Freshstart Living Limited – Fresh Start Living Limited – Freshstart

Elizabeth Tonbridge

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if it has anything to do with ROBERT ISSLER and BERNICE ISSLER being upset at having their names dragged into this mess?

Also looks like the elusive Karen Rai has bitten the dust - it says on moneyexpert she is no longer listed as management!!!!

Freshstart Issler have today changed their name,see companies house to:
FSL properties terraced portfolio Ltd

Choppers12

Mar 5, 2012
Just a reminder and a note to inform anyone on this site that doesn't allready know,go to :FRESHSTART LIVING & FSL ISSLER INVESTORS for all the latest info on Freshstart Living consumer reviews/refunds/complaints and advice. Keep posting on here and other sites listed on blogspot to keep lines of information about this company as current as possible ... knowledge is powerful.

Elizabeth Tonbridge

Nov 11, 2011
From moneysavingexpert id; Petesk

I have set out below a factual summary of my dealings with Fresh Start, which gave rise to my frustration.

• In the summer of 2011, I was considering purchasing the leasehold title in 5 units at a property known as Victoria House, Milton Street, Nottingham (“Victoria House”) from Fresh Start Living.

• On 30 June 2011 a Fresh Start salesman confirmed to me by way of e-mail that Fresh Start had just acquired Victoria House. I understood from this that they had acquired the freehold title in that property.

• Fresh Start also stated in their e-mail to me of 30 June 2011 that exchange of contracts on the units could take place within 21 days, with completion in December 2011.

• On this basis, I entered into a Reservation Agreement with Fresh Start Living on 07th July 2011 in relation to units 616-620, Victoria House. I also paid a reservation fee of £15, 000 to Fresh Start in respect of those properties.

• To date, I have not received any valid documentation from Fresh Start for the exchange of contracts in relation to the purchase of the leasehold in those properties.

• I have since learned that at the time Fresh Start entered into the Reservation Agreement, it did not actually own the freehold title in Victoria House, nor, so far as I am aware, did it have any contractual right to purchase the freehold in that property.

• The Reservation Agreement provides that if Fresh Start and/or one of its development companies fails to complete on the sale of the freehold, the potential investor (ie me) is entitled to a refund of the reservation fee.

• Given that I believed I would have exchanged contracts within 3 weeks of signing the Reservation Agreement, or soon thereafter, and several months have now elapsed seemingly without Fresh Start having completed on the purchase of the freehold of Victoria House, or being in a position to exchange contracts for the leasehold of the relevant units, I have sought recovery of the £15, 000 reservation fee I paid pursuant to the Reservation Agreement.

• To date, Fresh Start have refused to refund the Reservation Fee to me. They say that there was no contractual obligation on them pursuant to the Reservation Agreement to be the freehold owner of Victoria House at the time the Reservation Agreement was entered. They also say that no time frame is stipulated in the Reservation Agreement for exchange of contracts in relation to the purchase of the leasehold title in the relevant units. Fresh Start say that this is because they cannot stipulate when they may be in a position to exchange contracts in case their purchase of the freehold is delayed.

• I am very upset and frustrated that Fresh Start have now been in possession of £15, 000 of my money for in excess of 7 months seemingly without being in a position to progress the sale of the leasehold titles referred to in the Reservation Agreement, but have stated that they are not prepared to refund that £15, 000 to me. In my opinion, it is completely unreasonable for them to retain my £15, 000 for a seemingly indeterminate period. Based on the above facts, I am very concerned that I will not recover my £15, 000, nor will the purchase of the leasehold properties proceed and I will be considerably out of pocket.

Elizabeth Tonbridge

Nov 11, 2011
Check this sent by pm:

I too recently purchased a property from Fresh Start. It was part of a repossessed unit they had bought from Northern Rock. When they offered it to me, they said all I needed was to make a deposit of 2000 pounds and the rest upon completion. So be it. I decided to proceed. The images of the property were quite superb and I thought maybe a few cleanup inside the house and new carpets, a bit of paint and house was ready for renting out. Infact, before purchasing I several times asked the sales guy how the house was, and each time he's response was so positive - so much so that he insisted I could immediately let it out. Anyway, long story short, before committing my 2000, I asked the sales guy to agree to some of my terms and conditions, especially if the property failed to meet expectations, and that, before exchanging, I would get to view it.

