XL Trading Publish Personal Data on their website

1984ReturnsForReal

Oct 8, 2009
Adam Bristow speaks

"Rumour Control - This is XL Calling!
Posted on 17th Oct 2009 @ 11:25 PM

Untitled 1

Hello there good people.. a bit of rumour control today as to what is going on at the moment.

1. We are NOT dead as the internet would have you believe.
The site is under attack by quite sad people online who believe you should not have your
god given right as people living in the UK and around the world, to enact the law that
states you should be able to own a backup copy of your media.

Since the big companies cannot take us down legally, they have to resort to attacking our
webhosting. Which they did over a week ago.

No problem - we just moved ship to a much more secure hosting site and its 5 brothers and
sisters just in case we have any more silliness from the bigger companies.

2. What has been going on this week?
This week we have got a more secure webhosting with 6 worldwide hosts around the world
which cannot be taken offline. We have also added the security of a few more
privacy options for the servers themselves adding to the whole package.

3. Why has the site been going up and down this week?
You may have noticed the 'suspended' grey page a day or two ago.
Nothing bad to report and to stop rumours of our imminent demise which is totally
not correct.. the site has been attacked by a DDOS attack in an attempt to drain
the site's bandwith to try and get the site pulled this way.
NOT - GOING - TO WORK
The problem with that is because we are on an UNLIMITED package for bandwith :)
Work has also begun to block any more attempted attacks from saddo's trying to kill
the bandwith once again.

4. Someone has a '300 page report on XL Trading'
Not at all. This is the same rubbish we keep hearing from a lot of people who
'claim' to think we have been arrested, put in prison, site being closed down etc.
None of it is true and no-one knows anything apart from who we have 'supposedly'
been reported to.
Until someone PROVES IT... its just crap.

5. You have been reported to FACT/FAST/Trading Standards have you not?
Allegedly (not heard from anyone apart from FAST).. and they have done NOTHING.
Because for the simple reason, they know they cannot prosecute us.
The bigger companies know this which is why they go after the webhosting
with DMCA requests. Pretty spineless really if you think about it.

We have a lovely email from FAST which we can produce if you wish which
indicates they understand the 'service legally' that we offer to clients
who have agreed the legal disclaimer which is why they are NOT investigating
us and have spoken to the relevant parties on our behalf.

6. TomTOm have been in contact have they not?
We have been talking to TomToms solicitor in the UK and we put our service across
to them. It was a very positive conversation with them indicating that NO LEGAL
ACTION would be taken against us. The main crux of the argument is this:

1. Client legally owns the maps already
2. Approaches XL for a backup copy of them on disc for example.
3. We legally disclaim that the client MUST own the maps already.
4. Customer has to agree to continue.
5. Disc is produced with maps on them.

What TomTom's solicitor basically said was.
1. Even though you pay £50 for maps.. you only own the licence to them.
CRAP. If you own the licence to them then, you are legally allowed to protect you
right by law to access the 'licence' by any means.

Which is WHY they and other companies.. cannot do anything as they know it is
ILLEGAL for them to stop you doing so.

7. You will be closing before xmas?
FALSE. We have been around 3+ years now and will continue to be around LONG after
other sites have perished.. just like the Pirate Bay ;)

8. PayPal has been stopped on the site?
Not at all. We hold over 6 accounts - nothing to do with XL Trading which cannot
be closed down by any attempts.

9. People are posting details about you online!
Problem is.. the details that are online are FAKE.
Nothing to do with XL at all :)
OOps....."

phil

Oct 18, 2009
Nothing bad to report and to stop rumours of our imminent demise which is totally
not correct.. the site has been attacked by a DDOS attack in an attempt to drain
the site's bandwith to try and get the site pulled this way.
NOT - GOING - TO WORK
Utter crap, the extra bandwidth is probably microsoft and others gathering evidence.

How can putting a disclaimer on the site override the law? You can't put a disclaimer either stating it is illegal to visit the site without permission either, what a numpty.

Inactive

Oct 10, 2009
No mention of the " totally legal " Sky Cards that they originally had listed.

They seem to have disappeared.

chazw1978

Oct 12, 2009
Genius.. I thought I would check to see if the sad peeps are still playing Miss Marple. I do admit, that some of you are wasted on this forum. You lot could actually solve 'real' crime... the Bill is calling you.

By you 'lot' I have a weird suspicion we are talking of the same people, who like me have only commented at the same time, regarding the same issue. Keep up the good work, your mothers would be proud.

(Ghost Busters theme tune)
If there's something strange.... on the internet
Who you gonna call - joy2theworld/ Walkable and so on
ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
I aint affraid of no pirates

Paul_C_Dickie

Oct 15, 2009
I aint affraid of no pirates

Despite the double negative meaning that you actually are afraid of pirates, I'll happily say that I'm also not afraid of them.

You see, I've been looking at the law.

XL Trading has, in the past, relied on some tosh first published some five years ago in PC Zone magazine which made the astonishing claim: "According to Section 50(A) of the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, legal purchasers of computer games are explicitly permitted to make a backup copy of their purchase."

