Ripped Off by a Cowboy Builder

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
It's everybody's worst nightmare isn't it? I remember watching something really shocking about builders where they absolutely took the mickey and were peeing in the ladies crockery. Sorry, probably shouldn't have mentioned that but I think if I was going to get some work done now I would make sure I had a contract, probably would film secretly as I'm so paranoid about things going wrong too!

VLee

Apr 13, 2010
Hi there everyone.

I'm working on the BBC 1 Programme Cowboy Trap and am looking to fix up some problems that Cowboy Builders have caused throughout the UK.

If you are up for having a confidential chat then please do get in touch! 0141 422 6032.

Cheers

Vicky

VLee

Apr 13, 2010
Re: Best Wishes

I am absolutely amazed by this story, not to say disgusted, and I hope you are finding some resolution. Not only is this stressful, it consumes you life. I wish you the best.

I have been done over my builder on my extension- half of it was built then he turned up more infrequently. Then he demanded more money to finish it (an extra 12K). We agreed 5K, which I paid, he turned up for a bit, but it still has no roof- what do I do? And he won't come back, won't answer my calls!

What do I need to do to get him to finish this work?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there.

I'm working on the BBC 1 Programme Cowboy Trap and am looking to fix up some problems that Cowboy Builders have caused throughout the UK.

If you are up for having a confidential chat then please do get in touch! 0141 422 6032.

Cheers

Vicky

VLee

Apr 13, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there everyone.

Cheers

Vicky

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
Hi Everyone

Our organisation took part in a channel 5 programme about rogue traders three years ago. We had a client who had fallen out with their builder 1/2 way through a £1.5m renovation. The TV show came along and resolved it - something us and Trading Standards had been trying to do for about 9 months!!! :D

If you have an issue with problem plumbers, rogue roofers or blag builders going on TV DEFO helps. :)

axlechaos

Feb 26, 2010
Familiar variation on the theme that you hear time and time again, however, this tale looks to be an extreme case. Builders appear to have the law on their side, and any advice that is available when looking for a trustworthy builder always seems to surface once the problems start. Of course, this is because we don't listen and learn too well.

Anyway, what recourse have we got when we are dealt with seemingly unfairly by the builder/authorities apart from litigation? Can we name and shame the builder, and if so who can we include in our audience? Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

covictim

May 14, 2010
Familiar variation on the theme that you hear time and time again, however, this tale looks to be an extreme case. Builders appear to have the law on their side, and any advice that is available when looking for a trustworthy builder always seems to surface once the problems start. Of course, this is because we don't listen and learn too well.

Anyway, what recourse have we got when we are dealt with seemingly unfairly by the builder/authorities apart from litigation? Can we name and shame the builder, and if so who can we include in our audience? Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
The best action without using the civil court is one of two options: 1) Make a Formal Complaint to your local Council Building Control, they have the power to do one of two things,[a] Make the builder return to site to complete the work to Building Control Standards Take the Builder to Court. 2) Find your nearest Trading Standards Office and go there in person and lodge your complaint directly with them. I have been conned twice by bad builders so I have learned the hard way. signed covictim.

covictim

May 14, 2010
I have been involved in a project to build three new terrace houses. I am now on my third builder. The first builder charged £240,000.00. These two cowboys took me for £211,000.00 before refuseing to return to work. The second builder has had a further £184,000.00 and after 21 months asked for another £20,000.00 or they would not return to work. The third builder has done more work in two weeks than the second builder did in 9 months and has charged an additional £50,000.00 but is requesting money only for work done Not in advance.
I took the legal action against the first builder Bankrupting one and going to Court with the other partener in June this year so far costing £14,000.00. The second builder I have complained to Trading Standards who are investigateing and my local Building Control.
Has anyone had bad deelings with a company called R & G Howell Ltd if so get in touch as my local Trading standards would be most interested.
I have found from stress and worry that the only Builder you can trust is the one that pays for his own materials and work stage by stage and only asks for money for work done. If you get a builder that asks for money UP FRONT then tell them to get lost, there is a good chance you'll get stung!Signed covictim.

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
I have found from stress and worry that the only Builder you can trust is the one that pays for his own materials and work stage by stage and only asks for money for work done. If you get a builder that asks for money UP FRONT then tell them to get lost, there is a good chance you'll get stung!Signed covictim.
As a builder I have to agree. There should also be regulation,(I hate regulation as a rule) that any building work should be done under contract that protects both the client and the builder.You only get one side of the story on these sort of forums usually when things have gone wrong or a cowboy builder has been involved, Legitamate Builders who try and do the right thing as far as customer service is concerned will tell you of many instances where they have been ripped off/not paid by the client. I have a job at the moment where after 12 months of hard work and about 50% of the bill recieved the client now says he has no money to pay the final bill.We are talking six figures here an ammount that could send a small builder under.We have tried to compromise and been very civil about it but the guy is just not interested in paying.Court action looks the only option ,where we will win the case and he will show he is broke,everyones a looser

So remember its not only the client that gets stung. Draw up contracts,get a reputable builder ,do searches on the web,credit agencies ect.Go and see previous jobs done by the company,a good builder will be proud to take you round completed jobs. And of course Pay up on time

covictim

May 14, 2010
As a builder I have to agree. There should also be regulation,(I hate regulation as a rule) that any building work should be done under contract that protects both the client and the builder.You only get one side of the story on these sort of forums usually when things have gone wrong or a cowboy builder has been involved, Legitamate Builders who try and do the right thing as far as customer service is concerned will tell you of many instances where they have been ripped off/not paid by the client. I have a job at the moment where after 12 months of hard work and about 50% of the bill recieved the client now says he has no money to pay the final bill.We are talking six figures here an ammount that could send a small builder under.We have tried to compromise and been very civil about it but the guy is just not interested in paying.Court action looks the only option ,where we will win the case and he will show he is broke,everyones a looser

