Lovin Makeover Studios - Lovin Models

news

Aug 22, 2012
Hi, I am another victim of this scam and won't detail exactly what happened because it is similar to what's happened to everybody else. The only difference being that I went with a friend and when I told them I couldn't afford to buy anything and just wanted my deposit back because that's what I was promised on the phone - they threatened me with legal action saying that they would discipline that person but I still had to spend a minimum of £450 plus my deposit. When I said I really didn't have that kind of money they asked my friend to pay if she wanted to avoid legal action against me. Finally after hours of trying to reason with them my friend ended up paying so that we could leave that hot clammy office.
I will contact Action Fraud as recommended in previous posts.
I'm amazed that they've managed to remain in business this long and haven't been stopped.

tigersgirl007

Aug 21, 2012
ive never heard of this company but i remember i was 'selected' in a prize draw about 8 years ago for a similar company in London near to Oxford St - think they may have been called coverlook not 100% sure anyway they guy who called me made me wonder what has he been smoking as he was really bigging it that i won 2nd prize which entitled me to claim a free photo and that its not an opportunity to miss, he sounded more excited than me. The 1st prize was a professional portfolio followed by entry to some top nighclub and unlimited drinks. I decided to go as a weekend break with the girls however when we turned up there were about 20 other lucky winners who also funny enough won the same prize as me and more people were coming through the door claiming to have won 2nd prize it was like a cattle market. The photos I had came out nice however the sales pitch I found was very pressured in making the 'winners' buy as many photos as possible and unless you have lots of money to hand out i find they are way over priced. Looking back I wonder if anyone not connected to the company in anyway actually won the 1st prize. These offers/prizes sound great however be warned you could be one of many who fall into this giveaway prize.

westie85

Aug 30, 2012
yes i want to stick together my tel no is 07506760323
Myself and my girlfriend are on the exact same boat as everyone else on here and have been conned. If anyone else wants more information from me please get in touch as I am not the sort of person to let these companies/people go down without a fight.

Thanks

NotHappy92

Mar 5, 2012
After I cancelled my transaction and got my money back I was given a call and was threatened on the phone that I will go to court and I will have to pay the legal fees..the guy on the phone I shud pay 50 pounds a months and every 100 I pay I will be given a photo I have paid 4oo and I have not received nothing I emailed the company and said that I have to now pay in full before I revived my photos

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The only thing I can suggest is that YOU take THEM to court and call their bluff, the more people that do this, the more chance there is of them either cleaning up their act or going out of business.

