XL holiday issue

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Steve, I really sympathise with you - I have also been in the same boat as you, however in September I got in touch with TR via this forum, and a chap who works there (don't know if he still does) - helped about 6 of us to my knowledge, I was going to Kos on 13 Sep -and XL folded 12 Sep. First we were told to cancel the hotel and accomm - but that meant we wouldn't be entitled to anything!!! I rang the Hotel Ionokos on Kos - and the owner told me the room was still there and are we coming - via Athens - with another airline?? I said no, I can't find anything cheap enough, I asked her if the room had been paid for yet - and she said no. They get paid after we arrive and use the room!!!! So armed with that, I rang TR and had it out with them, and this SteveD helped us and got us the hotel accomm and transfers refunded - in my case straight into my visa credit account. So like you said, I'm only waiting for Freedom Flights, there has been a lot of arguments going on whether we will get paid or not, apparently a decision was made on 12 Dec that we were going to be paid - but since then Cega seems to backtrack and find some other excuse not to pay us!!!! I rang up my visa company yesterday (cos I made a claim thru them 2 months ago to pay me my flights) but they said no - cos Atol will pay us. I rang them yesterday, and said I have been waiting 6 months for payment, and that they are liable under the 1975 consumer act to pay me, I said if they don't I will leave them and go with another credit card co, they said " If you can show us a letter from Atol saying they WILL definitely not be paying us - they will pay me!!!!" I wish I thought of that earlier - Atol are definitely playing with us - first they said ours was a tailor-made holiday, now they are also threatening to sue TR too - so they will pay us - but then Atol will claim the money from TR. I also rec'd a letter on Monday from TR - saying sorry we are still waiting for money, we should shortly receive a consignment form and then we will get paid!!!! I rec'd such an email from Atol on 12 Jan - saying "shortly" we will receive this form, I asked him how shortly is shortly - like you said, we are still waiting - this has been a debacle from start to finish - I booked April 2008 for this lost holiday, I will never book online again, and I will never pay by credit card either, I shall pay future holiday by bank debit card, and hope for the best - I think you can claim thru your bank on a debit card (according to Martin Lewis!!!!) - one of us Red - who also sought SteveDean's help in Sep has just been paid - read other threads to XL forum!!!!!!

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Steve, got a letter on Monday from Travel Republic apologising for delay (again!!) and saying we may be getting this consignment form shortly - and then we will be paid!!!! Do we really believe this?? Did Red get his consignment form??? Are we all getting it one by one as the roll call happens??? I only ask cos on 12 Jan Jackson Piers also mentioned I would be getting this form shortly - and of course it never happened!!! I also rang my visa card yesterday and asked her why can't I claim thru them, I was only waiting for my flights to be re-imbursed - but she said I never sent her a letter to say Atol were not paying me!!!! I could have done that back in September, not claimed thru Atol but claimed thru my visa - anyway, can't do that now because like you stated, Atol may be on the verge of paying (????) so I might just as well stay put!!!!! But I still don't believe Atol will ever pay - they are just keeping us hanging on!!! And I'm too tired to care now!! I think I will put this to the credit crunch and forget about this money!!!!

red

Aug 22, 2008
Hi Red - really pleased for you - I also got the accommodation and transfers paid by TR within days of contacting Steve, got the refund on my credit card visa - right up to the last penny - but it's Atol the problem, they seem to be dragging their feet and won't pay! They always have an excuse, did you need to sign another consignment form before you got paid??? That's what they told me - I needed to sign a consignment form, which they will send shortly (that was Jan 12th) then they pay me and TR would then pay them!!!! Never got the form - I keep sending them emails, how shortly is shortly??? Always ready with an excuse - you have given me hope cos before you said you got paid I was beginning to believe they had no money to pay us out!!!!! So I was consoling myself that at least I had half my money back straightaway early October, but was still waiting for Freedom Flights. I have since rebooked with a local travel agency - at least if Thomas Cook goes bust now I can get to the shop and get alternative, I will actually have a place to go - not an imaginery one online!!!! Where you couldn't ring, email or text or touch, never again book online!!!!
Hi Cate,

Dont know what the form was but yes we basically signed a form from ATOL (i believe) sent back and within 2 weks ish got a cheque or payment how we initally requested. Not sure if it went onto my partners visa or not if honest.

I never, chased ATOl after one call i made with an automated message saying dont contact us about this issue, we wont speak to you !!!

We tried to put to the back of our minds and showed a bit of blind faith. Eventually it came through. I think they are probably over whelmed with this issue and is just taking them along time.

I personally would try and forget it for 3 mth periods and see what happens, unless there is a timescale thing involved. However, you have made a claim so wouldnt of thought this would be an issue, sure someone can give a definitive answer on this one.

Though i know how you feel as we never thought we would receive it, but did in the end.

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Red - yes - best if I forgot about refund altogether, I have been waiting since Sep 20 - I sent in the Atol form straightaway - I downloaded from the internet so I didn't wait till Trav Rep sent me the form - but unfortunately they lost it for me - it was really weird, they got my bank statements, tickets, invoice, but said I didn't send in the form - can you believe that - I sent the whole package registered thru the PO - and obviously they lost me the form cos they rec'd everything else!!!! So I filled in another downloaded Atol form and re-sent it to TR - so I know mistakes were being made early on - so I'm not surprised this whole thing has been such a mess!!!! Than I got acknowledgement on 23 Oct - from Atol - allow 10-12 weeks for cheque - they said. At that stage I was happy to wait, but then 10 Jan - came - I rang up - where's cheque???It's been 14 weeks, oh - Xmas has happened - allow another 2 weeks - so I did, end of January, rang up and emailed again, where is my cheque?? Oh, we are still deciding whether to pay up or not, decision taken 12 Dec but we're still in dispute with TR. So ever since Jan I feel betrayed by the whole thing that is bureaucracy - so you're right to say just wait, because that's all I have been doing - I tried to claim off credit card - but they said Atol will pay me - eventually - so they have shirked all responsibility. Makes me so mad, I wonder how many people they have working on this unprecedented task???