2 Months later, I kept asking them to let me view, and they just wouldn't. Finally after much pressurising, they bent and allowed me to view it. The house was a tipster. It had been damaged beyond small repair. The rooms above had all the timber and wiring sticking out - it was a mess. I took all the photos and headed back to their office to speak to one of the sales guy who I had dealt with all this time. Keep in mind, I had travelled long distance to go view the property. I very politely told the sales guy, that this is exactly what I hadn't paid for and that I'd like my 2000 pounds reservation back. There would be no negotiation etc, but simply give me the money back. His response was, id have to speak to my boss - Phil Wright.

Despite my various emails to the sales guy - i was finally told, that there is no news on getting your refund, and you will have to take the legal route to recover your monies. This is after he promised that he would speak to his director Phil and get back to me. So was this something Phil suggested him to tell me? What was I going to be able to do right?

Wrong. The moment I was told of this, I placed a Court Claim against Fresh Start Limited. Few days later I got a letter confirming that Phil had his solicitors respond to the claim and would defend themselves at court. Infact I was looking forward to going in and fighting this case as I had paper trail and proof of what had been promised to me before making the reservation payment.

A day before the cut of date for court response, I got a call from his attorney. They wanted to settle out of court. They paid all the reservation fees plus all the costs I had incurred.

Lesson ----> Ensure you get terms and conditions agreed to via email before committing yourself with any companies of this sort. It was the emails that put me in a winning position.

Furthermore I had my own lawyer advising me what to do - and I have been told, any terms and conditions that are agreed by email is equivalent to 'contract'. Should they not deliver according to what you have stated in your terms and conditions, they are in breach of contract.

Many people feel that the companies only can put a set of terms and conditions for you to sign, whilst they have nothing against them. This is not true, you too can tie them down to your own set of conditions. And should they not be willing to agree or sign them, then you need to take caution.

I hope this email helps as I see many customers having suffered, and the amounts are way too large.

For those who want their money back, and especially if you have something in writing to which they have been in breach off - take them to court. Your accounts will hopefully be settled.

Just so that you know, all the sales people involved in selling me the property no longer work at the firm. I have to admit, when I walked in the day of the complaint. I saw around a bunch of school leavers (it felt) sitting in a room of around 20 of them like a trading floor and calling up clients (cold calling). Therefore anything that the sales person tells you over the phone, please do take caution into believing what you hear, this is just to get you bought into the deals. They are just young and their income probably is mainly commissions, therefore you can imagine why they are so heavy into marketing.

Choppers12

Mar 5, 2012
We also were involved in the ISSLER (NRAM) portfolio,we have rec' our reservation fees back and have a letter confirming that they will refund costs that we charged them with. Our legals say that the letter makes them accountable and WE WILL take them on if they don't pay. However the real cost of this fiasco for us has been the wasted time and frustration. Men out of work who were contacted to undertake renovations on two properties that exchanged contracts but never completed.Endless phone calls,e mails and a complete fiasco with the lender now,as we don't know how much to draw down because we haven't found alternative property yet. We should have completed Feb latest,and by now would be getting rental income in... VERY VERY dissapointed with this company.
Will keep posting with outcome.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 6, 2008
I have moved this thread to a private forum while I investigate the content, as I have received a serious complaint.

If you make further posts on the public forum please ensure that they are based on fact and comments are supportable.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Joe E

Aug 5, 2011
Re: Freshstart Living Limited – Absolute Living Developments, DS7 Limited

Developers Link To Failed Firm

A company behind a controversial bid to turn a derelict government building in Runcorn into flats has distanced itself from another firm that went bust under a cloud of anger from investors and the Advertising Standards Agency in 2013.

Absolute Living Developments (ALD) has applied to convert East Lane House next to Runcorn Shopping Centre into 448 studio and single-bedroom flats.

On Friday, it confirmed to the Weekly News that it had taken over some part-completed developments from Fresh Start Living (FSL), which went into liquidation in 2013.

The company’s statement came after the Weekly News found loan documents lodged with Government business website Companies House relating to third party lender DS7 Ltd.

The forms showed that DS7 had loaned cash to ALD for the East Lane House project, with the terms of the contract granting DS7 Ltd power to appoint one of its officers as a receiver in the event that ALD goes into receivership.

The contract also gives DS7 Ltd the power to ‘take possession’ of the flats in the case of ALD’s demise.

Another form lists the recipient on a forwarding address for DS7 Ltd as ‘for the attention of Charles Cunningham’.

The Weekly News asked ALD whether this was linked to former Fresh Start Living director Charles Alexander Clunie Cunningham, who was the subject of a critical article by Daily Mirror investigative report Andrew Penman in September 2013.

