Anglian Windows - Breach of Contract

whistler

Jun 25, 2014
Hello People

Just a bit of info that may help you all out....check your contract and make sure it's dated signed and all the boxes are filled out correctly as if anything is missing anywhere on the contract it is not enforceable by law (and they know this).This also extends to their Gold account if you signed on finance ask for a copy of both contracts...if there are ANY changes been made after you signed this is illegal and they will refund you immediately as they are now governed by the FCA.

Also when being quoted by Anglian Home Improvements if you take the list price less the national discounts offered ie...25% on conservatories and currently scrappage less a discount (the salesman/woman has this on page one of their window price list) the commission bandings are as follows.

The salesperson, if sold at this top price gets 15% of the net value.So if it's a 20k deal they get £3k commission....etc
However they will fit all their products 50% less than the quoted top price but if they do there is no commission for the salesperson or the manager and the only benefit is sales figures.:D

With regard their gold account it is the cheapest way to buy however you can pay this off the day after fitting, beware thou it's better to pay most off first and then pay the balance 1 month later and then your early settlement figures will be less.They will ask you to run a minimum of 12 months and this is because if you settle early they lose their commission on this too.

Hope this helps

anglian fail

Sep 30, 2014
Anglian windows are the worst company we have ever dealt with. We have vowed never to use them again. And we have warned our neighbours not to use this dishonest company.
Anglia built our conservatory 12 years ago, so the 10 year guarantee has expired. We noted large cracks and the conservatory moving away from the wall in August of this year. The plans supplied by Anglia for the conservatory included foundations to 1.5 metres as we are on clay ......
Our insurers organised a surveyor and on site investigations noted that the foundations were only 0.5 metres deep and the conservatory was bolted to the house which is not appropriate for a raft foundation. They simply lied about the depth of the foundations, and it seems that no building inspector from their company supervised the work.
The insurers have declined cover quoting defective workmanship, despite the surveyor believing we would be covered under good will as we believed the foundations to be 1.5 metres deep as stated in the Anglian plans . Live oak roots were found to 1.5 metres, but no deeper.
Now we are facing recovery from Anglia on the basis of defective workmanship? This forum and other sites are full of the bullying tactics of Anglia. They seem to have no self respect or sense of decency in claims.
We thought we would have nothing more to do with this disreputable company. We foresee a battle ahead, dealing with a disreputable and dishonest company

We have a similar issue - we had the conservatory pulled down to build a new structure. The Anglian foundations were to constitute the base of the new extension - the proposed specification proposed and approved by a structural surveyor.

On removing the conservatory, the builders did not find a 100ml concrete slab as per the spec, just a 50-60mm sub-standard screed slab. The 650mm concrete footings (foundations) tat were supposed to be supporting the conservatory were only 400mm deep.

We managed to get them in to inspect twice. First time they denied everything (the slab having been nearly completely removed by the builders) - despite admitting that there wasn't a big enough gap to allow for the 100mm slab in "10% of the area".

Second time they came to look at the footings which had then been unearthed. Fortunately, I was on site this time to observe and record the inspection.

Numerous calls to "customer care" and ultimately to their legal department have been exasperating.

They have finally admitted they did not supply the agreed depth of foundation, but are trying to avoid compensating us for the extra cost we are to incur as a diret result of their negligence....

all extremely shameful given they admit responsibility.

I am yet to receive an official apology for the poor trade practice which they admit to - nor an offer of compensation for the resulting cost to remedy the unsatisfactory work they carried out.

I can't link to the video of their inspection - it might amuse / infuriate readers of this forum - but should most definitely raise alarm bells. Go to you tube and search for "anglian home fail"

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
We are new to the forum, but it would seem not new to the tactics of Anglian Windows.

A salesman came to see my mother, had her sign a contract to replace a conservatory which could not be installed, then took a deposit of 4500 pounds. The surveyor said it could not be fitted, Anglian claim breach of contract and sue for another 2500 pounds. We are counter suing

What a scam!!!!! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!!!! YOU ARE WARNED!!

