Next Generation Media Group Rolling Contract Con

schlimbo

Jul 9, 2012
Help! I am about to take this company on, I too entered into a 2 year contract but was not made aware it was a rolling one. Same format as everyones, an invoice turned up for the next 2 years, thing is my company is no longer in business which NGM know.
If you can give me any ammo to fight with I will be truly grateful.
In the same boat as you, let me know how you get on!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It may be an idea if a few of you are thinking of taking this company to the small claims court, that you co-ordinate your submissions through MCOL, a few going in at the same time may give them reason to rethink their attitude.

H_meet

Jul 12, 2012
Brendan Carrig • I am currently experiencing first hand, the underhand & dishonest business tactics that The NEXT GENERATION MEDIA GROUP use to obtain money.
I was approached in May 10 (2 years ago) to advertise the ‘Wake facilities’ we offer in our restaurant in our local ‘registration service guide’ which I was told, would be supplied to all local registry offices, and that it would be on display to every person registering a death.

It took close to 8 months to get the publication printed, And through the past two years I have not had a single phone call regarding the advert I placed.

In May This year, I received a invoice to close to £600 for the next two years in this publication, Which I never agreed to, when I contacted Next Generation Media they told me that in very small print in the ‘contract I signed’ it stated that unless I gave 12 months written notice, they would automatically re-new my agreement.

1. We were never given a copy of the contract the agent asked us to sign a booking form which he had the top part covered and he said he would send us a copy with the proof.
2. We never received a copy and after many requests they finally sent us a copy 2 months ago, we were stunned to find they had conned us.

Their agent knew from day 1 that we would try their publication just once and that is why he covered the top of the ‘booking form’ and never left us a copy.

We have reported them to Chris Prime at Citizens consumer advice who wants all the information from us and also if any one has a similar story, he would like their details , to put together a case for trading standards, because of the miss selling

We have no intention of paying as we feel we have given them adequate notice and feel they have suffered no loss. They offered us a full page for the same fee but I am fed up of big companies conning small business’ (as well as not receiving one enquiry)

Looking at all the online complaints this company must earn more from hoodwinking rather than providing a good honest service.

If any one wishes to discuss, please call me on 01279 730549

Brendan

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
I too took out a 2 year contract with next generation media, or so i thought.
Salesmen led my to believe it was for 2 years, it took months of phone calls asking when the brochures would be available. No one at nmg seemed to know the answer to this.
we had very little response to the brochure so had decided not to renew, thinking we would get a phone call to give us the option to cancell.
Then we received an invoice for a further 2 years, phoned NGM to be told you have to send an email to customer services.
Which we did, the response from them was it is a rolling contract & that we needed to have cancelled a year ago.
Email sent back that i was unaware of any rolling contract or needing to cancell a year ago, i did not want to re advertise with them & would not be paying for something i didnt want.
5 days later email from NGM threatening court action if payment was not made, I am very annoyed with this company , who do they think they are.
I have sent them back an email telling them, i have sent an email to Watchdog about this.
From all the stories people have put on here, i told them it looks like they will be taking a lot of people to court.
I await an email or phone call in response , as i have told them i look forward to having my say in court.

Jul 27, 2012
I am disappointed to hear these comments about our company. We have over 7000 clients throughout the UK, and lots of glowing testimonials about our products and services. We are very proud to win our first award last month.

It is inevitable as all companies experience that we will have customers who have complaints from time to time, it is what you do and how you act on those complaints which makes the difference. I invite any one who is not happy with our service to contact our freephone number 0800 0198 450 and talk to us. Our aim is to have 100% of our customers happy and content and we will do everything we can do to meet this.

We do have a rolling agreement on some products to match the contracts we hold. This keeps congruency and means your prices do not rise, not one penny. There are not many companys that can say that over the last few years. We have experienced only yesterday a 33% price increase in our contract with microsoft. This does not happen with our service.

If you do not wish to reserve your space in one of our products for the next edition there is an ample window to tell us this. Over 65% of businesses always have renewed with us, so a decision was made to streamline our business and offer rolling agreements which guarantees no price increase. This is always explained and is in written in large letters at the top of our agreement.

If you do have any queries or comments please do contact us on 0800 0198 450 and we will do everything we can to assist you.