Further documents on Companies House showed that a former Fresh Start Living director, Philip Wright, had been a director at ‘Absolute Living Developments (Orchid Point)’ – another company with a loan from DS7 Ltd.

ALD’s spokeswoman said Philip Wright had been on the board of a ‘vehicle’ that owned a FSL development site acquired by ALD.

He was replaced after the acquisition.

She said there was ‘no relation’ between ALD and DS7 Ltd.

Fresh Start Living went into liquidation in 2013.

Andrew Penman, of the Daily Mirror, said the firm had left investors fuming after they alleged they were left out of pocket having pumped thousands of pounds into properties renovated by FSL.

FSL was also investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after a complaint was made over the firm’s claim to have made a £4m profit. The ASA upheld the grievance.

The Business Desk reported in September 2013 that Stockport Council and Greater Manchester Fire And Rescue Service were taking separate actions over safety breaches.

An ALD spokeswoman said: “Absolute Living Developments have acquired a number of developments around the country.

“Some of these were part-completed developments from Fresh Start Living which were acquired when it went into administration, one being Orchid Point whereby Absolute Living Developments acquired the vehicle that owned the site.

“Philip Wright was on the board of the vehicle and was replaced when the acquisition completed – there is no other connection between Absolute Living Developments and Fresh Start Living.

“DS7 Limited is a lender to Absolute Living Developments on certain developments.”

Halton Borough Council’s development control committee is due to hold a ‘special meeting’ tonight to decide whether to allow ALD’s proposed conversion of East Lane House into flats.

The scheme has been blasted as ‘barmy’ by Halton Lea ward’s Cllr Dave Thompson.

ALD insists it will attract young professionals and key workers.

By Oliver Clay, Runcorn Weekly News / Liverpool Echo

Joe E

Aug 5, 2011
Viewpoint Salford, Manchester View, Aspen Woolf, Prime Noble Properties

Looks like the old "Ford Lane Halls" is now being sold as Viewpoint Salford and from the photos on other forums it is in a worse state now than it was when Fresh Start Living were flogging it in 2012.

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
Golden Sands Developments, Midland Mills Bradford

Just seen this on a property forum.

Ameer Abas was a former director of Absolute Living Developments (ALD), whose collapse this year is being investigated by police in Hong Kong. He is listed at Companies House under the name Ameerali BIN ABAS.

The liquidation of ALD has left three projects in Bradford unfinished and has sparked protests in Hong Kong, where hundreds of buy-to-let investors fear they have lost millions of pounds.

Abas is now a director of Golden Sands Developments Limited, another company which builds apartments and sells them to overseas buy-to-let investors.

Current developments:

Midland Mills, Bradford
Victoria House, Bradford
Platinum one, Bradford
Royal Riverside, Sheffield

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
Viewpoint Salford, Manchester View, Aspen Woolf, Empirical Property Group Ltd

Anyone investing in Viewpoint Salford, be aware that this property is owned by FSL Properties Ford Lane Limited, a company owned by Empirical Property Group Limited, previously known as Fresh Start Living (Holdings) Manchester.

Charles "Charlie" Cunningham is connected to all these businesses and you can see his track record here:

Fresh Start Living: Investors and tenants hit by dodgy flats deals:

Fresh Start Living: Investors and tenants hit by dodgy flats deals - Andrew Penman - Mirror Online

FreshStart Living is shut down by the High Court:

FreshStart Living is shut down by the High Court and at last there is action on on bogus self-employment - Andrew Penman - Mirror Online

Charles Cunningham, Andrew Camilleri, Viewpoint Salford, Fresh Start Living, - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
Re: Freshstart Living Limited – Absolute Living Developments, DS7 Limited

Developers Link To Failed Firm

A company behind a controversial bid to turn a derelict government building in Runcorn into flats has distanced itself from another firm that went bust under a cloud of anger from investors and the Advertising Standards Agency in 2013.

Absolute Living Developments (ALD) has applied to convert East Lane House next to Runcorn Shopping Centre into 448 studio and single-bedroom flats.

On Friday, it confirmed to the Weekly News that it had taken over some part-completed developments from Fresh Start Living (FSL), which went into liquidation in 2013.

The company’s statement came after the Weekly News found loan documents lodged with Government business website Companies House relating to third party lender DS7 Ltd.

