Replacement PS3 Problem, advice?

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
Hi again,
I did contact Chips after it broke but they said as the warranty had run out I would have to pay to get it repaired again. I'm not sure if as it was a repair, the sales of goods act will apply or not, as I'm not really aware of what rights I have in this situation. Also they said that they have since changed the company with which the repairs are sent off to. Would this affect me or would it not matter?
If I challenged Gamestation, how would I be able to prove Chips didn't cause the damage - is this covered in the same report that you suggest people get to prove it is an inherent fault, or will it be much harder than that?
There is also a game stuck in the machine - Uncharted 2, that won't come out - would I need to include this information in any letter I send, as I don't want to have to buy it again if I have the right to get a replacement if I can't get it back out of the broken ps3.
Could you please advise me on what to do (with any detail not inculded in the article if possible please, e.g. who do I send any letters to, Chips head office or my local branch) as I don't have any experiece doing anything like this, but really don't want to spend any more money on something that is not my fault.
Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi again,
I did contact Chips after it broke but they said as the warranty had run out I would have to pay to get it repaired again. I'm not sure if as it was a repair, the sales of goods act will apply or not, as I'm not really aware of what rights I have in this situation. Also they said that they have since changed the company with which the repairs are sent off to. Would this affect me or would it not matter?
It is not the Sale of Goods Act as it is a service not goods. It is the Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982.

You will be claiming that the supplier did not carry out the service with reasonable care and skill as it is reasonable to expect a repair to last longer than 14 weeks.

If I challenged Gamestation, how would I be able to prove Chips didn't cause the damage - is this covered in the same report that you suggest people get to prove it is an inherent fault, or will it be much harder than that?
I think this will be an almost impossible task.

Could you please advise me on what to do (with any detail not inculded in the article if possible please, e.g. who do I send any letters to, Chips head office or my local branch)s
It doesn't really matter who you send the letter to an e-mail is OK these days.

Hope this helps

Tony

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for your help, I am going to try and get Chips to repair my console again - could you look at this letter template and see if you think it would be alright - I know its for a different act but I based it on your template for the Sales of Goods Act.

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 02/07/2009, I paid for a repair of my Playstation 3 60GB from my local branch of Chips for £100 which is not of satisfactory quality. On the 21/10/2009 my Playstation 3 developed the same problem that I paid to get fixed before. The problem is the device goes into standby a few seconds after it is switched on. I would expect a repair costing £100 to be more than just a temporary fix to my problem.

I believe that the supplier did not carry out the service with reasonable care and skill as it is reasonable to expect a repair to last longer than 15 weeks.

I wish to claim a re-repair or refund from Chips as my contract of sale is with you and it is reasonable to expect services of this nature and cost to last longer than this. This is one of my statutory rights as described in The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

A copy of the proof of purchase is attached.

Please arrange for my Playstation 3 to be repaired or send me £100 within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,
Chris Smith

Would this be good enough to send to Chips, or am I missing something?
Do I need to include any detail about the problem in the email - e.g. game stuck inside, and do you think this should work in getting Chips to repair my console again, or do they not have to?
Thanks again

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Looks fine, but remember this is a service rather than goods

I wish to claim a re-repair or refund from Chips as my contract is with you and it is reasonable to expect a repair to last longer than this. This is one of my statutory rights as described in The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for your help
I have sent my email with your correction along with an attachement containing scans of my receipts to chips head office. Hopefully it will be as simple as this to sort everything out but I doubt it. Anyway, I will let you know what happens when I hear back from Chips.
Thanks again for all your help Tony

that_guy

Oct 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Hello, just found this thread after a day of hunting around the internet for how to fix my ps3 :(
I thought this place seems like a useful site so i decided to register. Hi everyone!

So here is my story:
I originally bought a 60GB PS3 on 01/01/2008, and in September 2008 it stopped reading discs, so I called Sony and they replaced it with a refurbished 60GB as it was still under warranty.
The replacement worked fine until 2 days ago, when i left it on to download an update, came back to it and saw it was flashing a red light.
Now whenever i turn it on the light just flashes and it beeps a few times.