There's just one little problem with that: no such section exists!

Please do not just take my word for that - see for yourself!

When that article was written, the section did exist - it was introduced by The Copyright (Computer Programs) Regulations 1992 - but it isn't there now. Even if that section still existed, though, it would be very doubtful if it would apply to DVDs and/or other video recordings, or to music CDs.

Nor was any right ever conferred upon legal owners of computer programs, video recordings or music CDs to copy or otherwise infringe the registered trade marks of the manufacturer.

1984ReturnsForReal

Oct 8, 2009
who like me have only commented at the same time, regarding the same issue
Unlike you who seems to be XLs Tradings sock puppet.

Just like the other 2 that XL created on the MSE thread.

PMSL @ Adam Bristow Harley Street....

Idiot.

& the cut & paste of a 2004 article for your legal section is a classic...

Paul_C_Dickie

Oct 15, 2009
the cut & paste of a 2004 article for your legal section is a classic...
It is certainly a classic mistake to rely on a magazine article that is five years old and now quite wrong.

Yet, even if the law on computer software had not changed, how could that "legalise" the copying of DVDs or music CDs?

Last edited:

chazw1978

Oct 12, 2009
Unlike you who seems to be XLs Tradings sock puppet.

Just like the other 2 that XL created on the MSE thread.

PMSL @ Adam Bristow Harley Street....

Idiot.

& the cut & paste of a 2004 article for your legal section is a classic...
or more interestingly, what have you lot typed into the internet to bring up XL Trading's website?

They must of really offended you for these crazy thread/s to still be going.

Oh and thanks for the English lesson.. that amused me. You will find they are the lyrics as written at the time. Maybe you should write and complain to the makers of Ghost busters. Why go to the effort of posting under different names though, thats a bit weird?

Paul_C_Dickie

Oct 15, 2009
Oh and thanks for the English lesson.. that amused me. You will find they are the lyrics as written at the time. Maybe you should write and complain to the makers of Ghost busters. Why go to the effort of posting under different names though, thats a bit weird?
The lyrics of the Ghostbusters song were written by an American and, like so many other colonial "gents", he was plainly semi-literate at best.

I note that you have not cared to address the fact that making copies of commercial software is illegal and that the 2004 reference to S50(A) of the CDPA no longer applies even to games software.

Nor have you dealt with the other matter of trade mark infringement.

Nor have you suggested how copying music CDs or video recordings might ever have been legal which - of course - it wasn't.

P.S. I do not post "under different names"; when you have been posting on-line for as long as I have, you may learn that it is usually unwise to presume that others have engaged in the same antics as yourself.

Last edited:

chazw1978

Oct 12, 2009
I dont beleive I have at any point suggested it was legal.. or not.

When I was younger, I did once tape TMNT song off the radio, and another time I taped a spectrum game.. and another time I copied an Amiga game from a mate. Dont grass me up though , I was young and ill-informed of the illagalities.

Just find this whole thing amusing. Your excellent grasp of the English language has me in awe, please sir, share more of your witticisms.

What qualifications do you hold. Me, I have a useless degree in Business and Marketing (I am unable to comment on law). You put me to shame, I behold thee in greatest regard.

What Law degree do you hold? you seem to be an expert?

I am enjoying this banter :D

chazw1978

Oct 12, 2009
The lyrics of the Ghostbusters song were written by an American and, like so many other colonial "gents", he was plainly semi-literate at best.

Oh.. and thats a bit racist :eek:

Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

1984ReturnsForReal

Oct 8, 2009

Oh.. and thats a bit racist :eek:

Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam Bristow (Sheffield)

Underlay_guru

Oct 9, 2009
Quote from XL Trading website:

"Forza 3 now in stock!
Posted on 14th Oct 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Now in stock"

FYI: The computer game FORZA 3 for XBox is not released in the UK until this Thurday (23rd October), and North America a week later. In other words, it cannot legally be purchased yet, so why would anyone want a backup copy, XL?

It is unlawful to sell a 'backup' copy if it is impossible for anyone to legally own the original yet!

...But I won't hold my breath for an answer: XL continuously spout how backups are legal, but seem to sweep the awkward questions under the carpet. Good luck in explaining your piracy antics to "TURN-10 STUDIOS" when they contact you very very soon...

Underlay_guru

Oct 9, 2009
XL now selling 'backup' copies of 'Pro Evolution Soccer 2010', another game which is yet to be released in the UK or North America.

Selling a game before its release is piracy.

Walkable

Oct 8, 2009
XL now selling 'backup' copies of 'Pro Evolution Soccer 2010', another game which is yet to be released in the UK or North America.

Selling a game before its release is piracy.

There is no question whatsoever that XL Trading is 100% illegal.

What is really interesting about this whole saga is to watch how long it takes for serious action to be taken against XL.

Meagain

Oct 10, 2009
And just for the people posting silly orders with us, we are tracking each and every IP that comes into contact with the site, proxied or not.
So when are you going to send me my 94,635 Vista CD's? I gave you my genuine email addy. Just need you to invoice me and cheque will be in the post.