Kind Regards

Next Generation Media

Jul 27, 2012
After reading these complaints it is clear that these customers have entered into a contract without reading it clearly. Our contract not only states that it is a rolling contract of which part is retained by the client on signing it, but also it clearly states how they can cancel if they wish to.

We are a solid business who are proud of our services, products and solutions and have awards to prove this. We have no interest in acting as this thread has painted us. Please look on this very forum and search for company's such as British Gas, Talk Talk, Orange, Insurance Company's etc and see that they have hundreds in some cases thousands of complaints.

Our aim is to have 100% of our customers happy and content and we will do everything we can do to meet this. We have thousands of customers and It is inevitable as all companies experience that we will have customers who have complaints from time to time, it is what you do and how you act on those complaints which makes the difference and I must stress this is the minority.

When a new customer signs a contract with us, we;

1) Verbally explain the terms of the contract before signing.
2) The contract clearly states that this is a rolling agreement and what to do if the customer does not wish to continue.
3) Within 2 working days the customer is called and the contract is consolidated, to make sure the customer knows what they have signed up for and that we have all the correct details. This call is then recorded and kept on our system.
4) Our terms and conditions can also be found any time on our website www(dot)nextgenerationmedia.co.uk/terms(dot)php

Our next actions and full focus is to design our customer a professional successful marketing campaign and it is unreasonable to expect us to continue to keep telling our customers what the terms of their contract. I am yet to experience a business who does more than the 4 points above.

We of course hope that nobody would want to cancel their contract with us, however If anyone wishes to then this is what you do:

1) Send us a recorded letter or email with your name, contact details and contract number stating that you wish to cancel the contract.

The address to send the letter to is Unit 8, Skyways Commercial Campus, Amy Johnson Way, Blackpool Business Park, Blackpool, FY4 3RS.

Alternatively you can call a member of our customer service team on 0800 0198 450 and they will give you an email to send your cancellation notice to.

On a final more positive note, let me explain the benefits our long term customers receive from us:

1) A fixed price. Customers who have been advertising with us for 4,6,8 years are still paying exactly the same price they were when they originally signed up with us. We have experienced only last week a 33% price increase in our contract with Microsoft, for exactly the same service. This does not happen to our customes.
2) A free of charge design and marketing service. Up to four times every year our customers can call up at any time and request a new advert design, which can include a rebrand or new logo design. These services alone can cost thousands of pounds every year.

We take these complaints very seriously and we would like to deal with each of these complaints individually. I invite all the real customers on this forum (and not past disgruntled ex employees) to call our FREE phone number on 0800 0198 450 and discuss these complaints directly with us. I assure you we will do everything to help resolve any issues.

If you do have any queries or comments please do contact us on 0800 0198 450 and we will do everything we can to assist you.

Kind Regards

The Customer Service Team
Next Generation Media

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
update another letter from NGM with threats issue of court papers & saying our account has incurred additional charges.
papers will be lodged by close of business tomorrow, not sure when that is though as the letter was not dated!
I stand by that i will not be paying for something i do not want, & for the very unfair T&G.
If it goes to court then so be it, I am ready to fight all the way

joodlemcnoodle

Mar 26, 2012
Response to the message from NGM......

“These customers have entered into a contract without reading it clearly.” – Very True. Not disputing this, but that doesn’t excuse you from having ‘unreasonable T&C’s’ – ask the OFT if they think your T&C’s are fair! They are investigating companies just like you for precisely this reason. I was told this is a major problem nationwide and they do NOT look favourably on rolling contracts requiring 12 months notice. -

“We are a solid business who are proud of our services, products and solutions and have awards to prove this. We have no interest in acting as this thread has painted us. Please look on this very forum and search for company's such as British Gas, Talk Talk, Orange, Insurance Company's etc and see that they have hundreds in some cases thousands of complaints.” – Irrelevant comment – we are not discussing those companies.

