Watchdog DVLA Driving Licence

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
The DVLA are saying that on 2 March 1999 and 10 May 2000, two further applications were returned to me as they were incomplete.

I never received these, so I think my solicitor is asking to see copies of these letters, to see what they were asking for & if they were asking for something I had already sent them.

The light at the tunnel does seem very dim at the moment though!

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
DVLA still not responded to my letter. They also haven't responded to my e-mail, even though I've had a Thank you for your e-mail response. Am thinking they are not bothering to write to me as they wrote to MP.

DVLA not responded to solicitor letter yet, they would have had letter three weeks on Monday.

I have sent DL1 form off (duplicate driving licence), waiting for this to come back. Have had to re-arrange theory test due to waiting for this duplicate licence.

This has been going on nearly two months now!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Have you thought about doing a subject access request asking to see all correspondence internally about yourself?

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I have e-mailed solicitor to ask his thoughts on a Subject Access Request, just to keep him in the loop

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Solicitor still not had a response from DVLA.

He has said it may be worthwhile for me to send a Subject Access Request, so I have done this today. He said for me to send it rather than him, to save on legal costs (nice solicitor).

Still not had a response from driving test centre with a copy of my Certificate of Competence, I have contacted Driving Standards Agency who seem to be dealing with this for me now.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Thinking about it, I have paid a fine a few years back for a speeding offence, yet my duplicate licence has now arrived (provisional not full), showing no endorsements on it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
How long ago? can you remember, that is the circumstance in which I was prosecuted for having no license, had you not had one, I'm sure the prosecuting force would have noticed!!! even if Swansea hadn't, worth following up with the police that issued the NIP?

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
How long ago? can you remember, that is the circumstance in which I was prosecuted for having no license, had you not had one, I'm sure the prosecuting force would have noticed!!! even if Swansea hadn't, worth following up with the police that issued the NIP?
I think it was about 3 1/2 - 4 years ago - can't remember exactly. Someone said though it won't show on my licence if it was more than 4 years ago. But like you say surely the prosecuting force would have noticed.

What were the circumstances with your license issue?

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
DSA have responded today.

Thank you for your email about a certificate of competence.

Unfortunately we are not able to identify which document you require. Please note that we only keep a record of test passes for two years.

If you wish to clarify which document you require, please reply and we will try to assist further.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think it was about 3 1/2 - 4 years ago - can't remember exactly. Someone said though it won't show on my licence if it was more than 4 years ago. But like you say surely the prosecuting force would have noticed.

What were the circumstances with your license issue?
Insurance companies ask for 5 years details so its reasonable to expect the records to be kept at least that long? I'll find out how long the police keep them for.

I got done for speeding and when the NIP came it was also for driving without a license, usual story, I couldn't find my license anywhere (still haven't found it) and after a very long telephone call to DVLA with a very patient member of staff she traced my license, they had made an error on my last license and my driver number didn't reflect my surname (they had put NH instead on NN), she had to go right back to my first provisional and trace it right through all the various addresses etc before she found it tho so their database isn't very impressive.

They did sort it in the end tho' and sent confirmation to the courts.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
These stories about the DLVA make me worried. I have just moved home. I know that I have to send my license to revise my address - by law.
I am nervous of doing so, as I certainly do not want the hassle and cost of going through a new test of all my classification which are on my current license.
I also have to hire a vehicle in the next few weeks - which will require me showing my license. So, if there is a delay - I get screwed up.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
There should be a citizens charter - what we are entitled to receive for the charge made.
The DLVA is a commercial organisation in all but name. They charge a profitable amount for a small, monopoly situation - and sometimes do not it well. But they do not have any control on the services which they provide.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I have photocopy of my pass certificate, but the solicitor wanted to see original to see the wording on it & if there was any wording on reverse of it. Obviously my original is with the DVLA from when I sent off my application

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Subject Access Request details received, to be honest it doesn't make a huge amount of sense.

From what I can make of it, it shows when first provisional was issued, then it shows I passed my test on 10 09 1998, then it says passed not on licence - cancelled, then it shows duplicate licence issued which is the one they have just issued.

It then shows document trail details - document number - type of document

It says no endorsements held on record.

It doesn't tell me the reason why the licence was never issued, so I am still going to have to see if the solicitor can find this out, by trying to obtain copies of what they supposedly sent me

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
This may be a stupid question but how would they have a record of you passing your test if you didn't apply for a license?
I did apply for my licence after passing my test, DVLA then wrote asking for a different sized signed photocopy of passport - ID signed to authorise it was myself, this I sent back.

In the letter to my MP the DVLA are saying that on 2 March 1999 and 10 May 2000, two further applications were returned to me as they were incomplete. I never received these, therefore the DVLA are saying my application was not completed within the two year time period.