It will cost you £25 to take them to the Small Claims Court

jenniflower

Oct 17, 2012
I recently went there on the 10th oct and was not good experience atal!
I recieved a call off a lady telling me id won and stupidly agreed to go for it. Whilst on phone she then took my card details and got the fifty pounds then n there in which i didnt realise she was going to do until after! my mistake i guess, but still...days n days go by and i start to get cold feet about it all and with the palava of getting there (as i live in north west wales!!)so i call up again to try n cancel my appointment in which i then find out it will be £125!!!so instead of canceling i re arrange it for a little later.
A few more days go by and i keep thinking about it...(i havent booked any train tickets at this point)and i call them up again to cancel the stupid appointment & question them as to why they need to charge the £125 to cancel & told them i really couldnt make it (as physically i actually wasnt feeling too good with bad throat n all & wasnt fussed on missing out on it!!) i would have let then take just fifty (deposit for not turning up) but not the extra...so the guy says to me on phone he will have to contact customer service and he'll get back to me; but hours went by that day and he never! so i ring them again and lady answers this time...i go through it all again all the nonsense n their lies; i said to the lady on the phone that i didnt want to come as i wouldnt be able to purchase any of the pictures on the day & i dont feel to well and she goes on that i shouldnt miss out on an oppourtunity like this, people pay alot of money for the experience; nonsense about their photography with vogue magazine... and that they could come to some arrangement to pay for the photos in instalments if i were to purchase them blah blah blah chatting for ages... in the end im not really getting anywhere so think to myself - oh sod it, ill just go there get it over n done with (bearing in mind id get my £50 deposit back - in which would've covered my train ticket costs) rather than lose the fifty or even get charged £125 on top!!!
So i get there at 3pm and am waiting 20-30mins at reception after filling out form. Then when i go to get my hair done, that only took ten mins max as all he did was put the straightners quickly through it n bit of hairspray, then the make up...well ive never worn so much and i had two black eyes basically,lol... i could have done better...and should have gone for the natural look!! anyway yes after make up i waited outside the studio for 20mins and few mins before i was called in to get photos done was i asked if i wanted a cup of tea from lady walking past me!(in email & on phone was told you get refreshments...what a joke). Lady was quite pleasant and nice who was taking the pictures but didnt seem to last for that long. After pics were taken i go upstairs again and wait in reception area for a pretty long while!!! Then i go into the office (wish id never; did think about just leaving n doing a runner whilst was waiting to view pics, but i was curious to see how they turned out!). The guy sits me down then brings all pics up on computer; half were ok, half were not!
Then he moves on to the price - after me sitting there for minutes and minutes, choosing which ones i liked and which ones i didnt!... I couldnt believe what i was hearing/seeing! First of all as i had re arranged the appointment he said i might not be able to get my £50 refunded but he will try his best to get it for me (whaaat!?) then i realize i cant actually leave without purchasing photos!...when i clearly told the lady on phone i had no intention or money to purchase any!! The cheapest deal he could offer was for five pictures on CD for £450! i wanted to cry you know... i explained i had no money to get any pictures and he then tells me it would cost me £399 if i didnt purchase any! and still without my deposit!! i couldnt get around him atal, ive never felt so stupid before!! in the end i stupidly signed an arrangement to pay fifty pounds per month and then id get a lousy five photos... however i was angry once i got out the doors (still had tooo much makeup on!!no offer to take it off!)... The nextday i got a new card on order; i wasnt having them take fifty pound(first payment) out let alone four hundred and fifty!!
I've heard that there is ment to be a 14day cooling off period after signing contract and if so would you have any advice on what i would need to do in order to keep them (make-over london) away?? ive left it alittle late maybe to do anything... plus i leave the uk on fri morning also and will be out of the country for a few weeks/months on work. Surely there must be something i can do i know...hmmm (sorry this msg was soo long!)

Ssmona

Oct 30, 2012
This is such a scam! Please do not attempt to speak to them directly. I have fallen for this- really stupid. However, I did not receive an email to confirm the conversation, they just took my money. I tried to call so many times. I got really worried and then cancelled my card. They still managed to take £100. I called the bank and made an official complaint against them. The bank gave the £100 back, but it is still under investigation. The studio called me, furios!! This is bad for their credit record and they are willing to give the money back if I retract my refund. The bank is still investigating and I need to wait for their response. Still don't know if I can loose my money. Really worried about this.

Please do not fall for this!!!!

aeruynh

Nov 28, 2012
I feel so stupid now...

I should have investigated more!

I entered a competition to win a free makeover session (make-overs.co.uk at 57 Warren Street London - Lovin studios), supposedly worth £400 where a make-up stylist and hair stylist would style me for a photoshoot. The wording in the email I received when I won was this : "Congratulations!! You have been selected for a luxurious pampering treatment with a full makeover.
The day will start by with you having a personal consultation with some refreshments and to discuss your desired new look. Your makeup will be applied by one of our top London makeup artists, hair will be dryed style to perfection and your photographs will be captured by our leading team of photographers.
You will end your day by a luxury night out and leaving like a star......"

To make use of my winning, I needed to make an appointment and pay a £50 deposit that would be refunded to me on the day (I was told).

Lond story short I made and appointment, a few hours later I cancelled my appointment because I couldn't afford the 50 pounds, and wanted them refunded (at this point the payment had gone though from my account), I was told Id be called up by someone dealing with refunds. I waited three weeks, as the finance person was out of town. When I got to speak with them I was told they would fix it, but got recalled shortly after by the person I had first spoken to 3 weeks earlier when I made the appointment and cancellation. She (her name was Amy) said that it was difficult for them to repay the £50 pound deposit as they had already paid the full amount for my session to the people doing the makeover (stylist, photographer etc), and that it would be much easier if I would just go down there, enjoy the makeover and then get my deposit back. At this point it had always been that I would get my 50 pounds back if I didnt use them on pictures, which I COULD (operative word).

