Replacement PS3 Problem, advice?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
No, your only hope is to appeal to their better nature and for them to give you a freebie.

Tony

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
It broke again (after less than 48 hours after picking it up from the shop) with the ylod. I've been on the phone with them and they would be willing to give a full refund if it breaks again (which I have no doubt it will). This is good news, but it kinda leaves me back where I started - without a functioning ps3. Is there anything else I can do apart from just buy another ps3? Do you think it would be worth contacting gamestation and just hoping they don't ask about the repairs? Or has anyone had experience of their ps3 actually being permanently fixed after they'e ahd the ylod?
Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is worth a punt. You could ask the repairer for an engineer's report to back up your claim too.

Tony

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
Gamestation says they would have replaced with a 250gb ps3 slim if I hadn't gone to Chips first where the warranty was removed for their (attempt at) a repair. They say they wouldn't accept an engineers report, and that as the warranty has been replaced with a different sticker there is nothing that I can do, even after I explained my circumstances. They claim that the warranty seal covers the sales of goods act and therefore they won't help me. I'm guessing they are correct about this and that there really is nothing I can do (although please tell me if there is).
I don't suppose I can get Chips to replace my ps3 can I? I had the idea that if Gamestation are claiming they can't help me as the repairs may have caused it to break, I could somehow claim that Chips repairs caused it to break and get a replacement off them?
If you have any suggestions about anything I can do then please tell me because I'm all out of ideas.
If not I will just have to go ahead and buy a new one.
Anyway thanks again for all your help, and if it happens again, I'll definately use the sales of goods act first, as I'll learn from my mistakes.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Chris,

That may be Gamestation's view, but you don't have to agree with it. Ultimately it is for a judge to decide with all the evidence available i.e. report stating that PS3 has inherent fault and it was not caused by Chips. Obviously this is more time, hassle and expense.

I don't think you will have a case to get Chips to replace it unless they have broken it, but another repair might be possible?

Tony

Moneysavingprincess

Dec 16, 2009
Just found this thread after searching online for a solution to my PS3 problem. I personally don't know much about PS3's so please try explain items clearly - thanks.

On 10th October 2007 I bought a PS3 60GB console from Amazon.co.uk for my husband, it was bought as part of a 'bundle' for around £350 (I can't work out exact cost as some items are deducted because of the 'bundle' offer). It has been well cared for, well ventilated etc but today when playing a rented DVD it suddenly cut off, yellow light came on then a red light started flashing. The rented disc is still inside, it simply won't eject this & this needs to be returned by Monday. How can I get this disc out?

I have contacted Amazon who say out of warranty so go to Sony, I am aware that under the 'Sale Of Goods Act' I can expect an electrical item of this price to last more than 2 years so I have replied to Amazon stating this but just wondered what I can expect now. I have said to them I am willing to accept a repair of this item (I don't want to be charged for a refurbished model with a 3 month guarantee from SONY like I have read online) or a refund taking into account the amount of time I have had the item.

Some of the order was paid for on a Gift Certificate & the rest on an old debit card which is no longer active, does this affect anything?

Amazon's reply to my email was :-

All electronics item purchased from Amazon.co.uk come with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. However, on checking your order *********, I found that it was placed on October 10, 2007 and warranty period has expired.

I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to take further action against this item.

Also, please be informed that we currently do not offer an extended warranty on the electronics items sold by the retail stores, unless otherwise stated.

We encourage you to consult the manual that came with the package for warranty and service information.

In the majority of cases, we have found that many functionality issues can be resolved by closely following the instruction methods described in the manual or by contacting the manufacturer to ascertain if this is a known issue.

In general, we have found that common faults have been recognised by the manufacturer, and that they have developed quick and easy solutions.

You may contact "Sony" by using the following:

Website address: sony dot co uk

Camera, HD TV, Blu-ray, MP3 player, laptop : Sony

Phone Number: 08705 111999

I would like to appreciate your understanding in this case and hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon

This was the full order if it helps, Amazon have split the order as it was dispatched in seperate parcels.

1 of: Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version) [Video Game]
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£349.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: £297.86
Postage & Packing: £0.00
-----
Total before VAT: £297.86
VAT: £52.13
-----
Total: £349.99
Promotion Applied: -£73.76
Gift Certificate Amount: -£43.31
-----
Total for this Delivery: £232.92
Total paid by Gift Certificate: -£43.31

1 of: Heavenly Sword (PS3) [Video Game]
£29.99

1 of: HDMI Cable (PS3) [Video Game]
£12.48

1 of: FIFA 08 (PS3) [Video Game]
£39.99

1 of: Formula One Championship Edition (PS3) [Video Game]
£29.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: £95.69
Postage & Packing: £0.00
-----
Total before VAT: £95.69
VAT: £16.76
-----
Total: £112.45
Promotion Applied: -£18.70
Gift Certificate Amount: -£93.75
-----
Total for this Delivery: £0.00
Total paid by Gift Certificate: -£93.75
-----

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome,

We need some good money saving tipsters round here : )

Have you seen this: Faulty Playstation 3 Rights | Consumer Information

Get an engineer's report hopefully stating that it has an inherent fault and write them a formal letter SoGA letter with report.

