Fault with Accoustic Solutions TV

will74

Jan 25, 2010
Hi,

On the 7th of Feb last year I purchased a 32inch Acoustic Solutions flat screen TV from Argos. I didn’t take out an extended warranty so it is only a matter of days until the guarantee expires. Since the 8th of December I have had an intermittent fault with TV (It keep switch its self on to standby). I reported this with Argos and to cut a very long story short (repair company could not source required spare part for weeks etc etc) it finally looks like the repair will be happening this week. My question is that if the repair happens after the warranty expires will I have to pay for it? Also if the repair is unsuccessful will I be covered bearing in mind the fault was reported within the warranty period?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Will

will74

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for your help Tony. Argos have already told me im lucky the fault happend now and not in Feb or i wouldn't have been covered as i have no extended warranty. So basically they are lying? Im astonished!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not necessarily lying - potentially ignorant or just talking about warranty cover.

Tony

will74

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks again Tony. Just one more question. From date of purchase how long is a TV covered for repairs? and if repair is not possible would a replacemt be provided for the same period?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not a simple answer. It depends on the price paid, environmental conditions, amount of usage etc. You can claim under SoGA for up to six years from purchase. This is not all good news, you have to prove it has an inherent fault after six months and they only have to offer repair, like-for-like replacement i.e. not new or a partial refund taking into account usage - a five year old TV is probably worth about £20 these days.

Tony