XL holiday issue

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi - I think you will find that you can still reclaim charges for debit cards from your bank - I'm sure if you read Martin money mail saver tips, he mentioned this a few weeks ago when the XL forum was at its highest!!! As long as it's more than £100 I think you can - but please ask Tony in this forum cos he knows a lot!!!!! Good luck Cate
Hi Cate,

The minimum for credit cards is £100, there is no minimum for Visa debit card claims - it is only Visa debit card none of the other ones.

Tony

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Thank you Tony for passing this on!!! Does that mean that after all this I do not qualify for payment - cos my holiday to Kos in Sep - booked thru TravelRepublic, was taylor- made??? I don't believe it after all this time!!! We had Freedom Flights (XL) and then different accomm package, so that's us isn't it??? Please enlighten me, so I can start proceedings with my visa card??? Cate

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not sure Cate, I'll have to defer to Steve's superior knowledge in this area : )

Tony

davegt576

Jan 27, 2009
My debit card is only a maestro card and is therefore not covered by any of the protection schemes. I believe all Visa cards should be covered!?

Going to try and speak to someone at ATOL in the coming weeks to see if they have any further updates.

Thanks,

Dave

davegt576

Jan 27, 2009
XL.com Claims

I have spoken to Atol today regarding flights booked through XL.com but purchased from Freedom Flights. They have confirmed that they have still not made a decision whether they will be paying out for the claims. They had originally said the decision would be made today.....They advised me to try them again next week.

They are not quite sure why it taking so long. It could be they will be paying out but want to keep the money in the bank as log as possbile!

Not sure if anyone else knows further details on this??

Dave

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Let us know how you get on... A number of people I know are in this situation and still have no word on how or when their funds will be returned.

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Tony - can you now see the message from Davegt576 - written on 13 Feb??? Still no decision has been taken to pay apparently - or as Dave says - they are keen to keep the money in the bank for as long as possible!! Any thoughts on this??? Cate

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Dave.... I feel just as frustrated with Atol's performance - and lies - they keep saying they have this letter now which we are all supposed to sign, and then the money will be released - but to be patient a bit longer, cos you know there are thousands and thousands of these letters to be processed!!!! But SteveD has said they don't need another letter like this, because we all signed our claim forms, then we sent them off to TR for them to verify that we paid and were who we said we are, so everything was in place just for Atol to pay us - but they keep bringing one excuse after another!!!! I have written off the money, and as such now, will never book online again, because at least when you go to a travel agent, if another airline goes bust, they can divert you hopefully to another holiday straightaway - with you sitting in front of them!!!! That's what this XL failure has done for me!!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Tony - can you now see the message from Davegt576 - written on 13 Feb??? Still no decision has been taken to pay apparently - or as Dave says - they are keen to keep the money in the bank for as long as possible!! Any thoughts on this??? Cate
I had a note from Red the OP:

Would you believe I finally got acknowledgement I would get cash back for flights from ATOL
Perhaps they are working their way down a very long list...

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
To Red: That is a really creative way to highlight and embarrass the company further, using links to generate search engine positioning on keywords. I think I shall have to remember that.

To the person who mentioned who the trade association for Capital One might be, it would be the Financial Ombudsman, which you can find here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

I hope this is useful for you. This really is an awful situation and could unfortunately set a very unpleasant precendent so I think the more pressure applied, the better.

Last edited:

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Thanks Tony for your communique - let's hope you're right!!! But we don't need any more letters of acknowledgement, we need the money!!!! It looks like they are holding on to it for all the interest they can make!!!! What do you think??? But maybe like you say, we can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!!!! Thanks Red for letting us know!

