Paysafe scam

mindy54

Dec 29, 2012
Thank You!
I had lisa75morgan e-mail me today...and thanks to your posts I have saved myself £280.

She (but she could be a man) was selling a concept 2 rowing machine on GUMTREE.

Luckily they only have my mobile number and postcode...as I didn't go any further with it. I think it's wrong that the police won't do anything! Maybe WATCHDOG need to know about this?

Anyway for those out there who have not had the pleasure of these scam e-mails here are the two they sent me. I have removed my name.

"Hi,
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on 07425620661 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Lisa.
P.S. Will let you know before heading out, cash only please."

Then followed by another e-mail...

"Of course, nothing goes according to plan :( Unfortunately I've just got called into the office so very busy till next week, hectic lifestyle. However, back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge hihi company benefits :) .

I asked around and it seems you can pay cash upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment with no extra charge.

If that's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and also date&time suitable for the delivery.
Second option - if you want to pop in and collect you'll have to wait till next week or so when hopefully I'll get my head around.
Let me know either way. No need to worry If my reply is delayed since I'm just having fun working long hours ... or not
Lisa."
ive just had this scam on gumtree it did seem too good to be true but i nearly got sucked in and by seeing this site i have kept my £500 quid,this is what they emailed me
Hi
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off

If you'll send me your postcode I can check out on my satnav the distance to yours.

Reasonable price and accurate description, it's worth the money, no bad surprises. I won't go any lower.
Can be reached on 07425-620661 low signal strength area but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Janet.
P.S. Will let you know before heading out, cash only please.
also
Of course, nothing goes according to plan Unfortunately I've just got called into the office so very busy till next week, hectic lifestyle. However, back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge hihi company benefits.I asked around and it seems you can pay cash upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment with no extra charge.
If that's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and also date&time suitable for the delivery.
Second option - if you want to pop in and collect you'll have to wait till next week or so when hopefully I'll get my head around.
Let me know either way. No need to worry If my reply is delayed since I'm just having fun working long hours ... or not
Janet.
i checked out her google + account and seemed genuine by adding photos but the emails started to ring alarm bells beware all

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Whatever did we do before copy and paste, think it would be worth writing a new email for £500.

Glad for every person who 7s saved from this scammer, I am also disgusted at the attitude of the police.

Does anyone who has been scammed live in London, if so could you private message me your address and contact number please.

Trackers

Dec 30, 2012
I would like to grealy thank the OP of this scam. I have exactly the same conversations via email from janet78brownATgmail.com

The item in question was a Canon DLSR 550d Camera. Posted on Gumtree in Devon/Cornwal.

After receiving the email regarding cash on delivery; I did a quick Google search & found this forum.

Thanks again! This is definitely something i can see catching a lot of people out; i was convinced until I found this forum!

Be safe out there!

Matt

fredblogs

Dec 31, 2012
Got this email today

Janet brown <janet78brown@gmail.com>

Janet Brown <janet78brown@gmail.com>

2:04 PM (1 hour ago)

to me

Hi Fred,
Don't know if it's been long since you've emailed, I've been out so couldn't follow up on my text message. Can't promise anything but visiting my mum shortly, wouldn't mind making a drop off :)

Can be reached on 07425-620661 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.
Ta,
Janet.
P.S. Will let you know before heading out, cash only please.

I think i might be getting an email very soon asking me to mail the money. It was for a Acoustic guitar, Taylor GS6 and selling for around a third of what it is worth.............sigh

Devonblue

Sep 20, 2012
Mine was a £370 Fender Stratocaster buddy, I came so very close to losing it, think yourself very lucky this site exists :)

Hantubiru13

Jan 6, 2013
Sussex
Mine was a 'Banjo in Excellent Condition' advertised on 1st January for £70 - I only avoided disaster at the last minute as I didn't believe in free delivery by Parcel Force with payment on receipt!! Plus the website at gmail+ was a bit strange with the pictures all havig been put on at the same time.
Why isn't there a way to stop these people?????
Thank you to people who post on this website - I was starting to think I was just being paranoid......

AVOID!!! JANET78BROWN 07425620661 - AVOID!!!!

paneuro876

Aug 21, 2013
Re: Paysafe scam and Gumtree

I saw a item on Gumtree, we did a deal and then came the email:Dear --------

David Barow has requested that you pay him/her £400.00 via PayPoint
Request details: ***Bose*** Home Theather Soundbar Cinemate SR 1 with Wireless Subwoofer
In order to complete the transaction through our Paysafecard payment system follow these steps:

Get your Paysafecard Vouchers (PIN`s) (example)
PaySafecard values : £10, £25, £50 or £100
You have to buy 4 PaySafecard PIN's with the value of £100
You can also buy more Paysafecard PIN's in order to cover the full amount of invoice.
Confirm the Payment at: paypoint-payment.com/invoice/confirm/vouchers/paysafecard.php
Do not pass the Paysafecard details to the seller until you receive the product and inspect it!
We will inform David Barow that you've paid the paysafecard vouchers.
The item will be delivered next day through DHL/Royal Mail and you will receive a tracking number.
You are ready to test and inspect the product!
If you're satisfied you can send the Paysafecard details to Mr. David Barow
If the item is not as described reply to our contact email in order to receive a full refund.
For full information about the Paypoint system simply contact us at
paypoint at paypoint-payment.com

I went to a Paypoint and they told me to check were I am sending the money and does it ask for PIN numbers if it does its a SCAM.