“When a new customer signs a contract with us, we;”

1) “Verbally explain the terms of the contract before signing.” – Did Not Happen. I was subjected to a very high pressure sales pitch! I was told I would receive a reminder when I could give notice to end the contract, but this never happened.
2) “The contract clearly states that this is a rolling agreement and what to do if the customer does not wish to continue.” - True
3) “Within 2 working days the customer is called….” – Did Not Happen

“Our next actions and full focus is to design our customer a professional successful marketing campaign and it is unreasonable to expect us to continue to keep telling our customers what the terms of their contract. I am yet to experience a business who does more than the 4 points above.” – It’s Not About Whether You Have Explained The T&C’s – It’s About Whether They Are Fair Or Not. See my comment above about the response I got from the OFT.

“I invite all the real customers on this forum (and not past disgruntled ex employees)…..” - You Must Have A Few Disgruntled Employees If You Feel The Need To Even Mention This??

It's possible that NGM are not using high pressure sales anymore and maybe they are indeed trying to improve their customer service..... but I can only speak about my own experience 2 years ago and I would not touch them with a bargepole again, because of all the problems I had with them.

cormicj

Aug 13, 2012
Hi guys, just got landed with a bill for the 2 year sting upon having not cancelled in first 12 months. We are looking to fight this but does anyone have any success as of yet against these guys?

Next gen are utter bullys our company (run by m wife and I along side full time jobs) doesn't turn over enough to cover this and we were not made aware of the stipulations upon signing up for the advertising(which by the way never went in the place it as meant to!!! we are now facing a bill for over £1000 that we cannot pay and i don't want to be bullied into going to court as we cannot afford the court fees either!!!! just wondering if anyone has had any success in fightin these guys back as we are in real trouble!!!!

i cannot believe that they have such a long cancellation period and that in the aggressive sales pitch my wife was subjected to no-one mentioned the details of cancellation.

Really unsure as to what to do as can't pay it but don't want to go to court or have bailiffs coming to my house!!! any help would be much appreciatied

Last edited:

joodlemcnoodle

Mar 26, 2012
Hi guys, just got landed with a bill for the 2 year sting upon having not cancelled in first 12 months. We are looking to fight this but does anyone have any success as of yet against these guys?

Really unsure as to what to do as can't pay it but don't want to go to court or have bailiffs coming to my house!!! any help would be much appreciatied
You don't need to go to court. Just stand up to them and refuse to pay. Contact the OFT and Trading Standards - I did that and wrote a very strong letter to them saying there was no way I was paying. They made a fuss at the start and I got a letter from a debt management company but I refused to pay them as well. You can check whether a company has ever sued anyone successfully or not and they have NOT. It's all a lot of hot air. No court would ever accept their T&Cs - the OFT do not consider a 12 month notice period to be fair so they have as much chance of winning a court case as flying to the moon!
Do not be bullied, no matter how horrible their letters are. Just stand up to them and they will back down. Play them at their own tactics and they will soon get the message - it's much easier for them to concentrate on the mugs who carry on paying than spend time and money fighting someone in court.
If they get really nasty, you can always write to all the press and Watchdog as well.....and don't forget twitter!!! Powerful stuff, social media...... Good luck!

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
everyone is in the same boat, they have so far threatened us with issueing court papers a week ago.
Now they say they have tried to contact us on numerous occasions, we have had no phone calls, only contact through email { which i have kept all copies of}
They say they are now passing on to a Debt collection company within 24 hours & that we have additional charges , interest and costs that will be added.
They say the contract was disscussed , it was not.
we were led to believe that we paid for a 2 year advertisment, and we would see how it went if it didn't work for us we would cancell.
Rolling contract was never discussed & 12 month cancellation period was Never brought to our attention.
I have not got a copy of the contract & do not remember ever having one.
I have written to watchdog myself.
From all the information on this forum & if you look there are at least another 3 that shows problems people are having with this company.
I had someone ring me who advertised in the brochure who was getting the same problems.
NGM have been told twice that i do not wish to advertise with them, so as far as i am concerned i owe them nothing, you can not make someone have something they don't want.
so they WILL NOT be getting any money from me & i have told them i am willing to go to court.

