Replacement PS3 Problem, advice?

Jocksir

May 12, 2009
Thanks

Thanks for the info,

Could you suggest as to how a i would go about starting a dialogue with HMV i would like to sound like i know what i'm taking about.

Thanks again

Adam

Jocksir

May 12, 2009
I had to ask the credit card to re-issue the statement as it was binned, so hopefully it should be here soon .

Jocksir

May 12, 2009
Found the receipt

My soon to be mother in law found the receipt in her house, i'm a very relieved chappy it seemed my girlfriend stashed it there before christmas.

I'll contact Sony in the morning and see were we go from there, i keep the forum updated.

:D:D:D

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
PS3 - Sale of Goods Letter

That's good news as you bought the PS3 with your credit card you have the option of making a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Your Address

13/05/2009

Customer Services
HMV

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 01/01/08, I bought a Playstation 3 40GB from an HMV store for £300 which is not of satisfactory quality.

The problem is the device goes into standby a few seconds after it is switched on.

Sony have quoted £145 to replace the Playstation 3 console with a refurbished model.

I wish to claim a replacement from HMV as my contract of sale is with you and it is reasonable to expect a good of this nature and cost to last longer than this. This is one of my statutory rights as described in the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

A copy of the proof of purchase is attached. This is a copy of my credit card statement, which is ample proof that there is a Contract of Sale.

Please arrange for my PS3 to be repaired or replaced or send me £145 within 14 days from receipt of this letter otherwise I will pay for this myself and recover the money through the small claim court.

Yours faithfully

bigeminy

May 11, 2009
PS3 YLOD update

Hi

After my initial conversation with Game (previously posted on this thread), as they were not willing to budge, I threatened to take the case further and take them to court. Their reply is as follows:

'Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry for your frustration. The only thing we are able to do for you is to send it off for repair to TCR the console repair company.

If you send it in to us at the following address we can send it off for you.

Customer Services
GAME STORES GROUP LTD
Unity house
Telford Road
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG21 6YJ

Unfortunately this is the only thing we are able to do.
Should the console be unrepairable then we will look towards a like for like replacement, such as a pre-owned console or a partial refund. '

I am pleased that they are willing to repair my console free of charge but not over the moon about what they propose to do should the console be unrepairable.

I suppose I will have to cross that bridge when/if it comes to it.

Thanks for all your help

s_lyness

May 14, 2009
Faulty PS3

Hi everyone,

I am just new to this forum and have just discovered this thread. I too am having a similar problem with my PS3 as it is not reading any discs whatsoever. I rang Sony and they are saying that as it is past the 18 month warranty period (by under 2weeks!) there is nothing they can do and only offered me the £99 repair option.

Despite a lot of arguing my case, the customer service advisor would not budge but I said I would like to speak to a manager or supervisor so she passed on my details and I am now waiting a call back from Sony.

I purchased the console just over 18 months ago from HMV, bought it using a credit card and I also have my receipt.

Tony, what would your advice be as to my next move? Contact HMV or the credit card company? Ideally I would merely like the console repaired as it is the discontinued 60gb model.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated,

Steven

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am pleased that they are willing to repair my console free of charge but not over the moon about what they propose to do should the console be unrepairable.

I suppose I will have to cross that bridge when/if it comes to it.

Thanks for all your help
That's great news, makes it all worthwhile : )

If they cannot repair it they can offer you a like-for-like replacement of similar age or a refund with usage taken into account. This is the provision in the Sale of Goods Act. Obviously a brand new one would be better and I can understand how you feel.

This should be a no cost to you so they should pay for or refund any postage etc.

