Warning about Made.com

KS123

Aug 24, 2020
ordered a sofa for my daughter's 21st...it has not arrived and the excuse is unbeliveable...
So a sofa - a gift to our daughter for her 21st birthday has left made.com's warehouse and not arrived at the delivery company's warehouse...and we get told it's lost in transit...this is actually theft surely - you cant easily lose a sofa...and you aren't prepared to share details of the method of transfer... When it was never dispatched for delivery, we should have been informed. So now no sofa bed for her house for guests and guest arriving friday - what are our rights to recompense...its been on order for 12 weeks...

Reactions: Orla Smyth

alicebelly

Sep 4, 2020
I have had a similar problem with them. Cannot believe this kind of thing can happen in this century. We moved to a new flat. Because we rent it, it was completely empty, had to buy all of the furniture at once. So thankfully we got the bed on time, ordered it from Ikea. But not so much luck with the sofa.. we ordered it from Made and overall it took us 6 weeks to get it. So can you imaging: we had to sit in the living room for 6 weeks watching tv on the floor only cause they could not manage to deliver it on time. Very disappointing experience tbh..

Lalli

Oct 21, 2020
I have had a similar problem with them. Cannot believe this kind of thing can happen in this century. We moved to a new flat. Because we rent it, it was completely empty, had to buy all of the furniture at once. So thankfully we got the bed on time, ordered it from Ikea. But not so much luck with the sofa.. we ordered it from Made and overall it took us 6 weeks to get it. So can you imaging: we had to sit in the living room for 6 weeks watching tv on the floor only cause they could not manage to deliver it on time. Very disappointing experience tbh..

Lalli

Oct 21, 2020
DO NOT BUY FROM MADE.COM! Shoddy products and shoddy customer service.
Bought the Margot chaise longue but it very quickly (within 2 months) became very uncomfortable, I rarely used the chaise as I have other daily use sofas and I treated it more as an occasion chair. I spent 3 months arguing with Made.com about its poor quality, the padding had clearly deflated and I could feel the frame beneath me. Highly uncomfortable.

They sent two “independent” Home Serve engineers who both agreed with me that it was very poor quality, my TK Max sofa I bought 6 years ago is better! But neither of these agents wrote what they had told me into their reports, just said no technical fault.
I took my complaint to the Furniture Ombudsman (a body that retailers like Made.com have to pay to be part of... hmmm... of course they will side with people like me who pay them nothing over their paying members, right!?). They also sided with Made.com (what a surprise!!!), saying that there was no technical fault. I never argued that there was, I consistently accepted that there is no technical fault, my issue was with how poor the quality was. Around 15-20 friends and family members have sat on it and been shocked at the poor quality.
Will never buy from Made.com again.

Orla Smyth

Dec 4, 2020
BEWARE!!!
Paid over £1000 in full for a sofa last May and it never arrived. Phone number no longer in service and don't respond to Chat. I am devastated, especially as I believed it to be an ethical company. I now have an empty sitting room for Christmas and can't afford another sofa- this was a big investment for me and I have been duped!

Erica

May 13, 2021
Made.com kept my money for over four months, then decided they could not be bothered to fulfill my order so issued a refund with barely an explanation or goodwill gesture. Its now been over a month of back and forth and they refuse to offer so much as free delivery for my next order as goodwill.

Truly appalling level of customer servic.

To be avoided at all costs.

TonyB119

Sep 8, 2021
Exactly the same experience with (a) unexpected and uncommunicated delays, and (b) a complete lack of willingness to come up with an alternative solution.

Two Harlow sofa orders originally placed on 27 June for a new unfurnished flat; the larger chaise sofa with a expected dispatch timeframe of 4-6 weeks (so 24 Aug to 7 Sept), the second 3 seater 10-12 weeks.

On 27 August I logged into my Made.com account to discover that the larger sofa had been delayed to 26 October, a further 9 weeks with no warning.

Clearly I reached out to Made.com, and 5 days later they finally responded to tell me that I have two choices: (1) live with the very late delivery and maybe there will be some compensation; or (2) cancel my order.

From other reviews the compensation is a bit of a joke (I saw one which said £35 for a 6 month delay) - so I tried to suggest an option 3.

I could see online that they have other Harlow sofas which have much shorter dispatch times. The only thing is I had purchased my sofas during their flash sales - so I suggested that they transfer the discount from my original order to a new order.

And here after 6 days of “trying to work out the best way to help” the computer said no. They were unable or probably unwilling to extend the same discount (£400+) that I had on my original orders onto a replacement order, and the same response came back that I had to either cancel my order or live with the delay.

To me that just sounds like needless profiteering. As even if they did extend the discount to me on a shorter dispatch time (still late, but somewhat more bearable), they would I’m sure put my original order back online for sale at the full price and recover that money!

Still trying to decide what to do about this order as cancelling will just give them the opportunity to sell the item at full price, and me left with nothing but a sour taste after tying my money up in their bank accounts for the last 10/11 weeks. Debating now whether to accept my money is tied up with them for longer, just so I can get the sofas delivered, then return them immediately so at least they can’t resell them as “new”. It just seems to be a lose-lose scenario when dealing with them.

Reactions: AKelly

Faulkner40

Mar 28, 2022
I have had similar bad experiences with Made.com which would make me warn anyone from using them for expensive purchases.

I bought a crockery set with 12 dinner plates, side plates and bowls from them. The quality was appalling though and they chipped and lost their glaze within months.

I went back to them, but was told I had to have asked for a replacement within a month for it to be valid. I had spent almost £500 and the sets should have lasted longer than a month, so this time limit is unreasonable. I am now having to take them to a small claims court to get money back as they will not engage with me directly.