XL holiday issue

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Update regarding Cate

I have spoken to Cate and the only remaining problem is either getting a full refund on the hotel from the supplier (Holiday Brokers) or getting Cate out to the hotel so she can enjoy the rest of her holiday.

We are waiting for the hotel supplier to confirm or not whether they are able to offer any reduction in their current quoted cancellation charges of 100%.

I am searching for alternative flights for Cate.

The flight cost can be claimed from the CAA and we have secured a refund from the transfer supplier (Holiday Taxis).

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Travelrepublic calling Red and Debbie

Hello again. Can you contact me and advise if you still need assistance. I am hopeful of being able to help you, and if I cant, will be able to explain personally to you why.

Steve
Travelrepublic

steved

Sep 17, 2008
TravelRepublic calling Paul

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Would you like me to investigate the matter for you? You havent given me much to go on, apart from 'similar snags'.

Thanks
Steve
Travelrepublic

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I'll drop Red a line to let him know that you want to help him - I don't think you can send PMs till you have posted 10 messages.

Tony

red

Aug 22, 2008
Hi Steve,

sent PM

Ok so update prior to speaking to Steve. Which i do commend for coming here - hopefully it will give resolution not just a presence.

Actually had a phone call from Travel Republic. They are starting to take notice, whether action is taken is yet to be seen.

They insist they are not profitting from this collapse. If we are to be refunded anything less than 100% for accomodation, some one is !!

They are placing the blame on hotel beds for my circumstances. Though have said they will now send another email to hotel beds which includes the one i have received direct from hotel manager saying they would not charge if cancelled 1 minute before planned arrival (not 14 days Travel republic are saying)

I had already stated this with a CSR though was responded with "we have cancelled your reservation" - even though it was very clear i had not. My CSR obviously was not read and a standard response was given.

I reccomend every one keep a screen print of CSRs as their email system has collapsed, if this happens with computer system you may lose evidence. Screen dump (ctrl + print screen (top right corner of keyboard)) then go to word doc and right click paste.

We have used Travel republic before whether this is the last time is up to them.

What i can say i will state good service and bad. I have a level of understanding with this situation, they were vastly under resourced to deal with it. However, when they have dealt with my issue so far it has not addressed my situation and only been trying to get me to accept a 100% loss - which you may of guessed am not going to. At no time did they ever try to offer me an alternative as we requested.

I had been looking forward to this holiday for a long time, in this situation do they really expect me to lose my holiday, my money and accept the enormous stress it has caused??

I will leave some feedback once i speak to steve, hopefully it s positive.

Last edited:

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Update on Red

I have now spoken to Red (it is ok Tony, pm works). His situation is:

Flights with Freedom Flights. Needs to use CAA claim form to get refund.

Accommodation with HotelBeds. They are currently quoting 100% cancellation charges, so will be charging us the full amount, stopping us offering a refund to Red.

Transfer with A2B Transfers. Similar situation, no refund being offered.

This is not at all ideal, and I can well understand Red's frustration, especially in view of what the hotel manager has told him.

On the accommodation and the transfer, I have emailed our account managers for the respective suppliers asking them to seriously reconsider the charges they are imposing.

I hope to have some news by Monday at the latest.

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
Dear Steved
I am trying to PM you...I really hope this works. Ok, STILL no luck getting through on your phone lines. STILL no response from x3 overdue CSR's. Yes, we're getting very upset our end. Our booking reference is ACM/1176212. I DO NOT wish to cancel at this stage because if we do that, Travel Republic will no doubt keep most of our money. I have done a screen dump of both Medhotels website and Pyramisa website. Medhotels are not charging cancellation or admin fees unless the hotel does. Pyramisa only charge 1 night if the cancellation is less than 7 days from arrival date. So, what is your perspective on this? I don't have another £2800 for new flights to Egypt. So, where do I go now?? Mastercard are in the process of looking into disputing the charges. I'd be VERY grateful if someone..ANYONE from Travel Republic would contact me. Thanks very much in advance, Kind regards, Debbie Bray

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
Thank you Steved!!!

Well,
I just had to make it known that I have been called personally by Steved from Travel Republic (as soon as I PM'd him...thank you so much Steve). As we were not due to depart until Oct 8th, Travel Republic have arranged a FULL refund of my accommodation costs (flights to be refunded by Atol).

I am overwhelmed (and still shaking!)

So, THANK YOU SO MUCH Steve and Travel Republic. My faith is restored.
Deb

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Thank you Steve - from Cate - Steve has just sorted me out - he got me a refund on accomm in hotel in Kos (should have been there from 13-28 Sep) he got me a refund on my credit card. Hopefully it should show soon. Steve is great - no hassle is too much for him - thanks also to Tony Bright cos it was thanks to him that he put me in touch with Steve of Travel Republic - it's so much better when you get the personal touch to deal with your query instead of an invisible army of phones, emails, etc. Shall praise your actions, sorry I called Travel Republic some names, but I think it was the anger in me!!!!! Thanks again.