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi everyone,

Tony, what would your advice be as to my next move? Contact HMV or the credit card company? Ideally I would merely like the console repaired as it is the discontinued 60gb model.
You can contact either, but probably makes most sense to contact HMV in the first instance. Use the letter two posts above and let us know the outcome.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi

Having read similar stories - I thought I'd post mine - for advice on what to do next.
My son's PS3 stopped working about a week ago. When he powers it on - the green-light flashes and then it goes into stand-by mode. Being an avid gamer - he is inconsolable at the minute - as if he's lost a limb!!!
I proceeded to call sony as I'd bought the PS3 about 17 mths ago (christmas 07) and knew it'd probably not be under warantee by Game (which is where we bought the device).
As with others, Sony offered a 'refurbished' console for the bargain price of £145 - with a 3 mth warantee period.
I didn't think this was the best of solutions -so instead took it to a local repair shop. Unfortunately they haven't been able to repair it -so we're back to square 1.
Due to the 3 mth period warantee - I was wondering if it would be better to cut our losses and buy a new one - but I did read that some people have mananged to get a 12mth warantee??

What to do???

thanks in advance
The cheapest option will be to get HMV to repair or replace it using your statutory rights. Even if it breaks down after 3 months you are still protected by your rights - the warranty is additional.

Jocksir

May 12, 2009
Good news everyone!!

I would suggest calling the sony care line on 08705 998877 if you have a similar problem to mine, they will give you a ref number and ask you to fax in your receipt to 01923 241 516 making sure you can see the date of purchase on the bottom of the receipt.

I waited 24 hours after faxing it and called them they are going to repair/replace my ps3. They are collecting it on Monday by courier and are classing it as a in warranty repair even though my system is 19 months old all they needed was the receipt, i should have it back within 6 to 8 days.

Well done Sony

Thanks again for your help Tony

:D

s_lyness

May 14, 2009
Faulty PS3

Just an update on my faulty PS3 case,

I managed to speak to a supervisor at Sony over the weekend and as a result of a lot of arguing my case to them they decided to relinguish and give me a replacement console. They didn't even ask me for a receipt! It's coming on Friday by courier. My advice anyone who is just out of warranty is to keep phoning them back AND speak to a manager or supervisor as they are more likely to listen. I'm definitely going to take out the continuous play option once the 3 month warranty expires as I do not want the same situation to arise in the future...

Thanks for your help Tony and keep up the good work on the site Tony!

Jocksir

May 12, 2009
Update

Got my PS3 back today, 3 days after it went in for repair.

Thank you Sony well done

elastimum

May 13, 2009
Thanks Tony...
So your advice would be to contact Game (where I bought the PS3) and insist they replace/repair it?? Or would I be better contacting Sony as some other people seem to have had success via this method?
Unfortunately I do not have a receipt but I think I could track down a credit card statement if this was required.

garethsmyth

May 20, 2009
Bolton
Hi,

If it is no more that 6 months hold insist that they replace it with a new one. You have the right to choose your remedy under section 48 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. You are not required by law to have a receipt, merely proof of purchase. I also note you state you paid by credit card, assuming the purchase price in total was over £100 then you can claim the price from the Credit Card company if Game do not move on their decision. Game are obliged to repair or replace the product depending on which you assert.

Regards

Gareth

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You have the right to choose your remedy under section 48 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
Not really, the standard custom and practice, which relates to reasonableness, fairness and proportionality, is that traders are given the opportunity to repair first, then replace, and finally refund.

See below:

48BRepair or replacement of the goods

(3)The buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods if that remedy is—

(a)impossible, or

(b)disproportionate in comparison to the other of those remedies, or

(c)disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.

(4)One remedy is disproportionate in comparison to the other if the one imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison to those imposed on him by the other, are unreasonable, taking into account—

(a)the value which the goods would have if they conformed to the contract of sale,

(b)the significance of the lack of conformity, and

(c)whether the other remedy could be effected without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(5)Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to—

(a)the nature of the goods, and

(b)the purpose for which the goods were acquired.

Confused_Dude

May 25, 2009
right heres the deal, i've read through everything on this thread and:
i bought my playstation 3 from choicesuk.com on the 6th of march 2007
i have an invoice email as i payed online (a la credit card)
on friday last week, my ps3 had a mini fit, and now as mentioned before on this thread, refuses to start (keeps lapsing to blinking standby light). this was not my fault, as i was playing it at the time, and didn't spill anything on it, and left it in a well ventilated area...
i contatced sony who offered to replace it for 145 quid. i promptly truned it down. then my attention was turned toward this website. from what i understand, tony is the big boots around here, and to him i implore, will you help me???
thanks so much.