Warning about Made.com

papereyes

Feb 28, 2012
Just had a call from made.com, they have now sent me my replacement part (after 3 months)

They also gave me a new customer contact number, so i hope this helps everyone else who has a problem with them.

There number is

Mar 3, 2012
Terrible experience with made.com.

The delivery men turned up and said they had the sofa we ordered. We explained that we were waiting for a desk.

They then (very roughly) sorted through the furniture in the van and said they couldn't find it, but that it might turn up after they had made other deliveries. They assured us that they would phone later. No phone call.

We asked made what was going on. They said they would investigate. That was three weeks and many emails ago.

Made.com seem to be ignoring us now. Is there any hope of them finding the missing desk? Perhaps we should just ask for our money back?

thelegalizer

Jan 18, 2012
This looks really interesting. I am currently working on a new BBC consumer affairs show and this company look like they are worth investigating. Has any one had the right products delivered? Are they of an acceptable standard?

Made.com Support

Jun 9, 2011
Re: Warning about Made.com - Update from Made.com

Hi Everyone,

The team at Made.com would like to personally apologise for some of the service level issues experienced by some of our customers in recent weeks. We have read through each and every complaint, listened and will act as quickly as we can to reach a satisfactory resolution. We have been caught in a perfect storm of sudden growth coupled with some of our delivery partners failing to meet the strict service levels we set them to meet our customers’ needs but we have a plan and our customers will start seeing some positive changes almost immediately. We are grateful for this feedback from our customers that directs where improvements need to be made.

The following steps are being taken to remedy the situation. We have doubled the size of our customer service team and we are going to continue to develop our team until we reach not just a satisfactory service level but an outstanding one!

We have also rolling out a post sales telephone support number to allow customers to contact us and get the instant resolution they require when things go wrong. This is being done with immediate effect and we hope this will go a long way to removing some of the frustration that has been experienced. The number is 0845 557 6888

We are sourcing alternate carriers that offer a vastly improved delivery experience as well as overhauling our order update process to allow greater visibility of order tracking and delivery.
These steps are a direct result of us listening to some of the complaints in this forum and we have taken the feedback on board. Once again we are very sorry that we have fallen short of expectations but we are a young company on a mission and these complaints have spurred us on to show we can deliver amazing products with even more amazing service very soon!

Zuorio

Mar 20, 2012
I want to share with you my terrible experience with Made.com that has actually not finished yet as I haven't received by almost 300 pounds of refund. First of all I want to confirm that the first issue that Made.com has is the fact that they rely on HDNL for the delivery. I have never seen something more incompetent and rude than the people that work for HDNL. But let me go back to my story: In December 2011 I ordered a Moritz Open storage unit. It was delivered early in January 2012 but because the poor conditions it was kept the furniture arrived damp and damaged. So I discovered that Made.com DOES NOT HAVE A CONTACT CENTRE, exactly they don't have a number to call and complain. After several emails and tweets finally someone told me they were going to replace the item. HDNL came one month later to collect the furniture and I received the replacement in March (when the guys from HDNL wanted to leave the big furniture outside the house when my wife asked to please use shoe covers that we will provide) and surprise THE ITEM FOR REPLACEMENT WAS MORE DAMGED THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE!!!! I immediately contacted Made.com via email but I got a response only after I started to tweet. They told me they were going to refund me but only when the item will be re-collected...here again weeks waiting for HDNL which finally collected the thing from my living room. So where is the money?? They sent me an email saying they refunded the amount I paid but I haven't received anything ... worst they don't even reply to my emails!! Finally I had to contact the citizens advice bureau who helped me to get request to my bank for a refund schema from my VISA. In summary I am not even sure when I have my money back. I have been also advised to proceed with further legal actions which I will certainly do for the inconvenience caused.

I am more than sure that my case is not an exception. A company without a contact number cannot be reliable!:mad::mad::mad:

SimonEccles

Mar 15, 2012
I was going to use made.com to buy myself some new furniture but I'm quite happy I found this post, I think I will have a look somewhere else

ajazgondal

Mar 30, 2012
Well, our brand new bin is coming on 29th of April, so no more complaints. Thank you very much made.com. Will use you again ..............!

kibera

Apr 5, 2012
Thats strange because I have ordered stuff from Made and have had no problems - the same with all the people I have recommended them too.

The furniture is of a very high quality and the price is amazing for what you get. I've just read their reply and they seem to be putting things in place - it just sounds like they have just been too successful.

Its a bit like Ikea - you pay next to nothing for the goods but people expect a Rolls Royce service and massive customer service ...thats why its so cheap.

