing machine I was confronted with a number of paranoid questiuons saying I was a dealer!!! I tried to say I am not but was then told in these words "Sir do me a favour F*** O**" I was left very shaken after this but at the same time extremley relieved I did not order from them!! PLEASE avoid them, this is not a company that knows anything about customer service.

I feel so so lucky I did not use them. Please AVOID. I fee so sorry for old women/ladies that will be very shaken by the abuse! I am prepared to do anything to help close this business down, they should not be trading it is not right, how can they get away with this!!!

bigmac58

May 28, 2010
I am so sorry to hear this dude remains at large, unchecked and still abusing folk. If nothing else the rudeness and abuse serves to indicate the level of service one could expect if something went wrong. I seriously doubt the producers of these sewing machines give a monkeys so long as they are shifting the boxes. I can only suggest buying older machines and taking them to a decent service engineer. Not ideal but the alternative is Argos and just throw it away when broken. My last machine I had 23 years from by taking it to a decent engineer. I just feel sorry for all those who have been abused by this character. I'll wager he would not be so brave facing my husband.........

adgreen

Oct 20, 2010
[DO NOT TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE

We've had a very similar experience with this horrible company. We ordered a new sewing machine which was not delivered as agreed. We rang up to enquire about the order but received lots of abuse. A few moments later, Mr Cooper's assistant rang back to tell us that they had attempted delivery in a taxi but we were not in (which was not the case) and then wanted to pass on this 'phantom fare'. In the end, we bought a used sewing machine disguised as new but by this point we were just relieved to have received a machine at all.

We were so traumatised by our experience we rang Which? at the time to complain about this company's poor practice - as Cooper Sewing Machines was listed on their website. Unfortunately, Which? did not call us back or take the company off their listing. Be warned.

lolac

Nov 9, 2010
I bought a singer sewing machine from Coopers in May and have had endless problems with it. the box was tatty and had been resealed so Im pretty sure they sent me a used machine. I called them and they said they would collect it for repair although they never turned up.

I am going to call again but am dreading it, after reading all these posts I'm not sure I want to give the machine back to them. I don't think they should be able to get away with this behaviour. I think everyone here should think about sending there story to watchdog then we might get somewhere with this company and warn people from buying from them in the future.

lolac

Nov 9, 2010
I emailed coopers using advice on writing a letter of complaint from the consumer direct website. Coopers contacted me the next day to apologise and asked me to bring the machine to the store for repair. They repaired it and it works fine now. I would recommend everyone to write there complaints down as it worked for me. Hope this helps! Lola

Firefly

Dec 9, 2010
Well I'm stunned. I joined this forum to say how pleased I was with Coopers. I ordered a new sewing machine online and received it in less than 48 hours. I cannot fault the product or delivery. If I had read all this before I ordered I would not have done so. Glad I didn't!

squeak

Jan 15, 2011
LDN
Ho ho ho Mr. Cooper! I mean Firefly. Just not possible now the 'showroom' has closed and is now re-let (go to the site-map). What a truly greedy and cynical little man you are.
Yes I too was looking for a sewing machine but the appalling spelling (and ridiculous promises) led me to search for the 'Guardian' piece which could feasibly be the local rag but certainly not the national newspaper. And then I found this forum.
Thank you and commiserations to all posters and disappointed customers.

Mrs_Dalloway

Jan 20, 2011
We were just on the verge of ordering as well, good job I stumbled on this site! so now I have to go back to the drawing board, can anyone recommend a good online retailer for sewing machines please?

H3l3n

May 10, 2011
I so wish I'd googled the company before I bought from them!! :(.

The shoddy customer service still continues. I bought a sewing machine from them in January. The machine turned up within the week, but there was no sign of the free gift promised with it. I emailed to ask about it, then called a month later, then again another month later and eventually received a sewing machine bag and three pairs of scissors so was quite pleased.

However, I've now got a fault on the machine. Having spoken to someone who knows about these things it seems likely it is the timing. I've snapped 3 needles now having tried different fabric and different thread. Coopers will not pick it up as I don't have the original packaging. I can post it to them but this is at my expense. Trading standards tell me the only way I might get the postage refunded is to go through the small claims court.

My local sewing machine shop (where I wish I'd bought it from in the first place!!!) will repair it for £39 + parts. But this would invalidate the guarantee.

Having read this forum I'm not sure I want to let the machine go back to Coopers anyway.

Hopefully this will teach me to only buy from companies with a good customer service record!! :(

bridgetT

Jul 14, 2011
I bought a new machine last year and it was due for its promised free collection and delivery Service, so I duly packed it. It was collected very quickly and off it went. This machine was working beautifully, no problems, I just wanted to have it serviced. I got a phone call to tell me that the bobbin case needed to be replaced. I couldn't understand why, but asked,wasn't it covered by the guarantee? No it's a consumable, so I had no option but to pay by card, £25:
I thought about it afterwords, and in 40 years of home sewing have never heard of this fault, so I phoned them straight back and asked them to return the damaged case with the machine so that I could see what was wrong with it. My machine came back OK and they have put a different bobbin case in, but no sign of the old one. I think this is a way of recovering carriage charges which they say are free. I won't pay any attention to their useless guarantee again, Anybody else had a similar problem? Bridget