Looking forward to the fight with them tho' :D

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Sue

Go to the county court, take out an action and claim 8% interest on the money they have taken. If everyone does this their tactics will cease to work.

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
If you have a complaint against the practices of Anglian Windows

Please write to:

Mr. Peter Mottershead CEO of Anglian Home Improvements
PO Box 65
Anson Road
Norwich
NR6 6EJ

Anglian Windows take these matters seriously and would like to be kept informed of all mis-selling tactics used by their salesman. All correspondence is taken seriously and all letters replied to.

Regards

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
An update on our situation: we stood our ground with the regional manager saying we are happy to defend ourselves in court if they choose to pursue the breach of contract . He came back to us the next day via text message saying " I have reviewed your notes and have decided to cancel your contract with no penalty". We have still to receive our deposit back but hopefully it will actually be refunded.
My feeling is this company prays on the most vulnerable and backs off when they know they are dealing with people who have means to fight them. Shameful.[/QUOTE]

Did you get your deposit back?

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
An update on our situation: we stood our ground with the regional manager saying we are happy to defend ourselves in court if they choose to pursue the breach of contract . He came back to us the next day via text message saying " I have reviewed your notes and have decided to cancel your contract with no penalty". We have still to receive our deposit back but hopefully it will actually be refunded.
My feeling is this company prays on the most vulnerable and backs off when they know they are dealing with people who have means to fight them. Shameful.

Did you get your deposit back?

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
An FYI

Wrote to the DGCOS

dgcos.org.uk

Thinking Anglian Windows must be members, the reply was as follows

I am sorry to here that your mother has been having problems with Anglian Home Improvements. Unfortunately Anglian Home Improvements are not members of the scheme and are not backed by Nick Ross. This leaves us with no legal jurisdiction to get involved

:rolleyes: Interesting and I hope this helps.

Amby

Feb 10, 2015
Surrey
Anglian should be avoided ,
I am 5 months into a 3 day installation . This is just a short version of events .
They installed the windows without sealing them with foam , covered up the works with trims stuck on the outside with internal grade caulking .
Patio doors out of plumb , came back to repair and cracked the main frame , has to be taken out again .

Bay windows did not fit, refitted (after several weeks) but not sealed and trims encouraged water to penetrate , Bay windows fitted without load bearing bay poles , came back to refit , now out of plumb & unsealed. All my original window frames were loadbearing and although their own manual says , stop if no lintels are evident they installed them so the load is now on the window frames which is structurally unsound.

All this after I warned the fitters as the work progressed that they did not seem to doing the work correctly . But I trusted beleived and the b....t and let them proceed,which was a big mistake. When my suspicious mind got the better of me (47 years in the construction industry as an engineer/surveyor does that to you) and I eventually had it opened up it was much worse than expected .

Having said all that, the managers engaged contractors to rectify the building damage and they are good , but the fitters ( I have had 7 on site) and the "supervisors" are u/s and have let the company down badly .
They seem to have minimal skills other than covering up and b....t and even when given the chance to get it right do not have the pride in their work to do it . Even that could be put right if there as proper supervision and checking on site ,but there is none . Meantime I have the FENSA certificate ???

Currently having new lintels placed in the bay , but now difficult as the structure has been damaged . The windows are to taken out when the bay is stable and replaced by another company as my patience ( which i think has been exceptional) has completely run out .

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Amby

Thank You for letting others know.

We are taking court action (Not such a big deal as under 10k) Anglian do not want to go to court but want to resolve with a phone hearing.

The sales staff are not employees, but self employed closers (get the order, get the commission and their done). The installation people may be the same, its worth asking them and what their qualifications are. i.e.. did Anglian just farm the job out to the cheapest handymen?

Keep photographs, video evidence and a record of every detail.

Write to their CEO Mr Mottershead (in previous post below) do not bother with any one else, the Anglain Fortress is designed to let money in and keep complaints out; they will tire you out and wait for you to give up.