However.... when my session was over and I was hoping to get my deposit back, I was told that no, the deposit was never repaid in cash, only in product, and that winners were legally obligated to buy at least 5 pictures (which comes to a whopping £300 at the cheapest), and that "this should be in your email, did you read it?" and then I was shown the terms of service on their website saying this very thing. In the email they sent me however they do list terms of service, but never says anything about this very crucial point in this situation, only to say that the whole terms of service was to be found at the website (silly me for thinking that if they include terms of services in the email, they would include all vital parts that are relevant to me - this must be unethical if not illegal, right?).

In short I went into this expecting to get my deposit back, and left with £100 pounds downpayment and an installment plan to pay the rest of the £300 pounds that I did not have (considering I needed the £50 to buy food, obviously I didnt have £300 to spend anywhere, least of all on photos), £50 on dec 15th and £150 on jan 15th.

this was today, November 28th.

Does anybody know what I can do to get my money back, or stop them from taking the next £200? It doesn't seem like there's going to be any pictures at the end...

Ellie13

Nov 28, 2012
On 6/11/12 at 3:10pm I received a call from Tiffany who told me I had won a free makeover photo shoot, I actually didn’t remember entering any competition but I was still excited to have won. She explained to me that I would have to pay £100 deposit just to secure the makeup artist and photographer. When I asked if I would get the money back she assured me I would, as soon as my photo shoot was finished. That was the only reason I agreed to attend. She explained there would be refreshments on arrival and throughout the whole experience, however I didn’t get offered anything when I arrived. I was also told the make-up that would be used would be from companies such as Dior, Channel plus other exclusive brands. What were actually used was very low budget products, for example the foundation used was called Naturals, you can buy this in Superdrug’s for between £1 - £3. I should have brought my own makeup, which costs much more
. The makeup artist said she mainly does elite models, if this is true I doubt she uses that type of makeup on them. I was also supposed to have a consultation about how I want my makeup, when I told her she did totally the opposite, I assume she thought she knew better. In the end I wasn’t satisfied with my make up at all! We then moved onto my hair, I asked for it to look trendy, we decided we were going to do it up, but she ended up just curling it with straighteners and leaving it down, again I assume she thought she knew better. To conclude my experience with both hair and makeup, I was not listened to and the results were not what I asked for.
When I went down stairs for the photo shoot the photographer kept rushing me because he was supposed to finish working hours ago, my friend and I were the last customers so didn’t even get the 40 pictures taken. When the shoot finished the manager invited us to his office to look through the pictures. When I told him I did not want to buy any pictures as I have very limited money and I just wanted to get my £100 back, he was quite rude, explaining to me that I haven’t read the terms and conditions (even though the link in the e-mail was broken I sent you an email about this – including a screen shot). He said I have to buy minimum of 5 pictures with the cheapest ones being £50 each, including the VAT I would have to pay £300 there and then. I explained I didn’t have any money on me, he said he can do me a student discount so I only have to pay £200 he would then use my deposit towards the total, that seemed to me to still equate to £300. When I explained that Tiffany had told me I could have my deposit back he just ignored me and said the only thing that is free is the “experience” and if I don’t pay in the next few day I would be taken to court! I found this a terrifying prospect.
I have subsequently navigated through theyr main website and found your terms and conditions, inside it states: if you require your deposit back you need to send a hand written letter 7 days after confirmation of your appointment, once authorised you will get you money back within 28 working days.
I have since found many similar complaints on the Internet about you’re company and the offer, with many calling it a scam. I have already written a complaint to Trading Standard and The Advertising Standards Agency and I believe many more are lodged or on there way. I have also included a copy of my e-mail that I sent yesterday.

