Warning about Made.com

sellibus

Feb 26, 2013
thank god i read all these posts! I was literally about to spend a LOT of money on their website as it seemed really good value but as so many of you seeem to have had serious issues with them i think i will definately be taking my business elsewhere! thanks everyone... that was a close shave!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
thank god i read all these posts! I was literally about to spend a LOT of money on their website as it seemed really good value but as so many of you seeem to have had serious issues with them i think i will definately be taking my business elsewhere! thanks everyone... that was a close shave!
Congratulations! You've made a great decision :D

Lost Highway

Mar 28, 2013
It took me about three months to pluck up the courage to order from made.com because of this forum but eventually I did, because I really liked a sofa from their website and £500 was a reasonable price. I first went to their showroom in Notting Hill Gate, but because the showroom isn't that big they didn't have the model I was interested in. As the furniture there looked descent enough, I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

I ordered in mid-January and was told it would probably take till late April. Then I got an email late February that it would arrive more like late March. They kept me informed when it went to their courier company, who then got in touch to tell me that the sofa would be delivered. It did arrive within the assigned three hour slot and the delivery men were fast and polite, so I'm happy with their costumer service. In fact this was one of the best experiences I had with furniture delivery, a similar experience with Habitat ten years ago was far worse, including late delivery and a damaged product.

My only slight problem would be with the sofa itself. It isn't bad, but it's also not quite the quality as I'd like and it's not the most comfortable sofa I ever owned but then I suppose you get what you pay for. Next time I will make sure I go and look at a sofa before I buy it.

mappyman

May 6, 2013
I received a chair which was faulty and it seems it was made wrong and had sharp metal coming from the back sticking out. It was not damaged in transport but looks like to me a problem with manufacture. I was given the option of a discount or that it could be picked up and I get a refund or either a replacement. That was acceptable and fair however it is not as simple as that unfortunately.

If it was to be picked up I had to be responsible to send back and to package in such a way it is not damaged further. I was told, If it was damaged further I was responsible for any further damage and would be liable for the costs. After throwing away all the materials I thought it too much bother to repackage and to pay if anything further happened in transit. I was told that I could either except some vouchers or agree to have my chair fixed by a technician of theirs, so I accepted the later particularly as I was told it would be at my convenience.

I was told they would come at my convenience. I arranged an appointment for an a.m. visit so I had to stay home and expected a technician to come between 7am to 2pm. He did not arrived and I had to go. However he did turn as I was about to go out. He came at 3.pm.

He wrote in his book that he could not fix item as customer had to go out. He did not say that he had come to late and made it look like it was my problem. I had to wait for what seemed like an an age for another appointment and did not get a reply for some time and when I inquired as as to when one would come I was told they had been trying to contact me but had failed...As if it was my fault again.. Been waiting an age for my chair to be fixed and gave up and asked them to pick up after all. Now I am told it is 10 weeks for a new chair...yet on their site it says it is a 5 day wait....

The chair I received is not as advertised and neither is the service....

On the web site and advertisements every things looks jolly....From experience I can say things are not quite as they appear....I have had nothing but inconvenience. ..Better service found elsewhere despite what is said....tread with caution...

mappyman

May 6, 2013
I thought I had to wait as my item was being hand made especially. Thats the impression I got. The reality is they wait for enough orders to come in then order them on Mass in China and the wait is down to that plus the long distance they have travel.

From myexperience I found the quality not as good as Made.com has advertised. It is not only down to the sharp metal part coming out from the back of my chair. Neither was the reason that one thought of sowing up the sides. Or the missed quality control. Nor the lack of care by customer service. Nor the wait for a technician that was sent to fix at my inconvenience that did not arrive when stated. Or them telling me (as an excuse) for not coming is that they could not contact me on a second visit.

After explaining my constant disappointment I was offered an inducement to keep the item. I considered it but wondered why I was sent a defective product and I did not buy from a reject shop so refused. I considered having another item. Yet when told I would have to wait for 10 weeks after all ready waiting long enough, I thought enough was enough.

Made.com is certainly not the up and coming company that I had expected.

I feel I have been misled. ..........avoid...