This David Barows, said that he was in the RAF and that this is the best way to do business for him and me as I could view the goods before completing

DONT DO IT, I didn't and a little research saved me £400.

Hope I've saved you

Lloyd59

Mar 3, 2014
I have just had a similar experience on Craig list looked at a add for a Canon 400mm lens at a price that would have been a bargain as they say to good to be true i contacted the seller he wanted me to use Paypoint which i have never used he asked for my details so they could send me a email which is the same as others posted on here. Asked him for his contact details no response called at the local post office that does Paypoint and the gentleman there said they had never used the pay safe cards and advised me against going ahead with the transaction as he felt it was a scam so looked up on Google and ended up here glad i did saved me £300 the seller started to pester me so i told him i was not happy with the payment method and could i do a face to face exchange to which he said the lens was in Scotland but his add says he lives in London he would not meet so i declined to go any further he has a number of Canon items for sale on Craig list so please beware the add says he is in Wandsworth his name is
Robert Tolbot
Cheers R

Fredcolo

Mar 27, 2014
These people are still at it on Gumtree, wanted to buy a metal detector seemed too good to be true! When the parcel force option was offered I was glad I found this site, see scam email below.

Of course, nothing goes according to plan :( Unfortunately I've just got called into the office so very busy till next week, hectic lifestyle. However, back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge hihi company benefits :) .

I asked around and it seems you can pay upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment with no extra charge.

Can be reached on 07902954444 low signal strength area :( but check emails regularly.

AVOID Sarah Wilson!

Hatescammers

Apr 4, 2014
Thank you,

You've just saved me £400!

I replied to an ad on gumtree for a Brompton bike, when I replied to the ad via gumtree, I received an email from Katy Downs who asked me to contact her husband on his work email address. This is the reply I got when I asked him if I could arrange to see the bike........

"The brompton bike is still for sale, the last price is £400. I`m selling it due to my job, I don`t need it anymore. Perfect condition.
My name is Richard Downs , I work as a flight sergeant in the Royal Air Force, I have recently been
transferred to a new military base in Scotland but you don't have to worry because the item is in UK and we will use a fast and reliable cash on delivery service (PayPoint) , this way you will have the opportunity to try the item first. Let me know if you're interested to use this service."

Not knowing anything about he paypoint service I asked how it works, he replied:-

"i'll explain you, step by step, how this works:

1. You send me your details (Full name, full address - street, city, post code)
2. I forward your details to Paypoint and inform them to start the transaction .
3. paypoint start the whole process and send you the invoice
4. you go to a paypoint store and buy Paysafecard vouchers(pins) in value of 400 pounds .
5. you confirm the Paysafecard vouchers online (you will find all the details in the PayPoint invoice)
6. once confirmed, Paypoint will start the delivery of your item.
7. The item will be delivered in maximum 48 hours to your address.
8. You will be contacted by Paypoint when the package will arrive in your town. You will receive it home to check and inspect it. If everything is alright, you give the vouchers to their agent and pick up the item (the agent will transfer vouchers value into my account)
9. Case closed

Possible Nr. 10 - but i don't think it will be necesarly . If you don`t like the Item (but, i repeat, i don't think this is possible, you will just love it)- You will deny the item and PayPoint will give you a full refund .

So, all i need is your full name, full address and of course, your phone number, and i will start the transaction asap ."

Not feeling comfortable with his reply I decided to do a bit of research on the internet and thankfully I came across this site, and it definately rang some alarm bells.... The Raf story, the not so good English, the advert being placed in Manchester and the seller being in Scotland, asking for the serial number of the bike and him not replying, and him telling me that he had already left the bike at paypoint and so I couldn't see it first. I have reported this scam to gumtree and the advert appears to have been pulled.

Avoid Katy and Richard Downs.

dgwilym

Apr 29, 2014
I belive that it is gumtree themselves posting these ads and committing fraud and theft, look at this current ad for tenor sax in gumtree cardiff for £'90.

I had the same emails asking for vouchers etc, I have reported this ad to gumtree over 18 days ago and it still stands.
Either gumtree are part of it or the security team there are allowing it to happen.