So give these guys a chance - as I said myself and lots of other people have had no problems and yes you can go elsewhere but not at this price and quality.

SMatthew

May 8, 2012
London
If you are thinking of shopping at made.com think very, very hard. I can only reiterate what other posters have said. The furniture I bought broke within a week. Thereafter the situation became a disaster. Made.com still use a third party (HDML) to deliver and pick up furniture, despite what they have said in their post (June 2011).

It took three months for the furniture to be collected. It took two months and several complaints to made.com before my money was returned. It took two attempts to refund the correct amount of money.

I arranged with made.com on three separate occasions for someone to come and collect the bed and mattress, took three half days off work, and nobody came, nor did anyone ever call afterwards to explain why or to apologise. What did happen was that about once every two weeks I would get a call from a driver who was outside my house to pick up the bed. I was never in because nobody called me in advance to let me know.

At the same time my Dad went in to hospital. I took a half day off when I should have been with him. I made clear to made.com whet the situation was and yet nobody came at the time I had been assured the bed would be collected. This time somebody did call in response to my email. They suggested yet another time when they could pick up the bed again. I told them that I would be in another part of the country (again because my father was critically ill) and we arranged a different time. Nobody came at the arranged time, but sure enough I received a phone call from a driver who was outside the house at the exact time I had said was impossible for me.

HDML would direct my complaints to made.com, made.com (when they bothered to reply to my emails at all) seemed at best indifferent. They mentioned that they had had problems with the delivery company before, but didn’t seem willing to accept any responsibility for the service I was getting. They told me that they had escalated the issue within the delivery company, but I saw no evidence of this and never had a call from the delivery company. I was promised a voucher to compensate me for the inconvenience. It never arrived. I was told they would organise separate transportation to pick up the bed. It never arrived and I never heard from them again. Nobody within either organisation apologised. Finally the bed was only collected by escalating to board level within HDML.

Realist

Jul 14, 2012
London
In contrast to many of the other posts, I'm happy with the service from Made.com having ordered from them on a number of occasions. Made.com are reliant on a high volume business to enable a profit to be made on low margins : they probably do put pressure on their delivery agents to keep delivery costs down and in some instances customers may not feel they're getting a 'Rolls-Royce service'. But that's only to be expected when you're paying substantially less than the prices charged by high street based retailers. If you want the personal touch, pay more and avoid Made.com.

Given pricing, the reliance on email based service (for, let's face it, a web based retail outlet) is not particularly surprising. From my experience, the tracking and notification features have been accurate with each order and goods have been delivered on the dates and times specified.

Seesaw

Aug 22, 2012
I have to say that I find it strange that as soon as someone from the BBc posts on here saying that they are investigating made.com that the company finally decided to reply.
Also I find it strange that positive people start posting. Possibly from the marketing dept?i've noticed this on several negative sites about made.com

I have had a horrible time with them. They are not helpful at all. I have been promised that my delivery will arrive soon (missing parts) but it never has. I am giving them one last chance before I give up and get a refund and from reading these posts it looks like I should give up now.

If you are thinking of buying from them, save your time and money, head else where.

I will post back with an update next week

tigersgirl007

Aug 21, 2012
ive never heard of this company however will bear this in mind when im looking for furniture. Thanks for the warning:)

LoisDesign

Aug 30, 2012
The issue I find about this site is the lack of consideration for the economy.

Many high streets are struggling, and behind those high streets, both long standing and new family and locally run businesses. Of course, they cannot possibly compete with the lack of overheads made.com have made so clear in their marketing strategy.

But what about our high streets? the shops that contribute to our council tax, that help keep our towns alive and interesting, the family run businesses that work day in day out in their shops to be crushed by organisations like made.com who obviously haven't (ethically) thought it through?

personally I can have no support for organisations that are contributing to this countries decline, the loss of our high streets, community and sens of purpose. i would happily pay that little more to get a good local service.

Stini

Sep 12, 2012
Adding my voice to the growing list. I ordered a lamp, a sofa, and two bedside cabinets from them in May. The lamp arrived within a week, with no problems. With the sofa, they used Yodel, so obviously there was a problem and we finally got it three weeks after the original delivery date, after three separate delivery dates had not been met. The Yodel delivery driver who eventually brought the sofa, four hours late, was rude and threatening ("If you don't stop complaining, you won't be getting your sofa, will you?"), so I put in a formal complaint to Made.com which was taken very seriously for all of a day before being forgotten about. During all this I found that the only way to get their attention was to use their Facebook and Twitter pages.