You have rights under the "Sales of Goods Act"

Ignore the threats they will bombard you with about your "Contract" and don't make any more payments. Its a well oiled machine designed to intimidate and make you pay for shoddy work through fear and anxiety. "We will pass to our legal department" "Your Contract Clause Bla Bla" They have a wall of well rehearsed low wage staff to wear you down.

We want to thank others who made postings, we told them to "Get Lost". They threatened us with everything ........ we shrugged it off. We still do not have our deposit back, but the claim is filed in the court.

We have been spared this ordeal.

OTHERS BEWARE AND TAKE NOTE of Anglian Windows and Mr Mottershead

Cmander

Mar 19, 2015
OH no we are in the same boat

we signed and out of our 7 days realize the roof needs major repairs (not picked up by the survey guy who was here for 10 mins from Anglian) it was picked up by a chap for solar panels who said hodl on there is a large dip in your roof and sure enough the wood had rotten away and the whole back roof needs to be redone

I now get a call at 8pm at night saying i am in breach of contract and they want 30% (they have done nothing at this point apart from a dodgy sales guy and a "surveyor" who was here for ten minutes)

this is £800(30%) in our case plus the 90 deposit they have

I will contact my solicitor and write to their ceo

but instantly and all through the waiting for 2 months for these guys to contact us to make an appointment i have felt so uneasy about the whole thing and now apparently i know why because they are in this to lie and steal

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Dear Cmander

Stay calm, the pre-emptive deposit is taken by a subcontracted commissioned salesman designed to lock you in. If you read carefully you will see you signed a purchase order. You are the customer and they only have writes to claim losses, which if they have not done any work are none. Writing to them is a waste of time and a lawyer a waste of money. You are not bound to them at all, they will try and convince you otherwise through threats, but just ignore them. We are trying to take them to court and they will not go! All hot air! You have lost your deposit, you will not get it back. Write to the CEO anyway. Relax. You have been a victim, but end it now is my advice. Don't let them come and do any more survey's or work, write and tell them you are rescinding any agreement due to inadequate consideration to your needs. Or "Go jump in the Lake!" Use a local company who thrive on reputation. You will be glad you did! Don't use the Nationals. That's my "Without Prejudice" opinion ;)

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Having placed an order with Anglian Windows, after 3.5-4 hours of harrassment from the sales rep who would not take no for an answer, promised discounts if we signed then and there and assured us we had 14 days to cancel. We then cancelled within 14 days having paid deposit of£500, no survey had been completed and no work started / or booked. We were then called constantly being pressured into changing our minds etc. After months of back and forth we are now being sued for breach of contract as they state their cooling off period is 7 days. At no time did the sales rep point this out to us, in all the small print on the back of an A3 sheet of paper, we were assured again and again that we had 14 days.
They are asking us to pay £8,800 which is 25% of the total contract, with 20% of this being loss of profit. We defend the claim on two parts firstly what we were advised of 14 days and secondly how can the claim loss of profit when no work is outstanding.

Interested to hear from anyone with similar experiences, and whether anyone has ended up in court and what the outcome was, especially with Anglian Windows.

Or Advice on what we do from here.
Thanks
1) Counter sue for your deposit, you don't need a lawyer (Recovery of Pre-emptive deposit paid due to pressurized and deliberate misselling)

2) What you signed was an offer to purchase, check the small print in 6 font on the back, they signed a receipt of your deposit, they did not sign the contract, the small print says they will consider the offer to purchase and decide whether to accept subject to survey. Clever wording, but is there a contract?

3) Its as if they collect deposits and post them in their accounts as sales to boost profits

4) Write to the CEO

5) You are wasting your time writing or calling the human wall Anglian have in place to fend of victims who have had deposits extorted from them.