SteveS

Jul 23, 2013
I travelled to London to have a look at the sofa I wanted. It looked good. Returned and ordered by phone. That all went well.
I was then contacted by their shipper Dale Group. They were very rude and unhelpful and could not offer any other date than the one that suited them, 12:00-15:00 today. I rearranged my life to accommodate them and reorganised the sitting room.
At 3pm I phoned to say where was it. "We have been, phoned, left a card, took a photo of the door." I never left the house, there is no card, and neither my mobile or landline have recorded a call. They may have a photo of the door...I have no idea. They implied I was a liar about the card and phone, and having been in the house the whole time.
So, my only complaint about made.com is they cant organise a quality shipper, BUT THAT IS AN IMPORTANT DETAIL. I have never experienced the furniture.
Somewhat sadly I cancelled the order. I hope that at least the refund is prompt.
I would AVOID.

HP Lovecraft

Sep 10, 2013
Just wanted to add another tale of woe to Made.com 's long list.

I ordered a £700 bed three months ago. The bed was delivered very quickly and without problems and only when I started to assemble it did I discover that the headboard was for a double bed and the footboard for a King Sized one.

When I alerted them to this they were very apologetic but offered no firm date for when the correct footboard would be delivered. On hearing this I decided to ask for a full refund but then changed my mind when.....

1. The delivery company's 'rules of collection' were ridiculous. They couldn't specify a day of collection let alone a time. OK if you work from home perhaps but not very helpful for the majority of the population.

2. Suddenly they had discovered a spare footboard (funny that they couldn't find one until I had demanded a refund) which they said they could send by courier.

It's now nearly 3 months since my first order and guess what....Lot's of apologies and excuses but no sign of the footboard.

£700 for a big pile of firewood.

Luckily thanks to this forum I've discovered they are based in Notting Hill Gate. Unlucky for them that it's only 40 minutes from my house and I'll be able to pay them a visit very shortly and deliver the incorrect footboard through their showroom window.

;)

Shadow blues

Dec 23, 2013
I ordered a large corner sofa from made.com. In November 2012. I was told a week after I purchased it about reviews of the company and it's delivery partners. Absolute terror hit me. However my sofa was delivered yesterday on time, excellent quality as stated by made.com. We are absolutely delighted with sofa and the delivery were on time, removed all packaging and were professional and polite.

cjk66

Dec 23, 2013
I ordered a sofa from made.com in mid September. Despite several assurances that they would get it to me for Christmas I have now been told it will arrive in January. They claim they deliver within 12 weeks. They also say they will not charge until items delivered but they have debited my account. Dreadful company.

Lauren20

Mar 26, 2014
I ordered an expensive chair which cost almost £600 with delivery. I waited 10 weeks as advised. On the day of delivery, the wrong colour chair was delivered. I telephoned customer services immediately who said they would look into the whereabouts of my chair. My chair was loaded onto the van that morning, (apparently) so their guess was, that another customer must have my chair and would probably contact customer services too. That didn't happen.

They gave up trying to look into where the chair might be and ordered me a replacement. When I say 'gave up' they didn't actually even look into it. I was offered £70 compensation and told to wait another 10 weeks. I took a day off work to wait in for the chair. I will have to take another day off to wait for the second delivery. The delivery cost almost £40 so I felt the level of compensation was shocking. I ordered the chair for my wedding - obviously I won't have it for then.

They have not used any initiative to try and find out where the chair is. Any reputable company would have a record of where items have been delivered to and would try to help the customer as much as possible.

When I complained further I received unhelpful, generic responses which failed to acknowledge their mistake. As they very kindly pointed out (not!!) I didn't have to accept the compensation and could have cancelled. Thanks Made.com! Yes I could have cancelled. No apology. No chair. Out of pocket £600 and expected to wait 5 months. Obviously they take the money when you order!!! Scandalous.

Avoid - I expect another generic response to this!

gilliano

Jun 3, 2014
I agree, the service is appalling, I order a lamp on the 3rd feb, I was told the delivery would be buy the 5th may, which is long enough but I went with it, then I was told 2nd june now im being told 4th july. They were quick enough to take my money in February but to dispatch the goods its a joke company. has anyone ever received there goods in decent time? They shouldnt take orders for items they cant promise. Warning to everyone, if you want your goods within 6 months of parting with your money DONT buy from made.com.
they had the audacity to offer me a £15 voucher but I never want to buy anything from them again so politely told them no.

