Watchdog DVLA Driving Licence

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I am hoping the reason the DVLA are taking so long to answer the solicitor is because they are actually looking into this, and what has happened.

I can but hope!

susie_mcg

Jul 31, 2009
Hi Ronnie

I find myself in a similar situation - I got pulled over last night because I had a light out and when the police did their checks they came back and said my test pass is on record but I've never had a full licence????

I've not seen my licence for a long time and tore the place apart last night looking for it - to no avail! I think it got lost in the chaos of moving house. Spoke to the DVLA this morning and they are adamant I never applied for it. If I could find it I could prove them wrong! She suggested I apply for another provisional and re-sit my test which to me is an admission that I am in the wrong so I am reluctant to do that.

Now I'm worried the police will be back to charge me with driving without a licence! Last night they said that it's possible there's been a computer error and that it's been known to happen especially more recently with motorcycle licences. They had no problem letting me get in the car and drive home so I don't know what happens next.

I wish you all the best in your quest to get your problem resolved, I hope you will keep posting about your experiences as it might help me out too! Good luck!

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
I am very sorry that you find yourself in the same predicament as I. Frustrating isn’t it?

I have been in limbo now for three months. Just hoping that the solicitor can obtain some useful information from them. Although the solicitor sent original letter eight weeks ago, and a reminder letter two weeks ago. I can only hope it is taking so long because they are looking into it.

The MP did not get a successful response.

I agree with you about not re-taking the test – it’s the principal isn’t it?

What is your next step going to be?

susie_mcg

Jul 31, 2009
I have written a letter requesting that they conduct an investigation. Not filled with much hope though after reading your post.

Very strange that the cops let me drive away if they thought I didn't have a licence - I'm pretty sure they will follow that up - they said they would speak to their DVLA liaison person and get back to me.

Judging by your experience sending this letter to DVLA probably won't achieve anything, least of all a reply, so I guess my next step is going to be to take some legal advice before I get a knock at the door from the police.

I loathe the thought of having to re-sit my test, I was delighted to get my licence at 17 and not have a single point! Now I'm told I've been on the road for 11 years illegally. Sounds like a money making ploy if you ask me. Funny how this never flagged up when I was pulled over a few years ago for a routine check.

Have you been summonsed to court for this? If so is it just the licence issue or are they adding no insurance since technically your insurance would be void? :confused:

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Mmm, I see what you mean, the DVLA have never ever answered my original letter to them.

There was a lot on watchdog about this a few months back – have a look at their website and the DVLA blog on there, you will read a few more horror stories similar to ours!

I feel exactly the same about the whole re-taking of the test, the only reason I have decided to start my theory is in preparation for the worst outcome. It seems bizarre having to do this, when I have copies of my theory & practical passes (not the originals because they were obviously sent to DVLA with full licence application).

That is a concidence because I would’ve passed my test 11 years in September! I like you cannot believe in all this time, this matter would not have arisen! Especially when I have always taxed, insured my vehicles.

No court action issued as yet.

At least the police were understanding with you at the time and say that licensing mistakes do happen.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
What seems interesting here is for both your test passes to have been in the same year, can I suggest you go back to the Watchdog website and find out when others failed to receive their licenses, just think mass migration of data? new database in this year possibly?

It may be clutching at straws but it's worth checking out

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
What seems interesting here is for both your test passes to have been in the same year, can I suggest you go back to the Watchdog website and find out when others failed to receive their licenses, just think mass migration of data? new database in this year possibly?
I was also wondering if this is more than a coincidence!

susie_mcg

Jul 31, 2009
It's funny you should both mention that, I ws talking to my mum earlier about this. I passed my test on August 3rd, 1998. From memory I sent for my licence a few weeks later. Maybe if you sent yours right away they could have been processed around same time?

Starting to think the clowns have lost a disk or wiped a batch of records?

I'm off on my hols tomorrow so just going to try to forget about it for a few weeks but I'll definitely be catching up on this thread when I get back.

I don't know if it's permitted on the site, but I think Ronnie and I should swap details in case this is in fact a case of a computer failure. Maybe being able to use one another as an example might give us a bit more clout?

Definitely going to have a look and see if there are any other victims from 1998! Although I still think it's a money making scam....

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
They could well have been processed around the same time. I wonder if there is anyone else in the same situation as us?

Try not to worry too much & have a nice holiday. I have had to try to stop worrying about it so much, as there is absolutely nothing I can do but wait now!

When you get back, I am happy to swop details.

Money making scam for who?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I don't think it's a money making scam, just gross incompetence and the usual government worker's mindset of "nothing can go wrong with our bureaucratic system"...

glebe farm

Aug 3, 2009
When we took out are insurance with cars, tractors i had to take my driving licence in to them to photocopy.
Has your insurance company got copys as they would not insure you with out a driving licence
Good luck

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Has your insurance company got copys as they would not insure you with out a driving licence
Good luck
My Insurance company has not got a copy. This is what I cannot understand, how this issue has not come about previously during the 11 years I've been driving.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Passed Theory.

Solicitor still not heard anything.

Got to start arranging lessons now in preparation for actual test, I suppose.

My car is due to be taxed at end of September & the MOT is also due, but I am wondering will it fail because of the dent in the boot – am holding off getting it repaired until I have a response either way from DVLA, as it could be the difference between me paying or the insurance company paying

susie_mcg

Jul 31, 2009
Money making scam for the DVLA, or as someone else said just failure to admit that mistakes can happen!

Congrats on getting the theory test out of the way Ronnie, I bet that's a relief! I've heard nothing from the police in the last 2 weeks so still in limbo (had a great holiday though!).

Have you thought about intensive driving course where you can pass your test within a week? If I have to do it again I'll be doing it that way!

susie_mcg

Jul 31, 2009
Ronnie - email address is my username at hotmail.com

Have been reading on this site about 2 women who went to DVLA in Swansea and got their licences re-instated...maybe we should do that? LOL

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Still no response to Solicitor from DVLA, reminder letter to them was sent about 5 weeks ago now!

Got a driving lesson booked for next week.

Ronnie1234

May 11, 2009
Passed test! Solicitor still not heard from DVLA!

Now I got to try & explain all this to insurance company. See if they class me as a new driver or not