6) Loss of profits is not a loss incurred, but your deposit is

7) Don't let them wrap you up in knots with their well rehearsed tactics to palm you off with fear. An auditor one day is going to ask if sales includes challenged deposits; they maybe overstating profitability, especially to Banks (they were in financial difficulty if you research this)

8) Keep us informed:rolleyes:

Cmander

Mar 19, 2015
Hi there

i have been around the Solicitors and CAB plus some chums

firstly if any signed an agreement after 13/06/2014 then the cooling off period should be 14 days on my paperwork i have 7 days

so immediately i will be enforcing my right to a cooling off period of:
12 months and 14 days as they are in breach of the :

Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

I was not as it happens supplied any pre-contractual information about what exactly i would be purchasing although this is by the by

i will let you know how their sales manager deals with this and write to their office, i have reported them to OFT

Will keep you updated how i get on but check your paperwork wishing everyone in this boat the very best and a decent nights sleep

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Hi Cmander

This is a great feedback with quality information. I am sure there will be many others that will appreciate your work.

This will make it harder over time for this sales practice to succeed

Well Done

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
Dear Reader

If you reached this thread via an on-line search relating to Anglian Windows there is another enlightening Watch Dog thread on this Forum by Tony thats well worth reading!;)

Cougar1

Nov 2, 2014
For those suffering after being drawn into contracts under duress by Anglian Windows there may be some hope. The Scottish Parliament has unanimously passed major reforms to Scotland's civil justice system, after the service was deemed to be slow, inefficient and expensive and hopefully this will come to benefit us all. Anglian Windows send in sub contract salespeople to hustle deposits which leaves the customer with little or no legal recourse to get their money back, maybe changes will help unsuspecting customers deprived of their money recover it easier. :rolleyes:

xposay

Mar 28, 2015
Anglian should be avoided ,
I am 5 months into a 3 day installation . This is just a short version of events .
They installed the windows without sealing them with foam , covered up the works with trims stuck on the outside with internal grade caulking .
Patio doors out of plumb , came back to repair and cracked the main frame , has to be taken out again .

Bay windows did not fit, refitted (after several weeks) but not sealed and trims encouraged water to penetrate , Bay windows fitted without load bearing bay poles , came back to refit , now out of plumb & unsealed. All my original window frames were loadbearing and although their own manual says , stop if no lintels are evident they installed them so the load is now on the window frames which is structurally unsound.

All this after I warned the fitters as the work progressed that they did not seem to doing the work correctly . But I trusted beleived and the b....t and let them proceed,which was a big mistake. When my suspicious mind got the better of me (47 years in the construction industry as an engineer/surveyor does that to you) and I eventually had it opened up it was much worse than expected .

Having said all that, the managers engaged contractors to rectify the building damage and they are good , but the fitters ( I have had 7 on site) and the "supervisors" are u/s and have let the company down badly .
They seem to have minimal skills other than covering up and b....t and even when given the chance to get it right do not have the pride in their work to do it . Even that could be put right if there as proper supervision and checking on site ,but there is none . Meantime I have the FENSA certificate ???

Currently having new lintels placed in the bay , but now difficult as the structure has been damaged . The windows are to taken out when the bay is stable and replaced by another company as my patience ( which i think has been exceptional) has completely run out .
my four day 'visit is now in 5th month-illegal installation to boot- more of which later
we (posters )need to do more to bring Anlgian marauders to account-individually we have no effect-
watchdog little effect- they know this.

xposay

Mar 28, 2015
what we need is when 'Anglian' is typed in prospective punters get a more balanced info rather that the Anglian only nonsense.
what is coming through loud and clear is Anglian's contempt and abuse of their formerly valued customers.

Has anyone got a copy of Anglians 'six promises' a little pamphlet in which they make six promises to customers???
And
The letter sent out once you have signed up saying how valued you are and making additional promises of service etc
whilst this is all after contract it is worthwhile to promote - broken promises etc
xposay

xposay

Mar 28, 2015
Anglian windows??????????? I must have been mad-

fools rush in-never a truer word spoken.

read these posts and see how you will be treated & what happens when things go wrong.
Are you going to be present at the installation to witness how windows are fitted?
would you know if they are being fitted properly??
would you want to volunteer for the hassle we have all so blindly walked into?
How many satisfied customers know what they have actually got??? if they did not witness fitting.

I would hang curtains in the wind rather than let Anglian near my home.
Yep- NOT even the proverbial bargepole.
As for FENSA--they are funded by the glazing industry .....think about it-