Machieboy

Aug 30, 2014
I was all set to buy a sofa bed and other furnishings, but will now look else where. Its a shame because the style and price looks great, wasn't expecting the quality to be outstanding for the price, but I couldn't cope with the incompetence.
Thanks for saving me from the insanity

nothingbutepic

Oct 14, 2015
England
As I know Made is the biggest brand and very well known, but after reaching above discussion, I have changed my mind. Tried search something good with quality too along with price.
Visited in Derbyshire at Authentic Furniture, they were a little high with prices but the quality I found was awesome. One of my friend suggest me to go there. I bought wood dining tables from AF. Looks quite supreme to me.

yant4u

Nov 28, 2015
Shocking, shocking shocking service and product.

After long consideration i bought a sofa from made.com. While the pre-delivery service was acceptable when the sofa arrived it was all faulty with a severe creaking noise when you seat on it. I called them and the Lady answered the phone initially was quite ok and gave me normal customer advise. however it was more of a Lie than customer advise. They arranged for a technician to look at the sofa and that took three weeks.

The technician came and assessed as following
Action Description - The service technician has viewed the furniture, and cannot find any signs of misuse. He has examined the effected item to find movement of the back section of the sofa. The technician has carried out an internal inspection to find issues with the framework.

Two weeks after i had no contact from made.com. i called them up and asked whats going on. I was told to simply buy another sofa, submit a refund request for the faulty one and they will come and collect it which leaves me three months without a sofa. So in effect i just become another customer and buy a new order instead of them just replacing the faulty one. However the painful part is that the lady i spoke to in the first instance told me that i could keep this sofa until they replace it which leaves me frustrated as they seem to make the rules on the go. Its all about boxing the customer into a corner so they just accept the faulty sofa and forget about it.

Dont buy from these cowboys. :mad:

BarbaraJMcAnally

Jul 6, 2016
I've been thinking of buying one from made.com. But after seeing this, I' now having second thoughts. I don't think I'd be buying from them anytime soon.

DPG

Oct 31, 2016
Unfortunately, Made.com service does not appear to be improving since the first post over 5 years ago.

This year we have purchased quite a lot from Made, but when something goes wrong they drop the ball and you have to fight for your rights.

One order alone, they have failed to get right now for over 4 months and are misleading consumers with respect to availability of products.

The company appears to suffer amnesia about events and consumer protection and think that it is acceptable not to deal with anything even when informed immediately by their delivery company and ourselves on the day of delivery that the goods are faulty (again).

So on the positive side, their products do appear to be well put together, however, if you want to be a customer, make sure that you know your rights (Distance Selling, Consumer Protection Act and Consumer Rights Act) and be prepared to keep pushing.

Currently threatening legal action to get them to even acknowledge that we exist as they have ignored us now for a week. (Note: if we were demanding a refund, they would rapidly be heading for a further breach for failing to provide a refund).

ecohip

Dec 22, 2016
Do Not order from them.

I was promised a 40% discount to just wait for their sale

when the sale came up the discount was nothing like this. They refuse to honor it and to add insult to injury they are claiming they said up to 40% off which is not the case they are lying!

I have missed other buying opportunities as a result of this and their customer complaint staff are rude and arrogant!

riccy

Feb 10, 2020
I ordered a coffee table from Made.com and the transaction went smoothly and I am really pleased with it in terms of the quality. Have they upped their game in terms of quality and customer service as this thread is quite old?

adelebrown777

Apr 22, 2020
WARNING to other customers that there are false offers on made.com such as free delivery. When i tried to place an order it wouldn't work despite clearing stating it was free.
When I queried it they argued it had expired and would not honour it.
POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE

will_nuck

Jun 21, 2020
I've also had a bad experience with Made.com...shocking to read that this is not such an isolated experience!

For me....

"Jenson Bench" purchased in February 2018; Broke beyond repair in October 2018 while my wife and 3 year old daughter were sitting on it and fell to floor (my wife bruising her arm quite badly).

"Boone Dining Table" purchased in July 2017; followed full care instructions (cleaning concrete tabletop only with damp cloth; regularly oiled); thin concrete surface is now deteriorating, with edges peeling away to reveal inner materials and webbing. For a design item this is very poor. Will throw away after less than 3 years use...not what i expected from a EUR700 table...especially one made from "concrete"