I have sent this to them and have refused pay £200 and said they can try to take me to court but i have enough evidence to put them down if they want to start with me

johnnybwoy

Feb 5, 2013
"I really loved my Makeover Studios DAY Out "
Won a make-over and photoshoot I applied online. Had to pay a deposit to ensure arrival which is understandbale. Super day with me and my boyfriend- Great talemnted staff expecially Enzo the photgrapher

I spent a blinking fortune on prints after my Makoever Studios photoshoot, but I don’t care, they are amazing and I look amazing in them! That is the most outrageous thing I have done for years and it felt really nice to treat myself, not only to a great deal of pampering, and a stunning new hair cut, but to some beautiful reminders of how amazing I can look. Everybody that has seen my pictures is blown away by them. I brought three 20 x 24 one for my bedroom, one for my lounge and one for my bedroom. They were two hundred and forty nine pounds each. Then I got a 16 x 20 for the guest bedroom, that was one hundred and forty nine pounds. Then I got five 5 x 7s to throw around the house, they were fifty pounds each but one of them was free! It came as part of the deal and I was more than happy with that. I got some great frames from Ikea, I was going to get the ones on that day but I maxed out my card! The makeover was totally and utterly amazing and I loved every second of it, especially the free booze! The girls in there, oh and guys, are really great and the atmosphere is amazing. I really loved it and will be going back again for sure but next time I think that I might take a friend with me. Most people in there seemed to be with either friends of family and they were enjoying sharing the experience. I would completely recommend this experience but don’t forget your credit card, you will need it and you will want as many of the photos as you can get!

If you entered for a compettion online for a professional makeover and photoshoot and then go there and moan here about no getting pics, too expensive bla blah bla, jog on! You come to a mekover and photshoot studio and dont get any pictures!!! Might as well go food shopping, look around and leave! Well worth it. Yes a little expenive but the price u pay for quality.

bosunblackman

Feb 6, 2013
love this place! Makeover studios do really good makeovers. I had not heard of them before my friend brought me a voucher to have a makeover with them. The first thing that I did was to check them out online to see what it was all about and I was amazed how cheap the deals are. They do have some pricy ones that include a lot of pictures but most of them are around the £50 per artwork and they gave big a bigger discount when i got a bunch. To be honest I was not expecting much from it at that price. It was a great pleasure to find out that you get such a lot for you rmoney. I have tried loads of different hairdressers in our area and none were as good as the one at makeover studios. I will be going back to have my hair done there again. I did not realize that they were part of Burlingtons who have an excellent reputation for hairdressing. The makeup was also really good, the MAC consutant JJenaid used only MAC \- my favorite and gave loadsof tips and advice whats better foir my skin tone. it was a bit more like stage makeup than what you would normally wear out during the day but they explained to me that they have to do this because the lights of the camera can bleach it out and you can look a bit washed out on the shots. I didn’t want to take it all off when I left so they toned it all down for me and I got my husband to take a lot more shots when I got home so I could practice getting the same look again with the help of the pictures and the chart they gave me. You get on free shot with the package, the rest you have to buy. They start at fifty pounds and got up to two hundred and fifty depending on what size you want and you also have to pay extra if you want them touched up but they don’t do any pushes sales stuff you which is great as I am really bad a saying no when put under pressure but to be honest the shots sell themselves. I am really glad that I had the opportunity to try this experience and would go again in the future. Hightly recommeded for a one of experiecnce - Definately worth it

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Ooooh lots more 'single posters' singing the praises of some dogy dealers, we'll leave you to make your own minds up folks but had I researched this company online as the last poster claims to have done, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole :D

halice17

Feb 12, 2013
Hi, I recently was also scammed by this company. I was browsing through websites one day and decided to enter the competition for a free makeover. I was called a few days after and told that I was one of the lucky winners and that I'd be recieving an amazing day of pampering for me and a friend. I foolishly agreed to give them a deposit payment of 100 pounds since I was told that it would be fully redeemable after the photoshoot....

After getting to the shoot, we weren't greeted very pleasantly by the makeup artist, had to wait to get our hair and makeup done, and did not recieve any refreshments as promised. She did our hair and makeup in about 15 mins each (I do my own better on a daily basis) and then sent off to take pictures. The only good thing about the experience was the enthusiastic photographer.

We were then taken into a room where we looked at the many photos... and as it turned out that each photo was actually 50 pounds each and were only sold in sets of 5. We were astonished as students who thought we actually had one something free but it turns out it was all a scam. We really did love the pictures though and after much pleading and arguing, we negotiated a discounted deal for a whopping 250 pounds all togethor (including my deposit).

So please, do not fall for this as we did. And do not make the mistake I did.

aeruynh

Nov 28, 2012
Hi,

does anybody have any updates at all about this?