Now, the bedside tables. I was given an original "leaving the warehouse" date of 27 August, which is an exceptionally long time, even given the disclaimers, but I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt - craftsmanship and etc. I sent a couple of emails in the period just double checking a) that they wouldn't be using Yodel to deliver the tables, and b) that they were still coming. Both emails answered promptly; no problem. At the end of August, I began to get a little worried, so got in touch to ask where my tables were. Four days later, this response:

I can confirm that your 2 x Bourbon Bedside Table, Azure Blue is on its way and due to be dispatched from our UK distribution centre by 19/10/12

Dispatched by the nineteenth of October. Not even delivered. With absolutely no explanation as to why. I responded right away, saying that this was unacceptable, reminding them of the outstanding complaint re. sofa delivery and asking for compensation. No response for a week, until I started kicking up at them on Facebook and Twitter. Someone has phoned me and explained there's a 'manufacturing problem' with my tables, and offered me a £50 voucher against my next purchase! I really don't think there's going to be a next purchase...

alessia

Oct 29, 2012
Hi all,

I feel I should add my positive words to the conversation. I am sorry so many people had bad experiences..
I've only ordered from Made once, but I have nothing but good things to say. they kept me updated at every stage from odering to delivery, I even got my chair a few days before expected (the delivery company-can't remember their name) phoned me to ask if I would like to have my chair the following day after 4pm as they had a cancellation. The chair (kubrick) was in perfect condition.
As others have said, it is worth bearing in mind that Made could not possibly offer low price furniture if they had to give the same level of customer service as places such as John Lewis (where furniture costs 3 times as much)...I'd say you get what you pay for, and for me, waiting a long time for a sofa to be delivered is part of the deal. Also, Made aren't the only ones using a delivery company that only delivers Monday-Friday...unfortunately this is quite normal with a lot of companies.
As far as I am aware they do have a phone number now, and they seem to be very quick at answering questions on their facebook page. I would certainly buy from Made again. In fact I'm just waiting for some pieces to become available as I have seen a great sofa in their showroom and it isn't on the website yet!

Madinblack

Nov 7, 2012
I'd just like to put anyone's mind at rest who has already ordered from Made.com because when I saw this forum I was terrified that my sofa wasn't going to arrive. However, it just has - as informed by Made who have kept us up to date with delivery dates. Plus the delivery came in the two hour time slot and the delivery men were great and really helpful. Absolutely no complaints other than it did take some time between ordering and delivery but that was made clear when we ordered. I hope this is helpful.

LesleyWelsh

Dec 9, 2012
I purchased a bijou chair from made.com in the summer, delivery problems meant I had to take 3 days off work over a period of time. Was lied to from both hdnl and made.com and not happy.
I ordered a desk and after payment was told it woud take 14 weeks. Also ordered 4 cushions which have just arrived and quality is awful - thin and cheap looking as if they came from a market. I woud have expected better quality. I wanted to return them but was told it woud cost £20. The original delivery cost was £11.60 so It would have cost me £36.60 for delivery and return! This is ridiculous and makes it silly to return an item if the cost wasn't high value( I guess this is what they want)
I am going to cancel the order for the desk as I am now concerned re the quality of product they are selling. If you are thinking about buying from this company, please think twice and understand you probably won't be able to return an item as the cost is so high. Certainly don't buy any cushions as I have never seen such cheap tat - Barnton cushions

nparkin

Jan 15, 2013
Please see the Telegraph article (could not post it here but just google made.com telegraph) on them and make sure you all write complaints under the article. It really is disgusting that a company making such large profits and getting funding of £2.5 million has such disregard for its customers. Yes its all cheaper than John Lewis etc but the reason for this is they ship it in from the far east and leave the delivery and customer service side of the business to someone else.

I also just saw an article in House & Garden on the Co-founders beautiful home so they are racking it in on sub standard products and service as people have fallen for their glossy marketing and trendy style.

JohnDee

Feb 18, 2013
We have recently received appalling service from made.com. They failed to show on the agreed delivery date without the courtesy of telling us first, when they eventually delivered, after we chased them repeatedly, they delivered only part of the order and instead delivered another item we didn't order. Mistakes happen in all business' but what is very poor with this company is that the customer service is uninterested, ineffective and doesn't respond. We (wife and I) have sent so many emails and called so many times to try and resolve the matter and it is a struggle to obtain any form of response. We have been offered some compensation and now that we are trying to claim the compensation they have gone silent. It's a complete shambles. I would guess that they have grown far too fast for their their own good and that the marketing budget hasn't been matched by their investment into logistics. Be warned and be prepared to be very frustrated! I will not order from them again. I am so incensed I have taken the time to write this email.