Called Sony again and they said that this one is outside of its warranty and they want to charge me about £120 (cant remember exact amount) to have it replaced with another refurbished 60GB one by a courier.

I dont particularly want another refurbished one, or another 60GB one as thats the second that has broken on me. And i especially dont want to spend ~£120 on it.
What makes it worse is that the original unit I had was sent away to Sony in September 2008, so I dont have the machine I bought from the retailer, am I right in assuming that I now can't take this up with the retailer?

Anyone have any advice for me?

that_guy

Oct 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Thanks for that Tony :)
Im trying to get Sony to give me one of the new slim PS3's which I wouldnt mind paying £120 for. Yeah I lose my back compatibility and card reader, but the new ones might have the bugs ironed out. Sony gave me a reference number and told me to call tomorrow to speak to a manager who isnt there today.

If that fails, then now I know I can go to the retailer with the broken one.

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
Hi again,
Anyway I sent my email to Chips head office on sunday evening, and on the following tuesday morning I got a phone call from my local branch of Chips saying they had spoke to the people who performed the repair and as its only just out of warranty they would repair it again for free! This is good news and I'm amazed how fast Chips reacted.
So hopefully it'll stay fixed this time, but I have my doubts. If the same thing did happen again (just out of warranty), as I haven't paid for this re - repair would I still be able to use The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 to claim that it gets repaired again, and if I could would I still be able to ask for my original £100 refund if they couldn't fix it?
Thanks again for all your help.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess they won't provide a warranty on the re-repair, but this is in addition to your statutory rights. I would expect the repair to last a good few years.

Tony

ChrisSmith24

Oct 23, 2009
It did come back with another 90 day warranty, and sadly it looks like ill be needing it as its got the ylod again after less than a week. So would I be able to claim my original £100 refund if they can't fix it using The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982? Or as it is a re-repair would they not have to?
Thanks again, also has anyones ylod fix actually lasted for a decent amount of time, or is there a way to fix it permanently, as I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep trying to get it fixed, or just to try and get a refund for my original repair and buy a slim. I would prefer to get mine fixed again, as it has backwards compatibilitly and all my saves, but if its going to break again every few weeks I don't see the point.
Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You are not having much luck Chris. You should give them reasonable opportunity to permanently fix the YLOD - that is probably another attempt. If after three attempts then you can try to get a refund.

Tony

EmilioBuono

Nov 20, 2009
Hi there, after my 60GB March 2007 PS3 finally popped its cloggs for its 5th time now (and repairing it the previous 4 times.), I would like to know where I stand with possibly receiving a good will one from Sony, avoiding the now 155 pounds refurbished model. I no longer have the receipt, however the console was bought from Gamestation with a free copy of X-Men on Blu-Ray.

What is a 17 year old like myself to do? :D

thank you!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Emilio,

Do you have any proof of purchase? An e-mail confirmation from Gamestation for example or the purchase on a loyalty scheme statement or on a bank or credit card statement.

Did you pay for the previous repairs? If so, who did you pay?

Tony

EmilioBuono

Nov 20, 2009
Hey Tony,

ermmm i did actually have the receipt a couple of months ago but I bet 1000000% my dad has come in to my room, cleaned it up stupidly, and thrown the receipt in the bin.

because i cant find it. :/ what do I do now? lol

anddddd it was paid with cash :|

are things not looking good for me? :/

EmilioBuono

Nov 20, 2009
nawh bad times :(

im pretty sure a device from this technical era is meant to last a bit longer that 2 and half years, its rediculous that i cant even do anything about it...

what if i use like the sales of goods act or something in my favour?
reckon that could be of some use? :D

thanks Tony :D

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You could use the Sale of Goods act if you had proof of purchase. Without that you are out of luck - I would have a good search of your room

EmilioBuono

Nov 20, 2009
bollocks! :/

i honestly cant find it, i kept it so safe for like 2 years as well, why do mum and dads come in your room and clean stuff up when you clearly dont want them to...

what can i do if i contact Sony or something? Is there any way i could persuade them to let me have a freebie somehow... also using the sales of goods act or some other amazing consumer based act? :D

thankyou again :D