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Tony, re XL issue again!!!! I had an email 2 days ago from Piers Jackson, he apologised again for delay, due to over 200,000 claims, processing is taking ages, sorry blah blah blah. He gave me a phone no for the firm Cega has contracting out.... so he doesn't have my claim, blah blah blah.... rang them, they put me on to Freedom Flights, long wait, then a voice came on, she said let me look up your claim number, came back, do you want to ring back later ... tomorrow, no I said, I will wait whilst you rummage, anyway, she came back, she said "your documents are perfect - everything is in order, but you haven't had a review" what's a review I said?? You haven't got your forms signed by Travel Republic??? What?? said I - I submitted the forms in late Sep, they checked them and signed them, sent them on to Atol, they were going to send a disc with all our names to save ATOL having to ask for each individual holiday maker - all our names and payments are there, yes - she said, I have your bank statements that you paid in full - leave it with me - I said I have been waiting 6 months now, I booked for Sep 2008 in April 2008, so this has been going on, somebody has been making capital out of my money for nearly a year and you are not going to pay out are you??? You haven't got the money???? She twisted and turned and I'm supposed to ring her again by the end of next week, said I have been on 2 holidays over Xmas and had hoped I would pay with some of the money from refund, but all she said was Pay with visa, you will be covered!!!! The cheek!!! I wrote to my visa and sent them documents, 6 weeks ago, got the reply 3 days ago, sorry, the travel agency hasn't gone bust, Atol will re-inburse you - we cannot help!!!! Been with them 15 years, shall now seek another credit card - refuse to pay any more holidays with them, and then pay in full when the bill drops on my doorstep, shall pay future holidays with my bank visa electron debit card, I have lost faith in all these grubby greedy people!!!! So I'm still no further than being paid, even end of April now for all settlement - as stated in Working Lunch - seems too good now!!! I don't think Atol has the money to pay. What do you think??

red

Aug 22, 2008
Hi Guys,

I have now received my cheque from ATOL and booked a holiday in Scotland !!!

Going to Glencoe, no flights involved :)

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Well done Red - did you book with Travel Republic??? Atol seems to have an issue with them and want to sue them - I booked a taylor made holiday with them - Freedom Flights (XL) issued the tickets. Let's hope if you did book with TR there is hope for the rest of us!!!!!

red

Aug 22, 2008
Yes, if you look back through the thread there will be more info on my exact circumstances.

However, from memory it was a tailor made holiday as yours, accomodation and flights seperate.

I got money back from travel republic 100% for accomodation and recently money for flights from ATOL. It was hard work getting accomodation money back as you willl see on this thread and was thanks to this forum!!! ATOL was mainly a waiting game.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I wrote to my visa and sent them documents, 6 weeks ago, got the reply 3 days ago, sorry, the travel agency hasn't gone bust, Atol will re-inburse you - we cannot help!!!!
This is not true, the Credit Card company is jointly and severally liable as defined in s75 of the Consumer Credit Act. The company doesn't need to have gone bust.

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 | Consumer Information

And there is this from the OFT:

The Office of Fair Trading: Equal liability

Tony

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Red - really pleased for you - I also got the accommodation and transfers paid by TR within days of contacting Steve, got the refund on my credit card visa - right up to the last penny - but it's Atol the problem, they seem to be dragging their feet and won't pay! They always have an excuse, did you need to sign another consignment form before you got paid??? That's what they told me - I needed to sign a consignment form, which they will send shortly (that was Jan 12th) then they pay me and TR would then pay them!!!! Never got the form - I keep sending them emails, how shortly is shortly??? Always ready with an excuse - you have given me hope cos before you said you got paid I was beginning to believe they had no money to pay us out!!!!! So I was consoling myself that at least I had half my money back straightaway early October, but was still waiting for Freedom Flights. I have since rebooked with a local travel agency - at least if Thomas Cook goes bust now I can get to the shop and get alternative, I will actually have a place to go - not an imaginery one online!!!! Where you couldn't ring, email or text or touch, never again book online!!!!

stevem

Mar 10, 2009
travel republic refund

Hi guys,
We were booked to travel to Greece in September with XL airlines through Travel Republic. The CAA told us yesterday that the only part of our holiday that they were going to look into refunding was the flights. Travel Republic told us months ago that they would try to get a refund for some of the accommodation costs although they couldn't guarantee it. Haven't heard anything more about it since. They said they would phone back and never did, when we phone them, the person who was supposed to be dealing with it it never there.
I see some of you have managed a full refund from travel republic for your accommodation costs etc without a problem. Is there a secret to this?! Almost six months after the whole fiasco of losing our holiday, we still haven't seen a penny from anyone. :mad:
Any help you could give would be appreciated.

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Hi Stevem, if you can private message me your booking ref, I will find out what has gone on. I can then find out if the supplier was able to refund us, or in the end actually charged for the booking.

Sorry you have not got anywhere so far.

Steve
Travelrepublic

stevem

Mar 10, 2009
travel republic refund

Hi steved,
By some strange coincidence, another phonecall to travel republic today seems to have got the ball rolling! I've spoken to somebody today who has confirmed that we will be getting a refund for the accommodation and she is now trying to get a refund for the taxi transfers.
Many thanks for your speedy response though. Hopefully we will get this sorted one way or another.