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
great idea with twitter & don't forget Watchdog as i do know that if they get a few complaints about one company they will follow it up & investigate further. Good luck

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
Another nice letter from Final Demand Ltd, on behalf of Next Generation Media.
I am getting sick and tired of this company now.
They have been told on 2 occasions that i no longer want to advertise with them.
I am not going to pay for something i have clearly told them i dont want, they now reckon the said debt has additional costs of £149.76 in costs & interest.
Considering the last two years advertising was paid for in july 2010, the advert did not go out untill nov 2010, i have emails confirming. So i would say they actually owe me a few months advertising back.
I await the legal action they say will follow if we do not pay.

oldbloke

Sep 1, 2012
I have to say this cos it concerns current and future companies that may be contacted by this company and any other company in the Blackpool, Lytham, St Annes, Fylde Coast areas offering marketing in some way similar.

In the early 90's I worked for a marketing company designing some of the first in-room digital signage advertising. Basically it was a loop system that played throughout the hotels TV link via a video system or computer based using Scala. Well before some of the idot companies you see today doing it. The hotel got it free and advertisers were contacted in the area and charged a fee for advertising on the system. Usually a 2 year contract, sometimes 12 months. But always rolling, and most of the time the client was unaware of this.

The company knew what they were doing and ripped off a lot of clients over the time I was there, roughly 4 years. After leaving I realised it wasn't just them doing it, but a fair chunk of marketing companies around the area of St Annes and Lytham. There was GP surgeries (like there is now), Wedding brochures, Hotel information booklets etc. and of course the hotel information system. In other words anything an advert could go in.

2012 and its still happening and stemming from the same locations. Blackpool, St Annes and Lytham, even Kirkham not far away. Coming from this area and trying to make a living myself not only makes it even harder to get business because of idiots like this, but also makes me ashamed that there are businesses like this in the first place.

I worked for an Internet marketing company 5 years ago in web development and I knew a sales person had lied to a potential client. When I was past a call from the client a few days later, I didn't lie I basically told her that she didn't need our services and a few days later I quit.

Just for the record.
DON't give any Credit or Debit Card details to the company. They store these details, regardless of what they might say or the legality of it.

If you do sign a contract, take a photocopy of it before you give it back to the sales rep. (I have known original contract wording to change, still with your signature on it)
Also make sure you check for any wording regarding rolling contracts. Then tell them where to go!

DO NOT just deal over the phone as I also know that recorded messages can be tampered with. Deal via recorded post.

Speak to whoever it may be that will be hosting the digital signage and keep in regular touch, every quarter for example.

Now I am not saying all marketing companies are like this, but it does concern me when a fair chunk of them stem from this area and have been doing the same thing over and over again for years. Different medium but still the same result, companies getting ripped of.

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
hi there, has anyone else heard anymore from Next Generation media, they have passed us over to Final Demand Ltd now.
It does seem they keep chopping and changing the debt collection agencies they use.

mhen

Jul 25, 2012
update after another letter from Final Demand, finally we got a letter from NGM saying that we are clear and do not owe them anything.
I had written them & Final Demand a recorded letter saying that we did not want to re advertise & had been given advice to the effect thet if it was to go to court the judge would probably be in our favour, due to the unfair terms& conditions.
I am not sure if the letter did it or if they had a call from someone.
Anyway we have the result we wanted after months of stress.
Good luck to anyone else in this situation

northwestvictim

Nov 5, 2012
Hi. I am new to this forum. Thought that some of you would like to know that there is a news piece on them in the Blackpool Gazette website last week. I can't post the link as I am a newbie:) You could google 'focus on jobs for media stars'. Be warned, it could make you angry.

The comments make interesting reading! Seems like they have been joined by another company called CMS Media (who were called Club Media Systems) and also go by the name of CMS (AV) and Silveropinion Limited. I understand they too have worked on rolling contracts for plasma TV advertising in the past. The number of names they have used suggests they too may be no angels.

vgirl

Dec 8, 2012
I was in the same situation with this bunch as many others- I had moved house and they still tried to bully me into paying for another two year term Following a demand for money based on their shady contract terms I wrote a strong letter quoting the many other complaints about this firm and they withdrew the demand and actually offered me free advertising. I just want to say how helpful the forums were in nailing these shysters, and everyone should do the same. Just mention legal action and telling the media and they run a mile. I asked for precise details of what they had done for my money, quoted recent press coverage of dubious auto renewal policies, threatened them with Trading Standards, Watchdog and the Ombudsman and they just crumbled.