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Glad to hear you got sorted too LittleDEb - isn't SteveD wonderful?? He rang me too personally - why aren't there more people like that in Travel Republic, so nice to get sorted after only a week of hassle!!! Thank you SteveD - Cate

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Paul do listen to SteveD - he sorted me out my hotel accomm - got me a refund today for holiday lost 13-28Sep - he also refunded me the coach transfer from and to airport on Kos, and hopefully I shall recoup the Freedom Flights through Atol - which I have posted today with the invoice. So that should be the whole holiday!!! Stick with Steve - he's the MAN in Travel Republic!!! My faith has been restored - I'm even going to be rung soon by Lisa to see if I can book another holiday but going from Gatwick!!! (I live near Manchester Airport) but I'm free to go anytime, I'm early retired.

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
To Cate and Red

Cate
SO glad to read your post. That's superb news and YES, I agree with you. Steve has been a bit of a hero in our household this afternoon!! (thank you again Steve. I'd also like to thank Red because it was his post on this forum (which I found by a basic web search) that put me in contact with Steve at Travel Rep.

Cate, I too was at the end of my tether and was getting very angry in my CSR's. It was purely the fear and the 'not knowing' and the thought of losing so much money. In hindsight, I can see that the team at Travel Rep have probably had one of the worst weeks of their lives too.

So, once again... a HUGE thank you to everyone on this thread for your posts (Red), your understanding (all of you) and your help (Steve!). I only hope now that Red can be helped too.

My faith has also been restored in Travel Rep.
Deb

Cate

Sep 17, 2008
Thank you Deb - for your reply - I don't know what made me go to this forum only yesterday and I read Red's issue and realized it wasn't only I who was in this TravelRep's mess!!!! I still can't remember how I got there, I think I was reading Martin Lewis's Money saving tips, and somehow got diverted to the forum, managed to log on - and wow - thru Tony's contributions he got us SteveD!!!! That's what I call quick action from Steve, in less than a day I got results - Thanks to Red also cos that was the first posting I read!!! Cate

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Update

Thanks everyone...still waiting on news for Red, but have an acknowledgement so know they are working on it.

Hoping for news on monday now. 1815 in Spain...

Steve
TravelRepublic

steved

Sep 17, 2008
Red sorted now too...

I have just received confirmation from Red's hotel supplier(Hotelbeds), that the hotel is not charging for hotel booking (he was not able to travel), and so we are now able to refund.

We have already received ok to refund the transfer cost, leaving Red to claim for the flights from the CAA.

I think we are mostly sorted on here, but if you have just been watching and still need assistance from us, please ask. We still have a lot of similar problem bookings to sort, so are still experiencing delays.

Steve
TravelRepublic

Reactions: Cate

red

Aug 22, 2008
Yes i can confirm that Steve, rang soon after i Pm'd and was most helpful. It appears he rang whilst we were out on Friday evening, unfortunately we missed the call. However, i checked CSR and it states as above a full refund will be given for accomodation and transfer.:D

Just seems i need to find out when this will be made and we can take a deep breath and book another holiday unless Steve was ringing to tell me they had arranged a free holiday as compensation for time and stress involved;)

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Steve. Steve was able to resolve matters in less than 24hrs from how it appears at present
I will give a final update once ive spoken to him.

Also, well done to whatconsumer.co.uk this case demonstrates the power of forums and bringing issues to the forefront.

To create a dedicated place for consumers to discuss issues is far from an easy task. There has obviously been many hours of dedicated input into creating this site which i highly commend. The success in this case for me and my partner shows that this will be the place for consumer advice. I will be spreading the word and telling friends and family for sure.

In regard to Travel Republic i feel grateful that i will receive my costs back which was the right thing to do. Though i do wonder about those that were not prepared to fight as i and others within this thread have done - what will be there fate?

For sure it is good publicity for Travel Republic that they are making positive resolutions to people within this thread and does show a forward thinking attitude which i do like. Some companies may well of read the thread but would have done very little or nothing about it.So with this, well done Steve and Travel Republic for doing the 'right' thing.

It has been a very challenging situation for all involved and does raise issues for the future within the travel industry in my opinion.

Is a rethink needed towards their T&Cs so this situation does not arise again?
What implications does this have on the tailor made holiday industry as we would not had this issue with a package holiday.

On reflection i will be apprehensive about booking another tailor made holiday for the time being, until some stability is seen. However, i would return to travel republic if i can have steves direct phone number:) before future bookings.
Good luck to all still seeking resolution. Spread the word about this website as increased exposure equals increased action. Thanks again whatconsumer you have helped put a smile back on mine and my partners face.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Another victory for the consumer!

It's a real shame that companies are not filled with useful people as Steve appears to be! I'd give my eye-teeth to have people working for my own two companies who are so passionate about the dedication to customer service.

Littledeb

Sep 19, 2008
Voting for Red?

Ok
Being a bit thick on the voting thing. Am trying to vote for Red (in the hope that he might win the monthly prize) but cannot see any 'button' relating to voting. Can anyone help?? I have 'thanked' him and I have rated his thread as excellent but definitely can't see anything where I can vote for him as such.

Thanks very much
Deb

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
On the first post there should be a button called "vote" - can you not see it??

Reactions: Cate