The forms showed that DS7 had loaned cash to ALD for the East Lane House project, with the terms of the contract granting DS7 Ltd power to appoint one of its officers as a receiver in the event that ALD goes into receivership.

The contract also gives DS7 Ltd the power to ‘take possession’ of the flats in the case of ALD’s demise.

Another form lists the recipient on a forwarding address for DS7 Ltd as ‘for the attention of Charles Cunningham’.

The Weekly News asked ALD whether this was linked to former Fresh Start Living director Charles Alexander Clunie Cunningham, who was the subject of a critical article by Daily Mirror investigative report Andrew Penman in September 2013.

Further documents on Companies House showed that a former Fresh Start Living director, Philip Wright, had been a director at ‘Absolute Living Developments (Orchid Point)’ – another company with a loan from DS7 Ltd.

ALD’s spokeswoman said Philip Wright had been on the board of a ‘vehicle’ that owned a FSL development site acquired by ALD.

He was replaced after the acquisition.

She said there was ‘no relation’ between ALD and DS7 Ltd.

Fresh Start Living went into liquidation in 2013.

Andrew Penman, of the Daily Mirror, said the firm had left investors fuming after they alleged they were left out of pocket having pumped thousands of pounds into properties renovated by FSL.

FSL was also investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after a complaint was made over the firm’s claim to have made a £4m profit. The ASA upheld the grievance.

The Business Desk reported in September 2013 that Stockport Council and Greater Manchester Fire And Rescue Service were taking separate actions over safety breaches.

An ALD spokeswoman said: “Absolute Living Developments have acquired a number of developments around the country.

“Some of these were part-completed developments from Fresh Start Living which were acquired when it went into administration, one being Orchid Point whereby Absolute Living Developments acquired the vehicle that owned the site.

“Philip Wright was on the board of the vehicle and was replaced when the acquisition completed – there is no other connection between Absolute Living Developments and Fresh Start Living.

“DS7 Limited is a lender to Absolute Living Developments on certain developments.”

Halton Borough Council’s development control committee is due to hold a ‘special meeting’ tonight to decide whether to allow ALD’s proposed conversion of East Lane House into flats.

The scheme has been blasted as ‘barmy’ by Halton Lea ward’s Cllr Dave Thompson.

ALD insists it will attract young professionals and key workers.

By Oliver Clay, Runcorn Weekly News / Liverpool Echo
Investigation continues into collapse of Bradford flats developer as number of people alleging deception grows

Investigation continues into collapse of Bradford flats developer as number of people alleging deception grows (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus) se_continues_as_number_of_people_alleging_deceptio n_grows/

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
Rotherham Development linked to Dubious Investment Schemes
Work is slow on a housing development in Rotherham town centre with development companies wound up and even linked to protests in Hong Kong by worried investors.

Revised plans to convert the historic Howard Building into self-contained studios and apartments were approved by the planning board at Rotherham Council in 2015.

The prominent former college building was sold prior to going to auction after it was advertised as a development opportunity and given a guide price of £250,000 by local auctioneers, Mark Jenkinson & son.

With little evidence of the conversion into twelve, one bed apartments and 60 studio apartments at "Howard Residencies", applicants, AVRO Developments headed into insolvency, with Rotherham Council leading the petition in 2015 to have the company wound up.

Financial documents link AVRO Developments to DS7 Limited which has acted as a lender to Absolute Living Developments, Fresh Start Living and Empirical Property, all highlighted in the media as leaving buy-to-let investors out of pocket.

Similar schemes in Manchester, Bradford and across the North of England were sold off plan to investors with the promise of decent returns, but the work was never completed and companies were wound up and projects moved on in complex deals. In some cases where some work was carried out, tenants were left with exposed electrical wires, a leaking roof, an illegal gas connection, a car park strewn with contaminated waste and an open sewer pipe.

The Telegraph & Argus reported this year that police in Hong Kong are conducting an international investigation into Liverpool-based Absolute Living Developments, which had been part-way through three apartment projects in Bradford when it was placed in compulsory liquidation. Overseas investors fear they have lost their money paid in deposits.

Howard Residencies is currently being offered as an investment opportunity by Crown Union (located at a virtual office in London and shares directors with companies linked to the Howard Building and DS7 Limited). It is offered as an "Ideal purchase for investors looking at UK Buy To Let's as a way of getting onto the first rung of the property investment ladder. From dynamic apartment layouts to classic period façade and stonework surrounds, this redevelopment brings together Rotherham past and present to create a truly unique place to live for post-graduates, young professionals & key workers."