I just got contacted today by "2 collect ltd" a debt collector company, saying the case from makeover london has been brought to them for £300!

I am freaking out! I didn't really follow much up on this since the trading people told me to cancel my cards and send them a letter, which they never responded to. They never called me or asked for their money or anything, so I thought it was over and done with and I only had to deal with the loss of £100 (Norwegian banks arent as easy as british banks, and I used my norwegian cards for this as I was flat broke)

What do I do? I tried telling the 2collect people that its a fraudulent company, and the woman on the phone said shed speak with them to clear it up. Obviouslt Makeover London will do whatever they can to steal my money, and I have no idea how to deal with this stuff.

Anybody got any advice??

K.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Write to thd debt collection agency and tell them the debt is in dispute and they must refer it back to their client.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore it because I doubt you will ever see the inside of a court room about this but you nedd to be a pretty strong character to do that.

They can continue getting different debt collectors to chase this for 6 years from the last contact so no contact is good, if you reply it just extends the period.

aeruynh

Nov 28, 2012
Write to thd debt collection agency and tell them the debt is in dispute and they must refer it back to their client.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore it because I doubt you will ever see the inside of a court room about this but you nedd to be a pretty strong character to do that.

They can continue getting different debt collectors to chase this for 6 years from the last contact so no contact is good, if you reply it just extends the period.
I need to be a pretty strong character to ignore it? Why? Will they harass me?

So no contact is good? Won't they just follow up and progress the case? If its in 2collect's hands, then Makeover London dont do anything anymore - its the debt collectors who will, and they might be more forceful considering they think they have the law on their side...

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Yes they probably will hassle you and it will probably be passed from one debt collector to another, just keep them all.

They can sell the debt on so the debt collector owns it but if it's disputed they have to pass it back to the original creditor.

Keep any correspondence you have with them and it may be an idea to print off this thread, I'm pretty confident they wont take you to court and if they do, you have ample evidence of their dodgy dealing.

Worth remembering that ddebt collectors cant visit you at home and have no right of access to remove any goods, only a bailiff can do this with a court order. I have suitable text to respond if you wish but as I said, not responding is better.

Trouble49

Mar 3, 2013
I was scammed by this so called company on the 20th of Feb i've had arguments on the phone with them as well as sending them an email and most recently sent them a letter on Monday 4th March, I lost £100 like most people have on this web site and i am dammed if they are going to refuse my refund, I gave them until today Friday the 8th to refund my money into my bank other wise i will send my letter to all the papers in fleet street. I travelled all the way from Manchester for what i thought was going to be the experience of a life time, What a joke they need closing down i will be phoning Action Fraud later and i will contact the papers, They are not going to get away with this

naz14

Mar 15, 2013
Hello,

I had same experience with this. I have read the messages and this has happened to me. A Briana phoned saying I had won a competition and explained on phone etc etc. Said I had to pay a £100 deposit, so I did, how stupid of me. I made an appointment but changed it to open booking but now after reading other comments, I do not want this. You win a competition, its free, you do not pay a deposit.

I am sending emails wanting a refund but they are not giving me one as I am passed the cancellation period which was not explained to me.

Please can someone give me some help or some advice. I want my £100 back.

aeruynh

Nov 28, 2012
Did you pay with a british card? If you did, then you can report them, first to trading standards and filing a complaint with consumer service people, and get the money refunded on base of fraud.

Someone else on this forum did that, if you can find the post - Lovin studios apparently tried to harass her too, as filing to get the money back through your bank hurts their credit, so they look bad, which they don't want.

But if you stay strong and ignore them, that would be good - you'll get the money from your bank, and their credit will be smutted :)

If you didn't do it through a british bank, then I don't know. I did it through my norwegian bank card, and I never got my £100 back.

Does that help?

Hello,

I had same experience with this. I have read the messages and this has happened to me. A Briana phoned saying I had won a competition and explained on phone etc etc. Said I had to pay a £100 deposit, so I did, how stupid of me. I made an appointment but changed it to open booking but now after reading other comments, I do not want this. You win a competition, its free, you do not pay a deposit.

I am sending emails wanting a refund but they are not giving me one as I am passed the cancellation period which was not explained to me.

Please can someone give me some help or some advice. I want my £100 back.