So remember its not only the client that gets stung. Draw up contracts,get a reputable builder ,do searches on the web,credit agencies ect.Go and see previous jobs done by the company,a good builder will be proud to take you round completed jobs. And of course Pay up on time
Reply from covictim.
If your client has only paid you half the money for the job you have done, you must have increased the value of their house considering the three figure sum you mentioned. Your best cause of action with the best result is:- Spend £1,000.00 via a solicitor and have your client Declared Bankrupt. With bankruptcy, a] You cant hold a mortgage during the bankruptcy period. b] The clients bank account is Frozen by the Insolvancy Agebcy and any credit they have is seized. c] Life insrance that has a surrender value is seized as are any shares held. d] A bankrupt can not get a credit card during the bankruptcy period and any applications for credit or a new bank account the person concerned MUST declare that they are Bankrupt. e] Any property sold in the previous TWO years can be traced back by the Insolvancy Agency and any profit made can be recovered by them to pay the creditor's. So it would seem that this is this option open to both the builder and (in the cases of Bad Builder) the customer to. The message to ALL parties is "dont start something you cant finnish" or watch out. Oh yes, do'nt bother with CCJ's they seldom work and will cost the earth to get in place and the recipient can apply to the Land Registry to have them removed (with a good reason). I know this to be true because I have done it!!!

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
Reply from covictim.
If your client has only paid you half the money for the job you have done, you must have increased the value of their house considering the three figure sum you mentioned. Your best cause of action with the best result is:- Spend £1,000.00 via a solicitor and have your client Declared Bankrupt. With bankruptcy, a] You cant hold a mortgage during the bankruptcy period. b] The clients bank account is Frozen by the Insolvancy Agebcy and any credit they have is seized. c] Life insrance that has a surrender value is seized as are any shares held. d] A bankrupt can not get a credit card during the bankruptcy period and any applications for credit or a new bank account the person concerned MUST declare that they are Bankrupt. e] Any property sold in the previous TWO years can be traced back by the Insolvancy Agency and any profit made can be recovered by them to pay the creditor's. So it would seem that this is this option open to both the builder and (in the cases of Bad Builder) the customer to. The message to ALL parties is "dont start something you cant finnish" or watch out. Oh yes, do'nt bother with CCJ's they seldom work and will cost the earth to get in place and the recipient can apply to the Land Registry to have them removed (with a good reason). I know this to be true because I have done it!!!
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the work in question was done on a buisness premises. There are legal implications that are different as to work done on private housing.I have to agree with your CCJ comment,a complete waste of time. My origional post was just to say its not always the cient who gets stung,often its the builder..At least we are communicating with the buisness involved so we may be able to come to some sort of agreement without hopefully involving the courts.

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
Sorry to learn about your problems Winnie. The people you employed to work in your house sound like a bunch of crooks.The eastate agent should be done for aiding and abetting. You seem to have gone about finding a builder in the right way by getting recomendations but an Eastate agent! realy Winnie everyone knows they are guutersnipes ,this one was in league with the cowboy and more than likely on a backhander for finding them work.

Hope they get all they deserve.

PS. You could send someone round to have a chat with them (cough!) if you know what I mean. Its probably the only language they understand

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
I always check now to see if they have a CSCS card...
The CSCS card is only an indication that the person has passed a Health and Saftey test ,NOT that they are competent builders.
Unfortunatly over the years there have been a lot of these type of cards and Guilds that have been set up with the sole purpose to give some sort of retarded recomendation to those involved. The "Guild of mastercraftsmen" for one only requires a cheque sent in the right direction and one persons qualification certificates.Hardly worth the paper its written on. The CSCS card can be had by anyone. A simple test that to be quite honest my wife could pass and she has never been on a site.Have a look at there web page,IT WAS AND STILL IS A CON TO EXTRACT MONEY FROM BONAFIDE BIULDERS

lucy253

Dec 13, 2010
I too have had a very bad experience with a Birmingham firm called livewire a complete bunch of rip off merchants and cowboys, if you need a builder/plumber do not call this firm based in yardley Birmingham, they take your money but do nothing for it, avoid them at cost, your cost!!!

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
MPM247

This post appears to be blatantly advertising your services which is not allowed. Not only that but i have looked at your site and it contains no company information which you are required to provide by law such as registered company name, number place of registration etc in order to comply with the Companies Act 2006.

How do consumers know who they are dealing with?

M

MPM247

MPM247

This post appears to be blatantly advertising your services which is not allowed. Not only that but i have looked at your site and it contains no company information which you are required to provide by law such as registered company name, number place of registration etc in order to comply with the Companies Act 2006.

How do consumers know who they are dealing with?
Your being a little petty, don't you think. You purport to be running your site in the interest of the "consumer", when a genuine link comes along that will help your members of this thread, you object. Perhaps this is because it may detract from your main purpose of running your web site, to try and earn revenue from all the advertising on the site. Surly, a site such as ours is just what your subscriber’s need! I suspect this will be removed before they can read it, thank you anyway
Nice website by the way, especially the way you try to appear a government agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
MPM247

Does this not show your true colours? Why does the site appear to puport to be a goverment agency? If you spent time reading what it actually does you would not post threads such as yours.

I don't get involved in any of the 'revenue' aspects. My role is to help consumers which i do for free and that includes preventing sites like yours advertising when there is no way anyone can verify who you actually are. Like I said your site contravenes an Act of Parliament which I will now take the time to report.

Who exactly are you and what do you have to hide. Why would I want to hand over my hard earned money to website company that does not want to display its details? Sites like yours are popping up ten a penny , there nothing new.

M

MPM247

Please point me in the direction of a comparative website, we cant find one