How to spot a rogue trader...

YLT Steve

Jan 30, 2009
www.yourlocaltrades.co.uk
How to spot a rogue trader
Cold callers may use these lines to frighten homeowners into doing business with them

"You have loose tiles on your roof"
"Your roof has been leaking"
"I see cracked brickwork on your house"
"You need to have some pointing on your chimney"
"You need some work doing on your driveway"
"I'm doing some work in the area and have materials left over which we need to use up"
"I'm doing some work for the council down the road"
"I'm doing free property surveys to check if you have any rising damp"
"Your brickwork is acting like a sponge soaking up the rainwater" (Ignore this popular line as bricks are supposed to behave like this!!)

These are the things cold callers will say need doing

Roofing repairs
Gardening services, tree surgery
Path or driveway work
Block paving or tarmac driveways
Damp proofing
General maintenance work
Guttering repairs
Fascia boarding repairs
Wall surface coatings

How do I get rid of these rogues?

Do not engage in conversation with them
Say you do not buy goods and services at the door
Say you need to compare prices
Say you have to discuss it with your partner, son, daughter or friend

In the case of the elderly, particularly those living alone, it is well worth thinking about having a son or daughter authorised as a joint signatory on bank accounts for amounts over, say £200.

If you think your house needs work, then these are the steps you should take.

Never EVER employ a cold caller

Always use a professional builder who is recommended for doing similar work or a bona fide member of a trade association, see the list below. Alternatively you can submit online free to get quotes from a pre-vetted tradesperson and then rate and recommend them afterwards.

Talk to the builder's previous customers. Go and see the jobs they have done and make sure the customers were happy. Check they completed the job properly and came within/on budget.

Produce a detailed written specification for the work you want done.

Ask at least three builders to provide written quotes.

Make sure the builders' quotes cover everything you would like done, including the supply of materials, removal of rubbish and making good after the work is finished.

ProBricky

Jul 24, 2009
Nonsense, ridiculous post.......

(Never EVER employ a cold caller)

Your post is prejudice, stupid and insulting to tradespeople :mad:.

I'm no rouge trader, and if I was working down a street and see a house that had visible damage to brickwork I would have no hesitation to knock on that persons front door and ask politely if they would like me to repair the damage for them.

Does that make me a bad trades-person? a rogue trader? NO

Just because someone acts on work opportunities doesn't make them bad at their job!

And if you had tiles missing on your roof "which you hadn't noticed" and a roofer working in the area were kind enough to notify you that your roof was damaged and offered to fix those damaged tiles before it turned into a costly repair... you would tell him to get lost would you?

Why? for letting you know you had a potential problem.

Your post is just plain prejudice and it shows what a small minded fool you are Steve get a life.

YLT Steve

Jan 30, 2009
www.yourlocaltrades.co.uk
(Never EVER employ a cold caller)

Your post is prejudice, stupid and insulting to tradespeople :mad:.

I'm no rouge trader, and if I was working down a street and see a house that had visible damage to brickwork I would have no hesitation to knock on that persons front door and ask politely if they would like me to repair the damage for them.

Does that make me a bad trades-person? a rogue trader? NO

Just because someone acts on work opportunities doesn't make them bad at their job!

And if you had tiles missing on your roof "which you hadn't noticed" and a roofer working in the area were kind enough to notify you that your roof was damaged and offered to fix those damaged tiles before it turned into a costly repair... you would tell him to get lost would you?

Why? for letting you know you had a potential problem.

Your post is just plain prejudice and it shows what a small minded fool you are Steve get a life.
There is always one that doesn't read a "whole" article,

"Always use a professional builder who is recommended for doing similar work or a bona fide member of a trade association, see the list below. Alternatively you can submit online free to get quotes from a pre-vetted tradesperson and then rate and recommend them afterwards."

This means that you can do what you have said, but BACK IT UP. this article was about "making up" work, but fully qualified tradespeople who "notice" something wrong will of course mention it to someone. BUT WITHOUT the forcefull tactics of getting it done THERE AND THEN!
This article was composed when rogue traders was at it's worse.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Tradesmen need to be sensitive to fact that cold calling does cause a lot of stress and anxiety for the elderly.

Also, they need to protect themselves from rogue consumers. For example, if you do some work that is more than £35 you have to give a formal cancellation notice. If you start the work within the 7 day cancellation period and don't get written confirmation from the customer that they are waiving their right to cancel. If these things are not done the contract is legally unenforceable and the customer does not have to pay a penny.

Doorstep selling and your consumer rights | Consumer Information