Starter pads and 1 bed apartments are being offered at £49,950 and £69,950 with an 8% ROI per annum.

FreshStart Living is shut down by the High Court and at last there is action on on bogus self-employment - Andrew Penman - Mirror Online

Investigation continues into collapse of Bradford flats developer as number of people alleging deception grows (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus) %20%20se_continues_as_number_of_people_alleging_de ceptio%20%20n_grows/

Flat buyers smell scam in UK projects - The Standard

http://dmh.plcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dmh_howard_web.pdf

Crown Union website

http://www.crown-union.com/item/howard-residences/

by Tom Austen http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
A former public schoolboy has been named as the alleged mastermind behind a multi-million pound property development fraud, according to High Court papers.

Charles Cunningham, whose time at Eton overlapped with Prince William’s, has been identified in court papers as controlling a series of companies used to defraud Asian investors of millions of pounds by enticing them with UK developments that were never completed.

The son of a City financier, Mr Cunningham, whose brother Rupert is friends with some of Prince Harry’s inner circle, lives in a large country estate in North Wales with his wife. The couple boast a who’s who of society contacts.

Mr Cunningham, 38, flatly denies all the allegations and has said that he is confident that a High Court hearing will overturn the freezing order which was brought by the liquidator of Absolute Living Developments.

He has been accused of being one of the masterminds behind ALD, which offered five large development projects in northern England that were marketed to investors in the Far East and South-East Asia.

But in April 2016 the company, which boasted developments in Runcorn, Manchester and Bradford, went into liquidation.

ALD is one of a raft of UK property companies that have become mired in controversy in Asia. Hong Kong investors and politicians have accused the UK authorities and police of turning a blind eye to multi-million pound ‘fraud’.
Hong Kong politicians have reported ALD to the Serious Fraud Office and have also asked the Chinese government to protect the interests of Chinese investors in UK property projects. The news comes as Beijing attempts to slow down the outflow of capital from the country.

Liquidator Louise Brittain was recently granted a £14.5 million freezing order in the High Court, designed to prevent ‘steps to dissipate or secrete assets’ from ALD by Mr Cunningham and a business partner.

In her High Court affidavit in support of the order, the liquidator said she had discovered that ‘a substantial proportion of the monies owed and/or paid to ALD…had been wrongfully diverted’ to three companies, named as DS7, Gozon and EPG Manlet.

Brittain states that the ‘three companies form part of a complex structure of entities under the control’ of Mr Cunningham and his alleged business partner, which, she claims, ‘has been used to defraud investors (most of whom are based in Hong Kong and Malaysia)’.

Mr Cunningham told The Mail on Sunday: ‘These monies were not wrongfully diverted and a forensic report is currently being prepared which will establish the exact payments and the legitimacy of those payments made by these companies.’ ALD, set up in 2013 to market properties, is linked to a Salford-based company called Fresh Start Living. In 2011, Mr Cunningham was brought in as the face of FSL, but the firm went bankrupt in 2013 with debts of more than £2 million.

Mr Cunningham, whose ancestors include baronets and a Founding Father of the American constitution, has a social media profile showing that he is Facebook friends with Ben Vestey, a close friend of Prince William, and Edward Guinness, a scion of the brewing family.

In April 2016, Mr Cunningham bought a large Georgian country house in North Wales for more than a million pounds. It has played host to visiting literary giants Lord Byron, William Wordsworth and Sir Walter Scott. Mr Cunningham told The Mail on Sunday: ‘The freezing order is a cynical abuse of power. DS7 categorically refutes all claims and allegations made by Louise Brittain and it will challenge the injunction and debunk any allegations with the very facts and evidence that they have deliberately withheld.’

In the court papers, the liquidator states that ALD would take 50 per cent of the purchase price usually before the company had even bought the property. Investors complain that the properties were never actually completed.
Mr Cunningham admitted that some had not been finished, but blamed a group of Malaysian businessmen who he claimed were the ultimate owners of ALD.

Source: Adam Luck – Mail on Sunday

Hilmer

Jul 20, 2011
R v Andrew John Camilleri (2018) – An IVA Proposal and War of Attrition

On Monday 29th January 2018, following a private prosecution, Andrew John Camilleri was unanimously convicted by a jury at Manchester Crown Court of making false representations in an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (“IVA”)[1] proposal contrary to section 262A of the Insolvency Act 1986. The prosecution was brought by one of Camilleri’s many creditors.

Private Prosecution for false representation in IVA Proposal