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Steve, Tony, Red, I would like to announce that I got paid by CEGA this morning!!!! Ring the bells Halleluia - I still can't believe it!!! It's taken about 100 phone calls, 50 emails, letters to CEGA (in my case in Chichester West Sussex where our forms were being processed) and countless hours holding on the telephone, only to be dropped when my time came!!!) but finally an irate email last month started the ball rolling - as I told them that I tried my credit card to pass on payment to me, but they also passed the buck and said I had to produce a letter from ATOL to say they will not pay me - which ATOL refused to do!!!! The consignment form duly arrived, just as I was resigned to forget about the refund, and hey presto, 5 days after posting CEGA informed me the payment was sent (on Friday 3rd April) but it actually went in my bank account this morning (8th April!!!!) I will be celebrating this Easter - after all these months waiting!!!! So Happy Easter to all of you out there, and don't lose hope!!!!

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
That is brilliant news Cate and lets hope you are the first of many let down holiday makers who will be getting some compensation over the next few weeks!

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Thank you Kris1Anne - I hope it works for the others who lost holidays - did you watch WatchDog on Monday 6 April 09??? XL holidays and ATOL were featured - there are thousands in the same boat and still waiting for refunds!!!!

glider3560

Apr 9, 2009
So travel republic would keep our money and pay nothing to hotel - crooks!!!

No wonder they are so keen we cancel.

I have asked hotel manager to confirm this by email.
I suppose they could argue there is an administration burden involved and that you've agreed to this when you booked the holiday.

davegt576

Jan 27, 2009
No Refund for me

:(I spoke to the claims department last week. They told me that even though flights were collected from the freedom flights bank account as we had booked on xl.com they would not be paying us out.

They couldn't really say why Freedom Flights collected the money rather than xl.com. I tried to argue the fact that if Freedom Flights collected the money should atol not cover it but they were not having any of it....

Not sure if anyone else is in this situation and whether anyone has been told they would be paid????

Any help would be appreciated but I'm thinking I can't really persue this any further.

thanks

Dave

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Davegt576 - if the claims dept told you that - then you should definitely try and claim off your visa card!!! That is if you paid by credit card, in Jan I put in a claim thru my visa - but they replied that as ATOL would eventually pay me - they will not pay!!! When I challenged the visa people, they told me if I could produce a letter to say ATOL won't pay me, they would gladly pay up!!! So - ring CEGA back and ask them to send you a letter to say you are not eligible, then send it on to the visa and they will not be able to shirk from Section 75 of the Consumer Act. Watchdog on Monday 6 April featured all this - watch it on BBC iplayer - I'm still surprised I actually got paid this week, less than 5 days after signing another consignment form!!!! Don't take no for an answer, I kept on to them till I must have bored them silly with my constant barrage of emails and phone calls!!!

davegt576

Jan 27, 2009
The holiday was paid via a standard debit card so I am not covered by them. It looks as if I will just have to leave in a accept I have lost the money...Although I have still not received an official letter to confirm my claim has been rejected.

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Davegt576 - just don't give up - never give up - try claiming from your bank - threaten to leave and set up with another bank - I was at the point of giving up and then I thought "hang on - that is MY money and I worked hard for it - why should I let them keep it???" So - try your bank - they also have an obligation to protect your money - see what they say!!! I'm rooting for you.

lyndawaddy

Jun 5, 2009
Trying to get in touch with ATOL

Could anyone give me a number to speak to ATOL about my claim for my lost holiday with XL.COM, I am getting nowhere sending them emails, and have just written to the chairman Sir Roy McNulty but no answer there yet, but it has only been one week.

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
Have you tried:

assignmentqueries@caadotcodotuk (I had to type the dots out for this post to submit!) I emailed a few times via this (with a girl called Nikki who was hugely helpful) and had my XL money refunded within 2 weeks of claiming.

Have you made a claim? I may also have a phone number and a contact name. My PC has crashed since but I should have it saved on my laptop somewhere.

Deb

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
At 'lyndawaddy'

Have you tried:

assignmentqueries@caadotcodotuk (I had to type the dots out for this post to submit!) I emailed a few times via this (with a girl called Nikki who was hugely helpful) and had my XL money refunded within 2 weeks of claiming.

Have you made a claim? I may also have a phone number and a contact name. My PC has crashed since but I should have it saved on my laptop somewhere.

Deb

lyndawaddy

Jun 5, 2009
Could anyone give me a number to speak to ATOL about my claim for my lost holiday with XL.COM, I am getting nowhere sending them emails, and have just written to the chairman Sir Roy McNulty but no answer there yet, but it has only been one week.
Well happy kept ringing Sir Roys' PA and 2 weeks later my money is sat in the bank ready for my next holiday, the answer is presevere do not be put off by anyone

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
re- holiday refund - try customer above your par LittleDeb - she maybe able to help

LittleDeb may be able to help!!! Read her statement

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi LittleDeb - I got my refund end of April - thanks - have passed on your message to another lady who may need your help. So happy you got sorted too.