There is a template you can use in that post, but you will need to add in the engineers report. You could skip this, but it will save time if you do.

Tony

Moneysavingprincess

Dec 16, 2009
I have indeed read that information thank you but don't fully understand it all or where I stand with my issues at the moment.

After a number of emails to & from Amazon this is the latest from them :-

Apologies for any confusion caused. In this case, although we do not have an obligation to do so under the Sale of Goods Act or otherwise, as a gesture of goodwill we can offer you 35 GBP towards the cost of repairs or alternatively an Amazon Gift Certificate of a value of 50 GBP towards your next Amazon.co.uk purchase. Please confirm if you wish to accept either of these offers as a full and final settlement in this matter and I will make the appropriate arrangements.

I have replied back to them saying I feel this an unacceptable amount, and although I don't agree with the amount I am willing to accept a higher offer in gift certificate as I do spend a lot with Amazon. This is probably a daft question but how much can I reasonably expect from them?

Also, any ideas how to get the disc out? A local games shop today advised using tweezers with cotton wool - would this work without damaging the disc?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not sure how to get the disc out in terms of an amount

Sony are charging £128 for refurbished PS3s and you could find out how much they are going for secondhand on Ebay. You need to add in the cost of the disc too.

Tony

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
I've finally got sorted with a new ps3 - I had to buy it myself, but I am happy as something good has come out of it.
I went ahead and bought a new 250gb slim, as I found a good offer.
I also got another re-repair from Chips.
Because of the 3.15 firmware update, I was able to transfer everything (including copy protected saves) from my old system to the new one. I am very pleased with this as if I had got a replacement I would have lost all this. Now I just have to get my refund from Chips now the old one has gone again and I'll be all sorted. Obviously I would have preffered a replacement but as the warranty seal was removed during the repairs I couldn't get one, and I am happy with the result nevertheless. Anyway, now I've finally got a working ps3 I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you've given me.
Thanks again Tony

Jackland

Jan 14, 2010
hey guys,

read through the forums and it seems I've got the same problem with my ps3 as everyone else. I've got the yellow light error, where it just reverts back to stand by pretty much as soon as i turn it on. I rang Sony, but apparently to get it fixed i have to pay £145, because i got it on launch day and the warranty has expired. I bought it from a local blockbuster, and I've still got the receipt so i was wondering whether it was worth insisting that sony repair it for free or just taking it up with blockbuster.

biffy100

Jan 18, 2010
Hi, the info here is great! However its not getting me very far with Amazon uk!!
After 22 months, my PS3 suddenly has YLOD - switches straight into standby with a game still inside. Initially I copied and modified Tony's letter viz PS3's and SoGa 1979, and emailed it asking for repair, replacement or refund. They refused. I re-stated SoGa, pointing out that I could obtain an engineers report to prove the unit had failed under normal use, if requested, and as long as they's pay. They refused. I emailed again stressing my frustration at their 'breach of my statutory rights'. This is the reply:

"My name is Stephen Lourdes and I represent the Executive Customer Relations Group within Amazon.co.uk and in this capacity, your correspondence has been brought to my attention.
I am sorry to hear of the difficulty experienced with the Sony Playstation 3 Console (40GB Version) purchased on nth February, 2008 from your order ###########.
The European Directive 1999/44/EC allows for a claim to be taken (under certain circumstances) for a period up to two years in accordance with European Law, and up to six years under UK law.
This does not imply that an item has a warranty of two years or six years respectively. It merely permits an individual to make a claim under certain circumstances within that time period, e.g. should a fault be proved to have been inherent in the first six months.
Amazon do not provide the warranty. We do, however, cover our obligations under the relevant legislation such as the Sales of Goods Act 1979 in the UK. Under the Sale of Goods Act, a consumer is granted recourse against a seller of goods if those goods were defective at the time of purchase. This may include, in certain circumstances, repair, refund or replacement but only to the extent that doing so is not disproportionate to the value of the goods, having regard to the use the customer has already had of the goods and the nature of the goods.
You purchased your product approximately 22 months ago and, until recently, have used it successfully and reported no fault with the product. Given your satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeded the manufacturer's warranty period, it is not established that the product did not conform to the contract (i.e. was defective) at the time of purchase.
In the absence of any additional evidence indicating that this product may have suffered an inherent defect, Amazon.co.uk is not in a position to offer any additional assistance in repairing or replacing your product.
However, although we do not have any obligation to do so under the Sale of Goods Act or otherwise, in this circumstance as a measure of good will we would like to offer you a choice of the following resolutions:

1. An Amazon.co.uk gift certificate to the value of £56.00 GBP.
2. A refund of £42.00 GBP.

Please note that gift certificate funds are only applicable to items being dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Orders placed with third party Marketplace sellers do not qualify for use with Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificates.
Please reply directly to this e-mail to confirm if you wish to accept either of these offers as a full and final settlement in this matter and I will make the appropriate arrangements.
Please note as mentioned prior, the manufacturer is often in a better position than the retailer to deal with technical problems affecting their products. Therefore, should you wish to pursue this matter, we would encourage you to contact Sony to see if they are able to provide you with any further assistance. They may be in a position to offer a repair service or could provide you with information on relevant charges for an out of warranty repair: "

Phew! A bit wordy, what!?
Well, its a start. Any idea where I can go from here? I am thinking of repeating my offer of an engineers report to give 'evidence of inherent defect' and possibly pointing out that the Fault is caused by Overheating over time that causes the solder points to fracture - hence ps3's failing 18 - 24 mnths after purchase.
What do you think? Your help is much apreciated.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Biffy,

This is their standard response. What you have to do now is get an engineer's report from a local PC repair/console repair shop that proves that it has an inherent fault.

Tony

Mark72

Jan 19, 2010
I purchased a ps3 from game two years ago and last week it died on me, giving me an error code which means basically the blu ray laser has had it! After doing some research online it is apparent that this is a common fault with ps3's. I contacted sony and they told me i would have to pay £130 to get it replaced. They also told me that this only happens to a small percentage of consoles but you only have to look on the web to see it's not! I think its disgusting that a huge corporation like sony cannot own up to using shoddy components in the earlier ps3's making them only last for 2 years...if you're lucky!
Any other large corporation would have a recall on their product if it was known to have inherent faulty components!

I gave up with sony as they refused to either repair or replace the console for free but after finding out about my rights as a consumer i contacted game and they were brilliant! The guy from game was all to familiar with my problem and sympathetic (something sony lacked) and immediately said they would get it repaired for free!

In your case, it may help to inform Amazon that Game are respecting the sale of goods act so why aren't they!

hope this helps

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback on Game you are not the first to sing their praises. I think the advantage they have over Amazon is their own repair shop or a partner that prepares all the reconditioned consoles

Tony

veedub

Jan 20, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am having a dispute with WHSmith over my faulty 60GB PS3 which I purchased in Dec 2007. It lasted 2 years (almost to the day) before I got the common YLOD - whereby the console would not start and I received a yellow light indicator.

Here is my story:
-I called Sony the following day and they suggested that this was not a common error and that a replacement would cost £128 - I deemed this to be unfair as the console cost me £350 two years ago. I therefore contacted the retailer.
-I contacted WHSmith customer services stating that the console was faulty and it was their responsibility under the Sales of Goods Act to repair or replace the console. Initially, they tried to fob me off with the usual excuses ("...we are not the manufacturer, go back to them etc.") but eventually they agreed to take the console in so that their 'Quality Team' could investigate further. I also provided proof of purchase in the form of a scanned bank statement.
-I subsequently posted the console (complete as was sold - plus FIFA10 stuck inside!) back to them and they received it on 21st Dec 2009...

-Today I received the console back with a letter stating that their 'Quality team' were unable to detect a manufacturers fault. However (and I am quoting here) "they have advised that the unit does contain significant amount of dust which may have contributed to its breakdown. The PS3 manual advise owners to keep the unit dust free". As a result WHSmith were willing to offer to pay half of the £128 repair quoted by Sony.

Here is my problem:
-Firstly, the warranty seal is still present on the side of the PS3 console - how could they have opened it up (and discovered dust - I'll come to that point next) if the seal is present? I presume Sony would be the only company allowed to replace (assuming of course that they did infact open the console up) the seal. This leads me to believe that they didn't open the console up as the letter indicates.
-Secondly, in my very first email I stated that the unit was kept dust free and it was taken care of (and I quote again) "...according to the PS3 manual" as I had an feeling this would ultimately be what they would say! It seems that this original statement that I made has been disregarded (I took loving care of the console and kept it in a dust free environment, as it reasonable to expect in the home, with sufficient ventilation in an open-glass-shelved TV stand) and they are using the 'dust' as an excuse.

Can anybody suggest what the way forward would be here?

I am unhappy to pay half of the cost for a repair as I do not believe that WHSmith have opened the console up or that a greater than expected amount of dust (the result of not caring for the console) was attributable to me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

best wishes and a Happy New Year to all,
veedub

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Veedub,

You have two choices either accept their offer or get your own engineer's report to prove that it has an inherent fault. If it does you will be able to claim back the cost of the report from Smiths.

Write them a letter stating that this is what you are planning to do and see what happens.

Try to communicate by e-mail/letter so that you have an audit trail. This will be required if you make a small claim.

This is going to take time and effort, so you might want to think about whether it is worth it or not.

Tony

veedub

Jan 20, 2010
Many thanks Tony, I suspected that this might be the next course of action.

I really don't want to get embroiled in a long 'battle' with them but I am just bewildered that they have so obviously been dishonest.

cheers,
veedub